Jump to content

Man wrongly accused of murdering his wife by lighting her on fire has been awarded court costs, after a judge found there was no evidence that he was anywhere near her at the time


Premi5
 Share

Recommended Posts

Kulwinder Singh awarded court costs after ‘unreasonable’ murder charge

Georgina Mitchell
February 10, 2023 — 5.40pm
 

A man who was wrongly accused of murdering his wife by lighting her on fire has been awarded court costs, after a judge found it was unreasonable to prosecute him because there was no evidence that he was anywhere near her at the time.

Instead, the judge found, it is likely the wife set herself on fire in an echo of a Bollywood movie she had just watched, killing herself accidentally when the fire reacted to the synthetic clothing she was wearing.

Kulwinder Singh faced trial in the NSW Supreme Court accused of killing Parwinder Kaur, 32, by pouring petrol on her and setting her alight at their Rouse Hill home in Sydney’s north-west on the afternoon of December 2, 2013.

His fingerprints and DNA were not detected on a tin of petrol and a lighter found in the laundry, however his wife’s fingerprints and DNA were on both items. When Kaur ran down the driveway engulfed in flames, Singh could be seen running behind her attempting to pat her out.

 

Prosecutors argued at an initial trial in 2019 that Singh either threatened his wife to pour petrol on herself and light it, or had poured the petrol and used the lighter himself, leaving no trace on the objects.

A jury was unable to reach a verdict in the 2019 trial, and Singh was found not guilty following a retrial in 2021.

 
Kulwinder Singh (left) faced trial accused of murdering Parwinder Kaur (right).

Kulwinder Singh (left) faced trial accused of murdering Parwinder Kaur (right).

In a judgment on Friday, Justice Natalie Adams said there was “significant difficulty” with the proposition that Singh was in the laundry when the fire began, because there was no DNA or fingerprint evidence putting him there, and no petrol residue on his clothes.

Adams said Kaur and Singh had been arguing because she had been giving money to relatives to help them migrate to Australia, rather than paying her share of the mortgage.

 

The judge said Singh and Kaur had fought over this on the day of her death, and he began to pack his bags to go to his mother’s house.

Earlier that day, Kaur had been watching the Bollywood movie Gadar, where a woman torn between her sense of duty to her family and her in-laws is hospitalised with an injury, causing her extended family to reconcile because they are so concerned for her.

“The fact that this film was the last thing that the deceased watched before the argument with her husband and her tragic death is informative and consistent with the defence case,” Adams said.

She said the evidence suggested Kaur wet her hair and wrapped it in a towel to protect it, called triple zero, then set herself alight, with fingerprints on the petrol tin consistent with Kaur pouring it onto herself.

 

The judge said it is “hardly surprising” that police would initially suspect Singh of killing his wife, because he was the only other person home, but “the physical evidence overwhelmingly pointed to Ms Kaur being the one who poured the accelerant on herself and ignited it some time later”.

“The evidence as to the plot of the film she was watching immediately prior to doing so confirms other aspects of the physical evidence that, tragically, that is what most likely occurred,” Adams said.

“Having regard to all of the relevant facts, I am satisfied that it was not reasonable for the prosecution to commence proceedings for murder against Mr Singh.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • They are taking over from within. They knew in our Gurus time they couldn't win by force so now they're trying to come into countries acting all "working" and then they spread their faith from within. We were here long before them and the gorreh love us. They know we fought for them and that we are loyal, hardworking and truthful.  To them, anyone who doesn't "submit" (that's what muslim actually means) is an enemy. Just like Aurangzeb and Wazir Khan, all the way to when they would groom Apnian to convert them in London back in the 90s. They can make their prayers discreet but they CHOOSE not to. They want to "normalise" their faith. Once everyone's familiar with it then they will try to force it on people even more. Not many will convert to a completely foreign idea but one that everyone knows already may give them a chance
    • it was. Look up his picture he looks like the spawn of the devil, literally. I don't get scared easily but I actually had a jump scare googling him he looks like pure evil 
    • Paaji if you look carefully when Southall was mainly Sikh (when the Sangat first settled) those areas were great. Ilford is a prime example. Today everyone knows that place is a dump but back when it was just apne and jews the place was spotless. Problem is in London, it's always Jews in an area first and the Sikhs come to stay for about 20 years. But then the <banned word filter activated> move in we all run like it's the plague (we all know why). Same thing happened to Southall, now we're losing it to Somalis rapidly. Issue is that Sikhs make an area good, but when the <banned word filter activated> come we all move and leave it for them to ruin. We need to flock an area and STICK TO IT like they do. Had Sikhs not left Ilford and sold houses to them It would still be okay.
    • Let them try to come for us. Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj gave us a Dastar to stand out and a shastar to defend it. Package deal. Singhs say in schools "another kid pulled my joora down" then I say "tere Shastar kithe si, Maharaj ne sanu ik talwar ditta si, pagg nu rakshe vaaste" We're Shastar dhari for a reason. To protect ourselves and others. And for Singhs in the region, what is stopping them getting 15-20 Singhs together and going down to protect our Gurdware and even other places of faith like we're meant to? Happened in Ilford back in like 2013 with the racist riots, a hundred Singhs and Kaurs flooded Karamsar Gurdwara to guard it. Sadly our Sardaari has been lost apparently.
    • We're still here bro don't worry 💪 . The Singhs on Reddit aren't as nice or knowledgeable as those on here, I don't really like them. For me, this site was a staple of London singhs back in the 2000s which I love. Back when we repped Patkas, Shahi Turbans and Dumalla Sahibs instead of a little black durag tied w a patka cos we're scared to look like real Singhs with a joora on our heads like Maharaj told us to and rep the panth
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use