Hemkunt Sahib

malkeet

Hemkunt Sahib Ji is only open for about three months - June / July / August - closes in first few weeks of Sept.

You need to go to Rishikesh. This is the first stop for all yartee, nice Gurdwara. Then on towards Hardware and Sirinagar and Joshimat. Travel all day to Gobind Ghat. Stay the night, then travel by foot (13km) to Gobind Dham, stay the night and go by foot (6km) to Hemkunt sahib.

Here is some more info : http://www.info-sikh.com/HemPage1.html

Hemkunt Sahib Ji is only open for about three months - June / July / August - closes in first few weeks of Sept.

You need to go to Rishikesh. This is the first stop for all yartee, nice Gurdwara. Then on towards Hardware and Sirinagar and Joshimat. Travel all day to Gobind Ghat. Stay the night, then travel by foot (13km) to Gobind Dham, stay the night and go by foot (6km) to Hemkunt sahib.

Here is some more info : http://www.info-sikh.com/HemPage1.html

As above really ^^

We went in July, 2003.

First we went to Paonta Sahib then Rishikesh Gurdwara. We stayed the night at the Rishikesh sangat rooms. I'm not sure if this was planned but it was a wise decision as by that time we were really tired, and it was pouring down with rain. Carried on through out the night.

We headed on next morning. But we had to make a premature stop before we could reach Gobind Ghat as it was dark and visibility was low. So we stayed in a hotel.

The next morning we left for Gobind Ghat (8/9/10/am), and started the journey upwards. As there were quite a number of us, it took us about 6-7hours to reach Gobind Dham. When you reach Gobind Dham, you'll be more than half way, before the final and enduring ascent upwards. Here, the majority of people stay the night and wake up early morning and resume their journey.

I would advise you to wake up and leave at 6-7am if you want to be sure to reach Hemkunt Sahib before the final ardaas (1.30 or 2.30). We left abit late, at about 9-10am. Because of this, and because of our relatively large group, we reached there when the final ardaas had started. After the final ardaas, everybody leaves (disappears in a flash more like - there was so much sangat) as it gets dark relatively quickly.

We did our Ishnaan after Matha Tekna. We were the only sangat left. Also be sure to checkout the small room where Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Shastaar are kept. It's at the back of the complex, opposite the back entrance from the freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing cold Sarovar. If you arrive late like we did, then leave as soon as you can. It was pitch black when we were on our way back to Gobind Dham. We stayed the night again, before making our way back to Gobind Ghat.

That's it really. It was a very memorable experience for me, and as they say "journey of a lifetime". Can't wait to go again.

Enjoy your journey, and admire the beautiful scenery on your way to Sri Hemkunt Sahib.

My advice:

. Take powdered Glucose

. Plenty of water as bottled water gets more expensive the higher you go tongue.gif

. Appropriate clothing/trainers for the slippery/wet conditions you will most likely face

. Don't go on donkey if you can help it. It defeats the whole purpose of the yaatra in my opinion.

. Enjoy it!

Singhson, We were there August 2003, must have just missed you. tongue.gif

It is the most amazing place. We all had sleeping bags which can be really useful even if sleeping in the gurdwaras.

When we were there we came back down to Gobind Ghat and heard the news that there had been some land slides and the road was closed. We spend another 4 days as Gobind Ghat. Even Sant Anup Singh Ji were stranded and we would all pile into Gurudwara Sahib in the evenings and listen to their kirtan. By the end we were doing ardaasa to Guru Gobind Singh Ji " Guru Ji please let us go now. Pleeeease " The road cleared after four days and everyone legged it out on the only road .

It is such an arduous journey from Gobind Ghat to Gobind Dham and it takes all day, as you say it should be done one foot it at all possible. You are going to meet Shaha-dhay-shah, it should not be on a horse. Obviously if you cannot do it then by all means use a horse. When you get there, there are a few masseuse guys and for like 20Rps they will do the most amazing "mallash " on your legs. Gobind Dham being so high up is very damp and nothing seems to dry properly so again a sleeping bag is a good idea. Also I found diarrhoea tablets are a idea to pack, once you get those runs, there's no stopping 'um. Also can get Lucozade Glucose tablets.

Haha, now where did I see you grin.giftongue.gif

Actually thinking about it. We must have gone in the first week of August '03. I remember we to India in the last week of July and 1 week later we went to Hemkunt Sahib. So it must have been the first few days of August when we went. I'll ask my mum to make sure anyway.

Coincidentally, on our way there and back there were landslide problems. The first landslide problem was quite abit after where the bujurgh babeh do sewa of pakoreh and chaa. You can't have missed them as they literally stop in the middle of the road and force you to pull in and have some langar (they're at a bend). We had to wait at least 3hours before they dynamited the massive rock out of the way. It was really hot that day too and as a result our car suffered a few punctures whilst standing stationary for so long.

On the way back there were similar problems but not as bad. Also there was some political problem there and as a result they were not letting people leave Gobind Ghat easily.

Till this day, I still haven't forgotten the maalishes I had done at Gobind Dham and Gobind Ghat. They were so painful yet incredibly relaxing. It's like they rip into your legs! I still remember them walking about shouting "Tel maaliiiiiiiiiiiiiish" in a high pitched voice :@

Looks like we experienced very similar things Bundha..maybe we went on the same day...we were in a purple toyota qualis :D

We were there around 17th Aug so possibly a couple of weeks after you. I went with a yartaa jutha from the UK organised by Mr Cheema.

I remember those guys running into the middle of the road forcing you to stop, I think our row of Toyota Q's sped past them.

Whats amusing about Gobind Ghat is there are about a dozon stalls as you walk to the gurdwara................ all selling exactly the same things !

its opening from 1st june to 31 august or 7 sep ...

if u wanna go make sure u plan it accordingly that u will be doing final chadai on 1st june ... its a must see view ... when they take guru sahib in a palki to hemkunth sahib ... all the nagars bungeys and nihung singhs doing jaikare and showing shaster videya on the way ... all the path is covered with followers ... and one plus that day is the minimum rush people ...

or plan on the last day ... just a suggestion