Guru's Langar In Afghanistan Is Badly Needed

jc_lfc

Hi Guys,

I been in Kabul serveral times with work for the last year and its finally hit home what Langar should actually be, and what it has in reality turned into in the western world.

I dont pretend to be a religious sikh but i know know its message and its importance.

I like so manys other people and countries have earned at the expense of the people of Aghanistan.

Anyone that has been to india and thinks that they have seen poverty is mistaken. I cannot explain just how desperate the people are and how pathetic i feel just thinking about my lack of helping.

An example was during december when its -5C. While being driven in the heavy rain to work in Kabul i can see a 10yr old child with his hands folded at the roadside. My mind just used to this see's it as normal. What i only noticed when driving off was his mother in a blue thin burka shaking violently from the cold while sitting in wet mud and holding her baby under her thin burka. I know that deep down the child probably died as 1 in 3 does in Afghanistan. Me i was sitting with the heater on in a land cruiser in a heavy coat looking forward to christmas at home.

Enough's Enough's i wanna do something and what people really need is food as most money is wasted on administation and nothing reaches people that need it.

Just a basic langer hall in kabul with basic food and a lorry that could hand out food to the needy would be amazing. It would be the difference between life and death.

I just need help and direction into organizing something. I know that the gurdwara's and sangat can help and i want all communities involved as i know many muslims will donate and help if they know its really going to the people on the street and not wasted.

Anyone that can help me start something please, have any contacts or way forward.

Thanks

Jatinder

Everyone's gonna die sometime, rather die feeding the people than feeding the pocket

True.

Sounds like a good idea. There was a Singh from Khalsa Aid who drove from the UK to Kosovo (I think) a few years ago to deliver blankets, dry food etc.

Are you in London? I would like to help and I know other Singhs who think the same.

Do you plan to take food from here or buy it there?

Food is available in Afghanistan, Hotels/restraunts can get whatever food they need. I think either shipped from Iran or Pakistan.

It maybe costly from the UK unless sponsorship or the army will be able to carry our supplies as Kabul airport is an army airport too.

I guess its something that needs to be thought as it has to be something healthy and substantial as it could be the only meal for weeks or longer something similiar to langar in the uk i guess but for their local needs/market and health(VITAL)

I think a charity contact already based in aghanistan could help with logistics.

I'm based between coventry and slough most weeks.

yes veer ji that is langar, feeding the people with empty stomachs. Be it in Afghanistan, africa, or your own city. Langar is for feeding the needy. Just because food is created and eaten at a gurdwara does not make it seva or langar. seva is serving those who need help, albeit drug addicts or just the starving, doing their service is doing gods service.

its a good idea make sure you dont killed, like that white women was, she was helping the disabled......

Everyone's gonna die sometime, rather die feeding the people than feeding the pocket

Wasnt talking about interms of money, just your safety.

But if you need more information about getting help, funds ect go to the afghan gurdwara in southall or contact them, most of them are Kabulies (kubul sikhs), they maybe able to help since they have connections or family based in the kubul area.

Wow. This is true religion, helping the needy. It sounds like a really good idea. If you buy the food in Kabul, you will be supporting the economy of Afghanistan at the same time so its definately best to buy the foods from the locals instead of sending it from UK. Also the food is cheaper in Afghanistan so you will be able to buy more from the same amount of money. Its definately a good idea,- just reading this topic made my day.

I think that we as sikhs should start to follow in the footstep of our Gurus and do more to help the poor and needy. The purpose of langar was to destroy caste barriers and provide for the needy, but today it has just become a ritual "go eat after doing ardas".

I hope to see much more of this in the future.