56 Sikh Families convert to Christianity

500 years ago Guru Nanak Sahib Ji rejected the Caste system. :cool:

The sad fact - if we don't follow Guru Ji and also give up using, supporting or labelling people by caste then we will drive others away from Sikhi. blush.gif

From a simple thing like saying, "are you Jatt?", "are you a Thakaan?" or "what caste are you from?" Sadly we are nowadays even trying to divide our shaheeds and great sikhs of the past into what caste group they descended from. no.gif(have we forgotten: "Khalsa meri Jaat ar pat")

From simple thing like labelling our Gurdwaras, "Ramgharia Gurdwara", "Ravidaas Gurdwara", "Bhatra Gurdwara", "Balmik Gurdwara" etc Where is "Guru's" Gurdwara? :)

From simple thing like making jokes about 'lower castes' and showing the slightest of discrimination. So depressing to see that we even try to attach and figure out the "caste" of Amritdharis and sometimes call people "he is a low-caste Amritdhari Singh". ohmy.gif

Shall we carry on to do this or shall make a promise this Vaisakhi, that we will take one step closer to the Guru and destroy the caste-system's influence on the Sikh community?

Do we want it on our consciousness that we have pushed people away from Sikhi and that we have let our Guru down in representing the Guru's Sikhi? :)

Please read this article (it shows the consequences of 'Sikhs' ignoring Guru's Hukam and still labelling and using caste system... This time 56 families left Sikhi, tomorrow it may be more if we don't take action and change ourselves) no.gif

News: 56 Sikh families convert to Christianity

Guru Raka! pray.gif

I agree it's pathetic....... anyone who supports castism might aswell call themselves hindu let's face it theres nothing Sikh about being castist.

What caste are those who embrace sikhism? like western black, white and hispanic Sikhs? They dont have one because thats the way it should be....... it's high time Sikhs from Indian subcontinent ethnicity did the same if we are true Sikhs.

I went to a wedding 2 years ago were my cousin got married to a jatti....after dating her for almost 5 years. You would think that her family would have been relieved she got married to a fellow Sikh and not run off with someone outside the religion... but no most of her family didnt attend the wedding.

Any how they are happy married and have recently had a baby son.

I think inter caste marriages are the best way forward in cracking this man made barrier.

no.gif This is sad news………

You have idiots saying that Sikhism only says don’t believe in caste but is silent about race…………..BUT our Guru’s stated “Manas Ki Jaat Ekh Paachano” (Recognise the Human race as one!

Jaat mean Social Status, race, Caste etc…..even gender………….descrimination based on “Jaat” is a non no amongst Sikhs yet sections of our community still do it………why?

For example in the Uk I have noticed discrimination against immigrants by our Sikhs………….this is wrong too….. no.gif

We need to be forthright and declare any Sikhs who discriminate based on Jaat as being outside the Paanth………..

Well said Sher Panjab.

While Sikhs have stupidly argued amongs ourselves our religion has sustained major attack from Islam, Christianity, Hinduism.

I think a time has come for a SPGC equivalent based in the West where the education system is better, free from the interference of a Hindu government and more relevant to Sikhs who live away from the Punjab.

Dr. Ambedkar warned us many years ago how Hindu influences was destroying Sikhism from within. With issues like caste Sikhs don't need enemies we are the enemies.

Jeevan

I think this story is false. check the following link out.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050418/punjab1.htm#1

However, some of the sacked employees denied that they had abandoned Sikhism to join Christianity. Senior leaders of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) including Mr Manjit Singh, an Akali MLA, and some SGPC members, reached the spot to cross-check the alleged conversions. Some of the sacked SGPC members alleged that they were “mis-guided” by a part-time correspondent of a Jalandhar-based daily that he would be instrumental in getting them jobs in the SGPC again if they would threaten conversion. The SAD/ SGPC leaders claimed that the journalist had apologised before the “Sikh Sangat” for the “baseless propaganda”. They said the SAD/SGPC would take legal action against the “so-called journalist” for the “concocted story”. They claimed that no function was held for the said conversion.

Yaa who knows if the story is true or false but I think the bigger concern si this whole caste thing...it reli gets to me, i mean i never knew what caste i wuz until i hit highskool ... i knw u guyz mus think im crazy :): but neway i thnk thats the way it shud b, actualy i wished i nevr found out wha caste i wuz cuz not like its affecting me rite now.. I enter hgihskool n mos guyz r like 'wooo Jatt pride' n im like ok there losers , even tho my family has strong believers of caste and r constantly pressuring me to look at caste wen it comes to marriage...

Like we'll say that Sikhi doesn't believe in caste and everythin but most parents/kids will believe in em wen it comes time for marriage or which Gurudwara to go to, etc etc

I was argueing with my Sikhism Professor one day about castes saying in my opinion that Guru Ji told us not to believe in em and its just cultural values that are leading us to believe in em

n her arguement wuz that theres a possibility that the Guru's just said treast every1 equal but nuttin about caste system doesnt exist cuz each of the Guru's themselevs married within caste

like i said :): so ne1 with more knowledge plz lemme know wha shud b said about that cuz i dun think Guru Ji would ever tell us to do sumthin n then not follow themseleves and i have faith thas not the case sooo...

Bhul Chuk Maaf :cool: