Dr. Yogi Kaur

Bijla Singh

Dr. Yogi Kaur

I am an African-American who accidentally found out about the Sikh religion last year by putting in the correct request on a google search. I tried for months to find a religion that really worship only the One True God and women had an equal voice and standing. Finally, in May 2002, one selection was listed of sikhwomen.com. Now, a year later, my husband (Anglo), son (bi-racial), and I are Amritdhari Sikhs. Just to take amrit was a heartache, because our gurudwara was not forthcoming at all. Finally, the Sikh granthis at the Nanaksar Gurudwara contacted us and told us they would give us amrit since our regular gurudwara would not. Another non-Indian woman recently recived amrit at the same gurudwara, because ours would not give her amrit either. It was very sad to have to go to another gurudwara just to get baptised. And, when we got baptised, no one seemed happy for us or even cared as in Christianity and the Bahai Faith.

There's talk of building another gurudwara in town; and, I requested that the gurudwara should probably be built on the North side of the metro because there are none there. I told them all the gurudwaras are within a few miles of each other in the same area. The gurudwara secretary said, "Well, there aren't many Indian people over on that side of the city." I explained that it doesn't matter, because if there is a new religious facility people tend to go to it or visit it out of curiosity, because they are seeking God.

I told him there are not only some Indians there, but there are whites, Hispanics, African-Americans, and others. Then, I finally said, "Wait a minute, my family and I aren't Indian either; and, we had to accidentally find out about Sikhs and Sikhism." We wasted a long time (years); and, probably would not even be here now had I not put in the right wording for a google search. I said "It is not right to be so hidden regarding the Truth that people can't find the religion or take years searching."

He told me that Sikhs did not convert. And, that's understandable. But, for God's sake, that is an excuse to keep other cultures (ethnic and racial) out. There is nothing wrong in talking to people about our religion and if they are curious with questions, inviting them to the gurudwara. Many people invite friends and acquaintances to their synagogues, churches, mosques, temples, etc. ---This is not wrong to do at all, especially with those who are seeking the truth. It's best to let God do the rest from there, at least you answered their questions and invited them (by meeting them at a location) to visit and share in the worship and hospitality of the gurudwara.

If Guru Nanak and the other Gurus never traveled and said anything about the religion to others, the Sikh religion would have died out centuries ago in Punjab. Guru Nanak and the other Gurus traveled from region to region and country to country talking to people and creating congregations. He most likely spoke in their language or with translators; and, made the information accessible to others who were not from Punjab or India. Now, when non-Indians visit the gurudwaras, the granthi speaks only in Punjabi with no translation or translators provided. People do not even come up to the door to welcome you either when you go to a gurudwara. When you ask that a translator sit with the granthi and translate what is being said not only to you but also to others in the congregation who do not understand Punjabi, they say they cannot do it for religious reasons (which makes little sense considering Guru Nanak probably spoke to people in their own language with or without translators). When they sing raags (hymns), they won't put the transliteration and English translation on a screen so that non-Punjabi speakers can sing and know what they are singing as other religious organizations have done for years. Plus, this has been available for quite sometime just by downloading from the internet and/or buying an inexpensive CD with all the raags, Banis, etc, on it and/or providing copies of a notebook (remains on the premises) that has the entire service with prayers and songs in it.

Your're always asked to learn Punjabi if you want to know what is going on from day one. I found this discouraging considering that was our first visit to any gurudwara. It's almost like you're being told by the Sikhs at the gurudwara "Go away - You're not wanted here - We're tolerate you for just a short period of time - Then, we want you to leave and not come back - Thank's for visiting."

So, you take the Punjabi classes only to find out that when they ask you to write the Punjabi word that corresponds with the picture, they are not referring to the spoken English (or your spoken language) word for the picture, but the Punjabi spoken word that everyone else has heard spoken in their homes --- Yet, since you do not know Punjabi and have grown-up saying those viewed pictures in English (or another language), you mess-up on the tests. Eveyone living in a Punjabi speaking household has the advantage of socialization. For example, the Punjabi spoken word for farm and house is not "farm" or "house" (in the English spoken language or even another language) When spoken in Punjabi, those words are something else.

Guess what? The classes are not for the average non-Indian person who just goes to the gurudwara and read their Banis and then go back home to their own language (whether it be Spanish, French, Chinese, African, Russian, English, etc.) --- That's why many people years later cannot still speak, write, or read Punjabi. People learn languages from active interactions in the homes and world of others speaking, writing, and reading the language, not only in a classroom situation.

And, what makes it worse, you're renegaded to a classroom of children, who are not there of their own accord. So, the teacher have to be a teacher to the children, which comes with disciplining as well when the kids get out of hand. They are not there as quiet and attentive adults with adult-like questions and needs.

I am definitely not surprised that Sikhs in Africa did not talk to the Africans about their religion. I don't think non-Indian Sikhs are welcomed, liked, tolerated, or wanted. For God sake, a few months after going to gurudwaras, I heard Sikhs in the gurudwara talk about 'white' Sikhs like they were another denomination --- When I asked who were 'white' Sikhs, I was told; and, I was not too happy considering they were Sikhs too. When we went to Sikh camp in December, they would not help my 7 y. o. son learn a raag or the tapas or harmonium or even gatka (I know, because I was there and observed what happened) --- Which left him lacking a learned skill for show-and-tell for the last day of camp. Other people children had something to present, but mine was left out. They said he was too hyperactive, but he behaves no diferently than many of the other overactive boys. Also, he really looks like the rest of the people, because he is bi-racial, which leaves me baffled as to why he is treated differently and left out of activities or sometimes attacked by the boys. Plus, my husband and I noticed there were no 'white' Sikhs there and asked why --- It appears they were not invited and considered a cult, which I disagree with. Though I was told the many non-Indian Sikhs become so dismayed they started going to the 3HO Ashram, but I really don't blame them considering how many of us non-Indians are treated and ignored.

So, to conclude, it's not about avoiding conversion (Guru Nanak and the others shared the religion with others outside of Punjab in the language of that region or country) and tolerance of other religions, it's about keeping interested and God-seeking non-Indian/non-Punjab people out of the gurudwaras, because they are not tolerated due to their cultural, racial, and ethnic differences and the differences/newness they might bring to the gurudwara's music, food, language, topics, etc.

End of Part 1