Amritvela tips

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sangat ji, i know we have the other amritvela thread for good reasons to get up at amritvela,but i thought i'd start a thread about tips for getting up at amritvela,sleepy moorkhs like me really and i mean really need the sangats help and advice on getting up.

Heres a few tips i know (dont necsescerily do he he he)

drink loads of water before bed

dont eat too much before bed(oh :wub: )

during amritvela have a cold shower

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Most importantly: pray.gif

Having naami sangat helps (and multiplies the naam pandaar!)

Below are some suggestions from such Gurmukhs daas saved on hard drive

Author: .....

Date: 07-30-04 22:21

Vaheguroo jee ka Khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh!!!

here are my personal tips - these work for me, i dunno if they'd work for you.

- first and FOREMOST: do ardaas to be blessed with amritvela. Ask guru sahib to give you the strength to get up and the mentality (mat) that this MAY BE YOUR LAST DAY.

- brush your teeth at night so you wont have to spend too much time in the morning.

- MAKE SURE you go to sleep on time. If you are just beginning you WILL NOT be able to get out of bed. Personally i try to be in bed by 9:00-9:15. Figure out what time is your latest.

- Tape a sign to your forhead/in front of your bed saying (your name) Singh/Kaur, TODAY IS YOUR LAST DAY (possibly). Guru jee is waiting for you at the amritvela-school and you can't miss any nitnem/abhyaas classes otherwise you'll fail your death-exam

- Keep your alarm AWAY from your bed - so that you will have to actually get up and shut it off. Make sure your alarm is LOUD so it wakes you with a jolt - sort of has the same effect of a splash of cold water on your face.

- Drink lots of water so that u will absolutely HAVE TO get up to go to the bathroom. Splash a load of cold water on your face. Once in there, DONT LET YO

URSELF LEAVE untill you've done ishnaan. You might even want to keep your clothes for the morning in the bathroom the night before.

- also, take a cold shower. doesnt have to be ice cold if you cant stand it, but even a few seconds of cold water will help wake you up.

- try to have a goal such as consistent amritvela for 3-4 weeks. after this it'll become a habit and you wont be able to stop :wub:

- keep in mind when you are going to sleep that you will be getting up in a few hours. this will, trust me it really works, prepare you mentally for getting up.

- One of the best things is sangat at amritvela - cant be stressed enough. if u have the means of going to sangat, DO IT. dont be held back by little differences, if any.

- ALSO, IF you do go to sangat, make a plan with another amritvela-er to keep each other in check. you could even have someone pick you up in the mornings, or alternate picking each other up. This will DEFINITELY make sure you wake up because you will know that someone will be pulling into your driveway at amritvela and you wouldn't want to keep them waiting. LIKEWISE, if You are the one picking up, this will also help because you know that you are going to be picking someone up and you can't just leave them waiting for you.

- if the above is not possible, set up a phone calling thing with someone. you can call each other to make sure you're up. just make sure to stay away from unnecessary gap-shap.

- try to abstain from excessive tv/internet/chatting -

1) Basic Thumb Rule: Early to bed ~~ E arly to rise

2) Have a gap between dinner/supper and bedtime – fill the gap with a little walk – and at actual bedtime drink 2-3 cups of water

3) Use alarm clocks/radio/or cassette alarm (which shall play simran even while you are half awake)

Ok ok now the real tips for Naam

jaap:

Forwarding you tips for Naam jap sent by a Gurmukh Rooh. Some found it useful, someone else may also…

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Jap naam at amrit vela no matter what!!!!! Amrit vela is between 12:30 am and sunrise. Please note amrit vela is not effective unless the body is well rested.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Jap Naam at night before sleeping. It is very important to do this. Naam (at first) does the work of a cleanser (then it fills one with bliss). Cleansing the mind at night it extremely important. A clean mind sleeps more deeply and wakes up more alert. The precious amrit vela then is more effective, since much of the work has already been done at night and in sleep, since a naam-ed out mind will jap naam during sleep too!

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Try to wake up without the alarm. This will only happen via persistant ardaas to the Guru.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Try to divide up the day. For example, wake up at amrit vela. Do simran and nitnem and then take a short nap before the day starts. This prevents fatigue during the day. And psychologically, a tired body can wake up more easily if it knows it can go back to sleep. The morning nap should not exceed 1.5 hours. If it does, the body thinks it is night time and usually results in a dull day.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Keep some water besides the bed. (This has no spiritual significance, but it saves the trip to the kitchen during the precious amrit vela hours.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

When the body first wakes, *immediately* say Waheguru with tongue or mind – depending on the individual’s naam state. Do not wait until ishnaan to jap naam. Do not wait to tie loosened dastar or keski or hair before japping naam. Sit up and without even drinking the water beside the bed, jap naam deeply. Only after a few seconds/minutes or hours when the mind is somewhat settled, venture out to do the necessary chores. (The misconception that naam cannout be japped without first doing ishnaan is, well, jus

t that – a misconception. Naam *is* ishnaan!)

