The Khanda

GushK

Importance of the Khanda

I think after all the hostility that came about from the activity yesterday, some people need a iltle education on what the Khanda really is and means. Apologies in advance for any mistakes or omissions.

The Khanda has a very special significance within the Sikh faith and it's spiritual significance solidifies the basis and beliefs of a Sikh.It is comprised of 3 parts, the central Khanda (from which the name is derived), the Chakkar and the twin Kirpans.

The Khanda, a large double edged dagger, signifies the divine ability to distinguish truth from falsehood. It is also used during the preparation of Amrit thus carries a very special meaning.

The Chakkar, a circular weapon, signifies the eternity of God by having no beginning and no end. It exemplifies completeness, oneness and reminder to a Sikh to stay within the rule of God.

The Twin Kirpans highlight the twin philosophy of Miri (Temporal) and Piri (Spiritual) sovereignty.

They represent a Sikh's commitment to these goals, giving equal importance to both and at the same time going hand in hand with the role of a Sikh as a Sant/Sipahai (Warrior/Saint).

These three put together amalgamate all aspects of a Sikh's belief and is regarded as a highly spiritual symbol which is not to be flouted or taken lightly. It's significance is such that it is placed on the Nishan Sahib (Sikh Flag). It can normally be seen mounted on a long steel pole at the entrance to Gurdwaras, overlooking the building.

Recently, people have begun to misunderstand the importance of the Khanda (and Nishan sahib) and place it on cars, as tattoos, on clothes etc. You can see youth driv

ing along during Vaisakhi waving the Nishan Sahib as a common flag with no respect or understanding as to it's importance. How far and modern we have become when what was once taken into battle, held high and never allowed to drop, seems to have now fallen to the status of a fashion item.

Gursharan Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

We should all do the sewa of distributing this flyer around Gurdwaras in the UK. Nothing will change overnight unless we start being proactive.

I am so sick of the 'KHANDA ABUSE' out there. People think that being Sikh is to have a Khanda displayed in your car or around your neck or even in their ear ring.

Sikh Shops like DTF don't help in the matter. They further make money by designing merchandise revolved around the Khanda, like key rings, mock boxing gloves, medalions, cuddly teddy bears.

Off licenece shops, Newsagents, Convenience stores have Khandas on their shop signs and they go around serving alcohol, ciggerettes and meat.

And the thong!!! Well sooner or later that was bound to happen!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

but i have a khanda in my car! grin.gif

is that bad?

it can be very useful for me!

sometimes friends will come in my car and then they start asking what that is!

So i can explain them the meaning of Khanda and Sikhi.

you can get positive things out of it too.

but back to the point.

is it bad to have a khanda on a flag in my car??? no.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

is that bad?

but back to the point.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Visably the Khanda is a powerful looking image and does attract attention.

You can't deprive the right for someone with good intentions to display the Khanda. But don't you find it upsetting when a car full of Guys with a 'Khanda 'cruises past you with everyone smoking, pumping some loud base, shouting/whistling at girls?

It boils down to who is carrying the Khanda symbol. In my opinion the Khanda symbol should only be w

orn or displayed by a Sikh in Guruji's Roop. But the way things are that's highly unlikely to happen.

'Flying Sikh Man', I am assuming you are an Amritdhari or heading in that direction. You have every right to display the Khanda with pride if this is the case. Moreover you will be an excellent ambassodor. But what about individuals who do not follow Guruji's path in anyway but want to be assocaited with the Khanda because it's a powerful image or it's just a symbol linked to their ethnic origin.

Even the moon and crescent (the Muslim symbol) is not abused as much as the Khanda is. Do you know when a a person of Muslim origin owns an Off-Licence (Liquour store)? You can easily identify if a person of Sikh origin owns a Liquor store, even if they are a mona, as there will be a Khanda or a picture of Guru Nanak in the shop somewhere.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

is that bad?

but back to the point.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Visably the Khanda is a powerful looking image and does attract attention.

You can't deprive the right for someone with good intentions to display the Khanda. But don't you find it upsetting

when a car full of Guys with a 'Khanda 'cruises past you with everyone smoking, pumping some loud base, shouting/whistling at girls?

It boils down to who is carrying the Khanda symbol. In my opinion the Khanda symbol should only be worn or displayed by a Sikh in Guruji's Roop. But the way things are that's highly unlikely to happen.

'Flying Sikh Man', I am assuming you are an Amritdhari or heading in that direction. You have every right to display the Khanda with pride if this is the case. Moreover you will be an excellent ambassodor. But what about individuals who do not follow Guruji's path in anyway but want to be assocaited with the Khanda because it's a powerful image or it's just a symbol linked to their ethnic origin.

Even the moon and crescent (the Muslim symbol) is not abused as much as the Khanda is. Do you know when a a person of Muslim origin owns an Off-Licence (Liquour store)? You can easily identify if a person of Sikh origin owns a Liquor store, even if they are a mona, as there will be a Khanda or a picture of Guru Nanak in the shop somewhere.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pyara i understand your view.

I am not an amritdhari yet, hopely in the furture I will.

here in The Netherlands most of the people dont know what Sikhi is!

For example.

i was going home from school and an guy (hindu) ride along with me the Khanda was in my car but he didnt said anything.

Sometime later on school there was somekind of holiday for the muslims and he asked me if i was celebrating it too. I aksed him, "me??"

Im not a Muslim!

Then he said "but the thing hanging in your car? Thats a muslim symbol, right?"

And so one i could explain him the Khanda meaning and so one.

I think this is a good point of "using" the Khanda to teach others.

But on the other hand.

It can happe

n in the furture that the Khanda wil be disrespected somehow in my car on any way. (people who smoked before getting in my car ect.) grin.gif

Its a difficult thing.

I think that the people of the Gurdwara should teach us, the youth about these things!!!

I never had a Khanda flag in my car, but I went to Punjab and saw so many cars there full of Khandas! Thats why I got one. <_<

My opinion is that you can "use" the Khanda to teach others about our faith ect.

I dont think that you should use it to show that you are a Sikh. Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us the 5 k's to show that we are Sikhs and not a Khanda!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!