Why In Kirtan

yeah, there's some gurbani quote, can't remember where it is, and it says those that can't get past the tune are fools. Basically, forget about whether or not it's in raag, focus on the words. The tune is just a tune.

The purpose of the panktee is very different and does not support your argument. Guru Ji wrote Bani in Raags. What that panktee means is that Bani should be given priority but Raags are also important. Keertan must be sung in "Shudh Bani". Ragis should focus on Bani and meanings and must sing out of love. Singing Gurbani in raags in a way that no one understands a single word is useless. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

yeah, there's some gurbani quote, can't remember where it is, and it says those that can't get past the tune are fools. Basically, forget about whether or not it's in raag, focus on the words. The tune is just a tune.

The purpose of the panktee is very different and does not support your argument. Guru Ji wrote Bani in Raags. What that panktee means is that Bani should be given priority but Raags are also important. Keertan must be sung in "Shudh Bani". Ragis should focus on Bani and meanings and must sing out of love. Singing Gurbani in raags in a way that no one understands a single word is useless. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

99361[/snapback]

Yea but if our gurus wanted us to do kirtan in the style of raag shouldnt we obey their comand???

It's our weaknesses -- and then we try to justify it.

Some people don't like wearing a big/normal size kirpan so they wear small Kirpans in their necklaces or in the kanga... then they justify it. Then others justify it by saying "if X Singh can wear a small mini kirpan in his kangha/necklace then its okay for me to do it".

Baani is in raag. If we can't sing in Raag because we don't have the Giaan or experience then we should put up our hands and say "we should sing in Raag, but due to my weaknesses in knowledge of Raag Kirtan (all humans have weaknesses!!) i can't sing in Raag, H0WEVER we should all STRIVE to sing in Raag".... this seems a better response than justifying our own shortcomings.

If anyone can sing in Raag - fantastic.

If someone can't sing in Raag - then okay, but also take steps in learning in Raag to your best ability

I personally never sang in raag. then i realised that guru ji has written baani in raags so i "strive" to play kirtan in raag... i am just a basic learner and so can't play many shabads in raag and so sometimes i still play shabads in non-raags... but realising the importance of raag is step 1, step 2 is learning shabads in raag then step 3 is when u can play kirtan in raag.

Daas' vichaar. bhul chuk maaf karnee ji.

bhul chuk maaf

It's our weaknesses -- and then we try to justify it.

Some people don't like wearing a big/normal size kirpan so they wear small Kirpans in their necklaces or in the kanga... then they justify it.  Then others justify it by saying "if  X Singh can wear a small mini kirpan in his kangha/necklace then its okay for me to do it".

Baani is in raag.  If we can't sing in Raag because we don't have the Giaan or experience then we should put up our hands and say "we should sing in Raag, but due to my weaknesses in knowledge of Raag Kirtan (all humans have weaknesses!!) i can't sing in Raag, H0WEVER we should all STRIVE to sing in Raag".... this seems a better response than justifying our own shortcomings.

If anyone can sing in Raag - fantastic.

If someone can't sing in Raag - then okay, but also take steps in learning in Raag to your best ability

I personally never sang in raag.  then i realised that guru ji has written baani in raags so i "strive" to play kirtan in raag... i am just a basic learner and so can't play many shabads in raag and so sometimes i still play shabads in non-raags... but realising the importance of raag is step 1,  step 2 is learning shabads in raag then step 3 is when u can play kirtan in raag.

Daas' vichaar.  bhul chuk maaf karnee ji.

bhul chuk maaf

99389[/snapback]

Vaheguruuu, Truu sayyyyyy