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

At first jap naam loudly, then with kirpa and practice, the naam can be japped softly or completely internally. The guru usually gives internal instructions or arranges meetings with naami gursikhs at appropriate time.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Divide up naam time. It is extremely hard to sit for three hours of naam during early stages, but it is possible to jap naam for three hours if it is done over breaks. Jap naam before ishnaan. Jap naam after ishnaan. Jap naam during lunch breaks. Jap naam during traffic jams. Jap naam when driving. Jap naam. Jap naam. Jap naam. Jap naam.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Mix gurmanter with mool manter.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

If mind has wandered off, bring it back by reciting gurbaNi. Refrain from gossip and slander. This keeps the mind clean and it can more easily focus on naam. (The most common response to “Do not slander Bhai X jee” is “I am not slandering Bhai X Jee, I am just telling the truth.” A very practical definition of slander is: the things that cannot be said in front of Bhai X jee are slander). For that reason avoid the company of the people who spend more time in slandering.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Avoid TV or movies of being a news junkie.

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Just start simraning Waheguru ~~ Waheguru

Waheguru ~~ Waheguru"

----------------------------

If you want more, perform a search- hopefully loads should pop up for japping naam and amritvela! After all, it is of prime importance!

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...502#reply_15502

Waking Up For Amrit Vela...

Author: Admin

Date:  07-27-04 08:52

Waking Up For Amrit Vela

By G. Udham Singh in Gurmat Sidhaant Saagar

Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

1. That Sikh who remembers Vahiguru at Amrit Vela will achieve liberation.

2. Ishnan, nitnem and simran/abhyaas at amrit vela can transform the individual

3. Only that person can wake up for amrit vela who forsakes laziness and remembers death.

4. It is just as essential for every Gursikh to wake up in the last quarter of the night, amrit vela, as it is to do simran.

5. That person that remains asleep at amrit vela goes without the blessings and grace of Vahiguru

6. The best way of waking up for amrit vela is to eat little at night and to go to sleep on time.

7. It is at amrit vela that currents of Vahiguru's blessings are flowing but those who remain asleep at this time cannot enjoy them

8. Until the stars disappear, it is the fourth quarter of the night, amrit vela,

which is considered the most conducive time to meditate and worship Vahiguru.

9. That person that longs to wake up at amrit vela will be woken up on

time by some secret power.

10. After doing Sohila Sahib, and before going to sleep, doing ardaas for the ability to wake up at amrit vela is very beneficial.

r>

11. That Gursikh who is thirsting for naam and baaNee will find that this thirst will be like the alarm which wakes him/her up.

12. Even cows, birds and roosters wake up at amrit vela. If a Sikh does not, it is his own bad karma.

13. It is a natural phenomenon that at amrit vela, even flowers blossom and spread their scent more than at any other time.

14. That person who wants to meditate on Vahiguru must make it a daily habit to wake up at amrit vela.

15. It is not enough to just wake up at amrit vela, ishnaan and simran are also essential.

16. Those individuals who spend their nights lost in vices and evil and then sleep through amrit vela are destroying their own lives.

17. The way in which our minds can be attached to simran and baaNee at amrit vela is not possible at any other time.

18. All great saints, rishis, munis, bhagats and Gursikhs all have woken up at amrit vela.

19. That person's life is fruitful and worthwhile who wakes up every day at amrit vela and remembers Vahiguru.

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...675#reply_17933

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...7757#reply_8014

"....Sri Amritsar Sahib Ji de Darshan Ishnaan hovea..."

I love getting up to see beautiful Sacchkhand Sri Harimandir Sahib at amrit vela. I remember being so excited when we got Alpha Panjabi for this purpose! Now, having just been lucky enough to go to Amritsar for the 400th anniversary, my piaas was quenched a little and I can pleasantly get reminded of that wonderful feeling of ikaant that dawned upon me as soon as I stepped foot into the parkarma... pray.gif

Leave the Asa Di Vaar on, even if in the background. I find that just hearing it makes you not want to go back to sleep. Also be encouraged by the darshani Singhs there :e: :nihungsmile: Daas was greeted with much piaar by Puran Ji and crew, who come to Darbar Sahib after their Naam Baani workout session! The recitation of Savaiyae is also very uplifting, followed by the Hukamnaama.

Doing some yoga stretches, such as the Tree, are also beneficial in aiding saavdhaanta and preventing muscle stiffness during or after sitting.

Enjoy!

'Dham dham sudhaa sumaalda dhum Na birthaa jaae.'

More from NaamNet....

Chardikala Gursikhs Views on Amritvela....

