Your Sword And Your Speech

S1ngh

In 1986, I visited Vancouver on the invitation of the Khalsa Diwan Society, and addressed the Sangat in the Ross street Gurdwara there. The success of the discussion motivated the Gurdwara management to start a regular Sikh heritage class every Saturday for the Canada-born youth.

The class became very popular because the presentations were made in English. The word spread to Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia. A father with his two children came from there to attend the class. After the lecture, he wanted me to visit Victoria and address the students of the school where his son was studying. He briefed me that the staff and students were curious to know about the Sikh faith, particularly because of our unusual appearance. I agreed.

He talked to the Principal who gladly arranged my lecture in the school. There were about 45-50 students (2 classes) along with some staff members. I discussed the founding of the Sikh faith by Guru Nanak. He preached, “Do not divide people into Hindus and Muslims or adherents of any other faith. We all are children of the same Father. Love all and hate none. Anyone who loves God can realize Him.” The establishment of the institutions of Sangat and Pangat and their functions to preach this message were explained to them.

The students listened attentively, and their satisfied faces were an indication of the successful communication of the Gurmat message, “God, in Thy Name bless the whole humanity.” At the end of my lecture I invited questions from the students.

Before any student could respond, one of the staff members took the initiative. He observed, “Your sword (I was wearing a Kirpan over my shirt) and your speech do not match with each other.” He was apparently upset by the positive impression my talk had made on the non-Sikh students. I do not remember the actual words used by him, but he challenged whatever I had conveyed to the students. His main objection was that, with a sword hanging by my side, preaching the message of peace and welfare of all people had no meaning. His question was: “Sword means violence, how can peace and sword go together?”

Without looking towards him (the questions were supposed to come from students and not from the staff) I requested one student sitting in the front row to stand up and asked him, “Do you feel frightened when you see a policeman with a pistol, a weapon of death?” He immediately responded, “No. Instead I feel secure and protected. Policemen do not hurt, they are there to help and protect people.”

I further observed, “So, you think the pistol and peace can go together, if the weapon is in the right hands.” After the student nodded and said ‘yes’, I continued: “I do not know whether a policeman has to take a religious oath, but it is a requirement for a Sikh before he is initiated. A member of the Khalsa Panth is called Sant-Sipahi, holy policeman or saint-soldier. His mission is to protect the weak and their human rights. That is why a Sikh is enjoined to wear a Kirpan, you call sword.

I briefly referred to the sacrifices made by the Khalsa for the people in Punjab, regardless of their faith, to protect them from the invaders who came every year to rob them.

At this stage, I looked towards the teacher and said, “Any other question please?” He kept mum, and did not look up. His question had been answered to the satisfaction of all. After this episode, their turban, the article of their faith, no longer embarrassed the Sikh students that attended the school. Instead it became a source of pride, and improved their self-esteem.

by - S. Gurbakhsh Singh

Sat Sri Akal:

Ah yes...Gurbaksh Singh Ji...he used to teach at the camps I went to. Hated him cause he wanted the field trips cancelled so that kids could get more exposure to Gurmat...was I ever stupid... :umm: @

Think he was Dean of Punjab University. An excellent speaker who is not out of touch with the reality of the Western youth and their concerns.