Neglect of Harmandir Sahib

kurtas

A few weeks ago I went to the Darbar Sahib complex. I have never been too impressed with the upkeep of the Harmandir Sahib by the SGPC but what I saw was very upsetting.

I attach a few pictures from the upper levels of Harmandir Sahib. They show the utter neglect that requires expert restoration. I bet the SGPC have not even bothered to photograph things in detail so when restoration is done the experts have something to go by.

The work done on the Akal Takht is also very shoddy. The ceiling looks like a bodge up job you would expect in a Las Vegas reconstruction of a historical building. A lot of money was raised in India and the West for rebuilding the Akal Takht. I wonder where it has gone as looking at the work in the building it does not appear to have been spent there.

post-2624-1114200035.jpg

post-2624-1114200052.jpg

post-2624-1114200071.jpg

post-2624-1114200098.jpg

Thank you for addressing this!

i just recently travelled to india and found the state of the Gold Temple deplorable. Sikhs from around the world contribute to the upkeep of the site yet no restoration is occuring.

Where is the money going? thats the big question, cuz if its not going into the Temple its clearly going somewhere else. And not to the rennovation or innovation of the site.

The facilities "offered" at the Temple are also greatly mismanaged. There was a new Canadian hostel created (through foreign funds) for foreign visitors which simply refuses to give rooms to those who need it. Many people were given bistray and were told to sleep on the floor, these people were willing and ready to pay for the unoccupied rooms. Only by arguing with the manager was i handed a room key to a large bedroom with full washroom facilities and an (gasp) air conditioner, i suspect many of the unoccupied locked rooms were simply denied to others, and personally i felt the manager felt great pride by accomplishing this.

Unfortunately the funds are clearly being mismanaged by those with influence. Personally i think its our duty to hold these people accountable to the state our holiest of places is being kept.

Many sikh artifacts, art and structure, and thus our history, religious and regional, is wasting away.

Its just so sad that this is happening within our community when sikhs willingly donate large amounts of money to make Gurdwaras around Punjab better.

fateh jio

in india includin allhouses the paint jobs etc as you can see in the pictures is due to the climate conditions as it gets damp!

but i do feel that something is needed to be done,

maybe somebody can write a letter to them?

vgjkk vgjkfateh!

95709[/snapback]

I have emailed the SGPC on a few issues and they always reply stating it has been passed to xyz. Nothing ever gets done. I am now of the opinion that the only way to get them to do anything is to embarass them into action when SGPC members come to the UK on fund raising exercises. I doubt they take letters any more seriously.

nkt826, Some very good point you have raised. It appears that unless you are connected to Badal Akali Dal most rooms in the serai are off limits. Recently there were elections close to the border and Badal shipped in his rent a mob and they were all given rooms in the serai whilst the election campaign was on. So ordinary devotees were denied rooms so Badal and his stooges could accomodate "Akali" workers. Just shows how the SGPC has failed the intentions of its founders and should be disbanded as they are now just as bad as the mahants. I find it astonishing that after all the mismangement by the SGPC they expect to be handed the Pakistan Gurdwara.