Sanatan Sikhi Vs Sanatan Mat.

Guest Akaal108

Guest Akaal108

Title - Sanatan Sikhi Vs Sanatan Mat.

Ok reason for my post is to help people understand these two terms and how they are different.

There is been lot of negative talks about the term "Sanatan".

The prefix "Sanatan Sikhi" is used mostly from the adhyatamic perspective (spiritual). It simply means eternal sikhi.

quotes to back it up from sikh scriptures both siri guroo granth sahib and sarbloh granth:

‘From seeing angels of death [fearing death] now I see but Ram [Ramachandar/Nirankar God].

My suffering has fled and comfort taken abode [in my heart].

Those denying God [the five senses], have become noble [having acknowledged Nirankar God].

Now I have attained complete bliss.

I have been cooled [mind settled] when I appreciated Gobind [God].

In the body are found innumerable troubles.

Now, spontaneously in comfort, I am absorbed in God.

I have recognized my true self.

Now no ailment of the three fevers affects me.

Now my mind has changed and become Sanatan.

Now I appreciate [Truth] having died whilst alive [meaning being unaffected by temptations of the world].

Says Kabir, in comfort spontaneously be absorbed in God.

I fear no one, nor am I intimidated by anyone.’

Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Raag Gauri, Pa.326-327

Traditions that are Sanatan are the ancient Dharma whose virtues the Vedas sing.

That [sanatan] Brahm [all pervasive God] highest God,

Sarbloh, is known as king of all demigods.’

‘Sarbloh Granth’, Vol. 2. Chapter Five, Pa.549

Siri Sarbloh consider as Sanatan.’

‘Sarbloh Guru Durbar’, Vol. 2. Chapter Five, Pa.196

Now defination of Sanatan Mat:

I was reading Akaal Ustat english translations by Surinder Singh Kohli. page- 39 in his book.

Came across to this verse.

Kaie Dev Ad Kumar, Kaie Kirsan Bisan Avtar ||

Created many gods, and Adi Kumars, sons of brahma (Sanak, Sanndan, Sanatan and Sanat Kumar), many Krishnas and incarations of Vishnu.

Sanatan Matt was created by son of bhrama. Sanatan Mat does not have anything to do with Gurmat.

Gurmat does not equal to Sanatan Matt

However Gurmat equal sanatan sikhi because it's enternal.

Anyone can be sanatan Sikh ..mind you it's not a sect or a brand..it's has it's eternal meaning.

Now main issue-

- Do Nihangs from UK use Sanatan sikhi term as eternal or create another brand within sikhi (ie- Sanatan Matt/traditional).

Answer: Some Nihangs from uk consider Sanatan Sikhi as eternal, not traditional and consider it's more of a spiritual term than actual brand or sect/orders BUT some DON'T and consider sanatan as traditional because they misinterperated Sanatan Sikhi as Sanatan Matt (distinctive group).

Remember Sanatan matt is completely opposite of Gurmat.

One who follow Gurmat and can not alinged themselve to Sanatan Matt but they can surely aling themselves as "Sanatan Sikh" because it's eternal.

Because it means eternal..if we look at the ultimately and study from those quotes above under sanatan sikhi then every one of us is sanatan not traditionally but spiritually because we follow sikhi of nirankar..we follow bani which is from dhuro(divine message) - Dhur Ki bani.

Reason i m clarifying is because of this hatred towards sanatan word itself...and that's not right..one has to make distincation between sanatan sikhi and sanatan matt.

so please guys don't just hate word sanatan sikhi because it's means more than you think it means..it means eternal, not tradition.

defination of eternal :Being without beginning or end

Ikongkar satnam karta purkh nirbhau nirvair akaal murat ajoni sahibang Gurparsad ||

Jap Ad such, jugad sach, hai bhi sach nanak hosbhi sach ||

• 2 years later...

connections between sikhi and sanatan dharma?

an interesting read:

http://moralstories.wordpress.com/2006/05/...iva-and-vishnu/

is it right to say sanatan dharma is broader than sanatan sikhi? despite the connections to sufi islam sikhi has? is it possible for sikhi to be both dharmic and semitic? could sikhi be meant to open a window into both forms of faith?