Bhai Randhir Singh jee on Amrit Vela: "The gursikh that does naam simran at amrit vela, is *assured* of satguru's kalaa (rang, love, intoxication, kirpa etc)"

Baba Nand Singh jee: (Upon finding out that someone will be writing his (Baba jee's) biography) Laughing, "gursikho, imagine an almond. It has the

outer shell, the brown part we all see. Then it has awhite inner part that is not seen. My life is like that almond. The biographer will be writing about that brown outer part - what I did, what I said - but gursikho, my *real* life, the

Inner white, is from 1 am till 6 am. Nobody can possibly even imagine that life, let alone write about it. Only I know that real life."

Baba Attar Singh jee :

"A sikh should drop 10 other tasks to eat on time, a sikh should drop 100 other tasks to do nitnem on time and a sikh should drop 1,000 other tasks to do simran

on time."

Vaheguroo jee ka khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh!

thanks for the saakhi Gurpreet Singh

here's another tip.... read this before going to sleep:

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...i=17413&t=17413

Author: guru da dass

Date: 09-10-04 11:40

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh

Guru Peeareo,

I would like to share a couple of incidents that really jolted my concience and vindicated the lessons of Gurbani. With folded hands I am doing this at the sangat's request that others may benifit from it. I am being as accurate as possible and SGGSjee is my witness to the veracity of my statements. May he forgive me for any errors.

In about 1991. was working in the intensive care unit and caring for a middle-aged gay man dying of AIDS. I worked only the night shift. Per the patient's admission had lived a wild crazy life. He was gentle and kindhearted. He was now a mere skeleton, dependant on a ventilator and dying. We all worked so hard to make his ICU stay as comfortable as possible.

I, among a few others nurses, had taken care of him for about a month in the ICU and gained his trust. One day as he was having a really hard time he asked me to pray with him. He had never asked this of me before. I recited Japji Sahib paath. He could only write on a tablet. He told me that whatever I was reciting gave him amazing peace inside and he was then able to sleep. I did it intermitently from then on depending on my duties and how quiet the ICU was. The effect was always the same. Till his death he was always lucid and never conf

used.

One day I came to work to receive report from the previous shift RN on how the day went for this patient. She told me something frightening happened to him that day. She told me she was sitting at the tlelmetry monitoring bank when his heart rate alarm went off. Where his heart rate was close to normal before at about 90's to 100 beats per minute it was now 150 and above beats per minute. His ventilator alarms were going off continously as he was breathing extremely rapidly. She rushed to his bedside to find him wild-eyed and terrified, thrashing in bed. She tried to talk to him but he would not settle. She yelled for help and sedative medication. It took a combination of large doses of 3 drugs to calm him down and even then he was uneasy and twitching while sedated. Once he had a chance to rest she asked him what happened. He wrote:" They are around my bed...... hovering....wait for me to die." She asked;"What do you see?". He replied:" They are all black, scary, with red eyes, claws..... waiting to pounce on me when I die. They are coming to take me. I am so scared." It took him so long to write all this and he was exhausted. Being a logical person the nurse then tried to rationalize all of this but I understood exactly from the getgo what was going on. In his sleep he was restless from now on no matter what we the nurses did to make him comfortable. I went to his room and he was laying there twitching in his sleep. Later, at about 2 am when things had settled in the ICU, I sat with him.

I asked him what happened that day but it only caused him distress to recall it. I did not have my Gutka that night. I asked him would he like me to recite Sikh scripture to him like I had done several times before. He nodded yes, his eyes pleading and frightened. I stared reciting in a singing voice Kabiyo Bach Benti Chaupai slowly. I watched him and, for the first time, his whole body relaxed. He wrote;"Don't know what you are singing....gives me a feeling of protection......thank you so much." He

was able to sleep more quietly that night.

The next evening, I came to work as usual. As I walked in through the double doors all the nurses' eyes went straight to me. Judging from their very sad expressions I knew he was now dying. One nurse said: "It is strange, he seems to be hanging on as long as possible. He is only waiting for you. I was not halfway down the hall and his heart alarm went off. His heart rate took a sharp nosedive downwards. By the time I reached his room his EKG was went flatline. At that moment he died. I sensed some presences in the room and sternly told them to leave immediately and that they could not have him yet. I felt them leave and it was just me and him. I recited keertan sohila and humbly recited ardas. I will leave this private. I gave him a final bath and brought him to the morgue. My coworkers were all unnerved by the events surrounding the death of this patient. They were convinced dass had a unique spiritual role to play in the last day and subsequent death of this patient. I for one had my eyes opened by Gurujee that day and thanked Him for having showed me live this incident so often spoken about in Gurbani. I am a sacrifice to my Guru who is All-Truth.

I will write the second entry in a separate post.

dass of the Khalsa Panth

• 2 weeks later...