Guest Alex

hi. i am new to sikhi and i going over the rehat maryada, i still have few questions about amritdhari living, hoping i could ask.

1) i've read it is mandatory to do cold bath in the mornings? is that true or do warm showers work?

2) during bathing, ive also read that you need to keep your head covered with a cloth until you wash your hair and then tie it again as soon as the soap is out. i'm confused on this, is it mandatory? what does it mean? how does the hair dry?

3) do you have to wash with soap everyday, or soap in main parts, and water on rest work?

4) as someone who has heavy and curly hair, it takes a long time to manage and dry. do i have to wash my hair everyday before doing paat because i need to go to work after as well?

3) i tried to keep my head covered at night with a patka, but it slips off during the night. is there any way to keep it on or is it ok?

thank you for any responses.

• 8 months later...
Guest AkaaliSimranKaur
On 6/14/2023 at 1:49 AM, Guest Alex said:

hi. i am new to sikhi and i going over the rehat maryada, i still have few questions about amritdhari living, hoping i could ask.

1) i've read it is mandatory to do cold bath in the mornings? is that true or do warm showers work?

2) during bathing, ive also read that you need to keep your head covered with a cloth until you wash your hair and then tie it again as soon as the soap is out. i'm confused on this, is it mandatory? what does it mean? how does the hair dry?

3) do you have to wash with soap everyday, or soap in main parts, and water on rest work?

4) as someone who has heavy and curly hair, it takes a long time to manage and dry. do i have to wash my hair everyday before doing paat because i need to go to work after as well?

3) i tried to keep my head covered at night with a patka, but it slips off during the night. is there any way to keep it on or is it ok?

thank you for any responses.

hello! okay i'll try to answer all of your questions the best i can, 1-> you can take a bath with whichever water you prefer, cold or hot, it is not mandatory to use cold, you can take a shower however you want; please do not put your body thru unnecessary hardships. it's all hearsay.   

2-> NO, NOT AT ALL. Please be comfortable while handling your hair, washing them and letting them dry properly whichever way you want (sun/air dry or thru hair drier). If you do it the way you have asked this 2nd question you might even be prone to scalp and hair problems, so respect your hair by keeping them healthy, you are not disrespecting your hair but respecting them by giving them proper care, then you can cover your hair when you start your nitnem or going to office or other chores etc. 

3. My dear friend you can shower however you want so long as you thoroughly cleanse your body. shower with soap etc cuz cleanliness is actually next to godliness; keep yourself clean, use products  whicever you want. So long as you are not shaving or removing hair or anything, you are good. 

4. You need not wash your hair everyday. it just cannot be done or else you will be prone to health problems if you wash your hair everyday and they dont fry and you keep them covered with dumala or turban then you will catch a horrible cold starting from your head, which will take a long time to recover. The maryada (code of conduct) of washing hair daily is different, it has to be done when doing certain path or certain baanis that require that maryada. but in everyday you really do not need to do that, just timely washing your hair would do great. 

5. It is okay if your head cover/ patka slips off, or even if you sleep without tying your hair into a knot and just keep a cloth over your hair, because again hair and head need to have exposure to air. so that they will healthy and good and free of any skin or hair problems you need to know that your hair needs air too. 

Dear friend if you're new to sikhi, keep asking questions we are here to answer you; but i will advice one thing, you are in your start right now so just keep in mind that: 1. You do not cut/remove/detach any hair from your body. 2. You do not consume alcohol or any intoxicating substance. 3. you do daily of your preaching (whichever way you follow like nitnem and rehraas sahib sohila sahib etc). 4. if you are unmarried then you do not have physical relationship with anyone and if you are married you never commit adultery. 

And more importantly, please do not intimidate yourself by following stuff like you have mentioned above. do not make yourself uncomfortable and force yourself to do all that. if you have heard more things misleading you please write on this and ask questions. 

Sikhism is about loving god and finding god and discovering god in yourself; if you busy yourself with allll of this hearsay how will you be comfortable enough to go into dhyaan and meditation an feeling that connection with god? sikhism does not tell you to make yourself physically suffer. Its a free fall into bliss my friend. so if you have any doubts please feel free to ask right away, there are a lot of means to get this guidance and knowledge of maryada. do not trouble yourself just ask on this, its fine ifyou ask me i'll try to share with you as much as i'd know. 

Gur Fateh!