Short Story

naam_jap

Lalo

Poor Lalo didn’t have food to eat and clothes to wear until he found a trunk in the kalijum forest, full of gold coins. He sells them all to buy a big villa and now enjoys a luxuries life. He is now filled with attachment and pride. He is still not satisfied and is now involved in corrupt means of getting richer. Once a poor humble person, Lalo is now filled with lust, greed, pride, anger, and a never-ending chain of desires.

Poor Lalo is like an ant trapped in the honey of Maya. Lalo is growing older, but the fire of desire has not yet gone. A saint once visits Lalo and tries to convince him to leave his corruptness. He says, “Lalo, Don’t have pride in your false possessions, you will regret in the end. Come with me, let’s contemplate on the Glorious God and distribute all your wealth to the poor”. “Go away”, replies Lalo, “I know what is good for myself, I have a beautiful wife, and a big house to live in, what do you have?” The saint replies after a while, “You will know in the morning”

Morning comes, Lalo wakes up, and doesn’t find his blankets on him. His wife is not there also, he is wearing torn clothes. It’s cold and chilly. He is lying on the street, and is the same old poor man. Lalo looks around for his wife; he repents, as he has lost everything. Lalo realizes, “Life is a dream, wake up, before it’s too late”.