Brahma is the divine Word, which determines true Knowledge (Dharma);

Shiva is the interpreter of divine Meaning, which determines true Action (Arth);

Vishnu is the divine Form, which determines true Will or Desire (Kama); and

the eternal bliss (Shanta) of Moksha, which arises when all three are successfully united, is Trimurti.

is there a link as claimed by some between Shiva's trishul, the khanda and the adi chand?

No faith can but be identical with Sanatana Dharma. The Sikh Gurus are "not Hindu" in the sense that they explicitly deny the absolute authority of the Vedas, and place their faith in Guru Granth Sahib.

The Sikhs are a kind of specialized Hindu community. They are essentially Kshatriya, and as such have always been close to some of the greatest Gurus of Sanatana Dharma.

sanatan dharma is a huge ancient cartwheel, (as shown on the indian flag) with an enormous number of long spokes; whereas Sikhism is an innovative discus, trimmed down for speed and efficiency ~ like the shining wheel of a speedy military chariot ~ and since the construction is entirely of noble materials, it glides along just above the ground.

Perhaps the most impressive part of this religious contraption is the fact that it has been armour-plated for eternal safety ~ so that stray shafts wielded by anyone foolish enough to attempt interfering with the device should be easily deflected.

The problem, often mentioned, of Priests twisting the truth over time to suit their own purposes, has been solved by the quite miraculous composition of the Guru Granth Sahib.

The Sikh Guru is fixed in brilliant pages filled with all the best Truths from many of the best Gurus (whatever their origins); and the spokes of Sikhism have been covered by this bulletproof sheeting.

In effect, the Sikh Dharma is a shield ~ like a boss in the heart of Sanatana Dharma.

what are the similarities & differences between the Marhatta army and the Nihangs? from the very little info i've come across they appear very similar. both have links to sanatan dharma. also the marhattas used muslim generals in their army and had good links with sufi muslims. the story of Shivaji doing puja of Bhavani (Durga) and being given a sword to fight sounds very similar to a story about Guru Gobind Singh ji and the background of chandi di war. but if the 2 armies were so similar why did they not fight as one - what ideological distinctions were there?

the Gurus, Panj Piaarey, Bhagats, etc. were all against caste discrimination and the end result was for all to merge in gurbani or all to merge in the khalsa. yet all the above were avtaars - why did they themselves manifest themselves in the same caste as previous lives? is this not God's Play?

some info.advice from sanatan sikhs would be appreciated..

I would have to disagree to a point with Akaal108 with the conclusion that has been derived from the quotations that have been posted. If anything the quotes are reflective of The concept of Dharma, universalism and the unlimited virtues of spirituality which (for me anyway) is Dharma and to be a Sikh one of the same. You have said the Snathan Sikhi is not a sub-group, off-shoot etc, yes I agree it shouldn’t be but fundamentally it has become one. That itself is not meant as a criticism but more of a reflection of what the reality is as with other schools of thought such as AKJ’s, Taksal, Namdari, Nirmalas, etc etc etc who all primarily consider themselves to be “a bit more accurate, a bit more truer” maybe this was never the intention but if you look carefully its there in all their mentalities. I suppose this is just the way of Human nature.

I think realistically very few move spiritually, from what I have seen, felt etc from my experience I would say a lot if not most are still struggling with the basics of survivalism and tribalism this really is more to do with shortcomings in our human nature. What we are doing is simply plastering over the cracks from time to time by re-branding re-inventing something that we haven’t understood, becomes as we define everything according the limitations of our logic anything outside of that is unnerving, impossible, false etc.