Dad drinks too much and is in KALYUG

Guest Gurjyot1

Guest Gurjyot1

Waheguruji ka khalsa Waheguruji ki fateh,

saad sangat Ji,  I would like your opinion and advice on what paath I should do, as I’m going through a lot mentally and emotionally because of my father . 

My dad has a bad habit of drinking. He’s learnt from his father. He can’t control his alcohol. He drinks like a fish. Once he’s drunk, he starts getting aggressive and verbally abuses  family members behind their backs and even taunts me saying “ur a girl, I wish I had a boy” or/and  “ I am grieving because I have two girls”.  He’s one of those dads who wanted a boy but that never happened. He’s in kalyug. I can’t even begin to describe the terrible things that come out of his mouth.

My family and I have tried our best to talk him out of it when he’s sober . But he just replies drinking is a family tradition. And that I will not stop drinking. I’m scared cause drinking is injurious to health and I love my dad too much. 

I do ardaas to babaji for him. However, Is there a paath I can do for my father to stop drinking?

I love my father so am willing to do any Paath. 

thank you 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:36 AM, Guest Gurjyot1 said:

Waheguruji ka khalsa Waheguruji ki fateh,

saad sangat Ji,  I would like your opinion and advice on what paath I should do, as I’m going through a lot mentally and emotionally because of my father . 

My dad has a bad habit of drinking. He’s learnt from his father. He can’t control his alcohol. He drinks like a fish. Once he’s drunk, he starts getting aggressive and verbally abuses  family members behind their backs and even taunts me saying “ur a girl, I wish I had a boy” or/and  “ I am grieving because I have two girls”.  He’s one of those dads who wanted a boy but that never happened. He’s in kalyug. I can’t even begin to describe the terrible things that come out of his mouth.

My family and I have tried our best to talk him out of it when he’s sober . But he just replies drinking is a family tradition. And that I will not stop drinking. I’m scared cause drinking is injurious to health and I love my dad too much. 

I do ardaas to babaji for him. However, Is there a paath I can do for my father to stop drinking?

I love my father so am willing to do any Paath. 

thank you 

If He's an alcoholic, he should seek help. Don't feel sorry for him, his choices have been his own, but if he's addicted, he needs help- make sure he gets the attention he needs- many end up passing away due to not getting this/help from therapy, doctors etc. But don't put yourself in harms way or accept Any of his abuse, respect yourself enough to avoid him when he's drunk if he's verbally abusive.

Guest Realist
21 hours ago, Guest Sexist said:

If He's an alcoholic, he should seek help. Don't feel sorry for him, his choices have been his own, but if he's addicted, he needs help- make sure he gets the attention he needs- many end up passing away due to not getting this/help from therapy, doctors etc. But don't put yourself in harms way or accept Any of his abuse, respect yourself enough to avoid him when he's drunk if he's verbally abusive.

Easier said than done….most alcoholics I know say they don’t have a problem and refuse to get help

On 9/9/2021 at 5:02 PM, Guest sewa said:

If you are above 21 and financially independent you should consider moving out or getting married. You father is not going to quit alcohol no matter what you do.Good luck.

Better to work than have a marriage of convenience. To the OP good luck, remember dont accept abuse. To Guest Realist, thats very true, and it's very sad. 

We have groups here called alanon and alateen for family members of addicts to get they help they need dealing with an alcoholic family member. While your father is the alcoholic you're all being effected by his drinking. Like someone says, addicts lie and refuse responsibility, and great portions of this are out of your control. He won't sober up unless he wants to and by that point it won't be easy. This is one of those cases where Sukha Nidaan is preferable to what you're going through. Ultimately you have to focus your resources on keeping your head up,  and get help from the outside.