racial attack

Guest SaintSoldier
someone cuttin ur kesh is not a small thing, so many shaheeds gave their lives not their hair... now ppl are saying if he pulled out his kirpan to save his hair, it would have put his life in danger, he was only 17.. SO WATTTTTTTTTTTt

It is not a small thing. If he pulled his kirpan it would have endangered his life, there were 5 adults with knives he was up against. Bravery is one thing stupidity is another. And it is easy for you and me to type away while we sit behind our keyboards, when we have not been through the situation. Honestly not even knowing you I can guarantee you would not have taken the stand, despite the tough act (if this story is legitimate)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovinc...6de17c5a&page=1

Sikh leader, police urge community to remain calm

Five thugs beat up 17-year-old Sikh before cutting off hair

John Colebourn and Stuart Hunter

The Province

June 1, 2005

CREDIT: Nick Procaylo, The Province

A 17-year-old Sikh was attacked by a gang of thugs and had his turban ripped off and hair cut at Grauer Elementary School in Richmond.

An Indo-Canadian leader and police appealed for calm yesterday after a young Sikh's turban was pulled from his head and his long hair cut off by five thugs.

"I'd like to ask my brothers and sisters to remain calm," said Balwant Sanghera, a spokesman for the Sikh Societies of the Lower Mainland.

"This is very serious and we have some young men who may get too excited and I urge them to remain calm.

"The hair, the turban, they are all religious symbols to us.

"I think the people who committed this heinous crime need help.

"I hope it's not a hate crime -- it's an isolated incident. I don't remember anything like this in the Lower Mainland before."

Said Richmond RCMP Cpl. Peter Thiessen: "This is absolutely disgusting. Whether this is a hate crime or not, we're not clear yet but it has all the elements that could classify it as a hate crime.

"This has huge overtones in the Sikh community and we want them to remain calm and not overreact."

The 17-year-old Sikh was walking home across the playing field at Richmond's Grauer Elementary School about 5:15 p.m. last Thursday when five Caucasian men in their 20s who were playing basketball approached.

One uttered a racial slur and the Sikh ignored him and kept walking. But the men ran after him and punched him in the head, knocking him to the ground. Once down, one of them held an X-Acto knife to his neck as the others punched and kicked him.

They grabbed the teen's wallet, pulled off his turban and cut off his hair with the knife. He was treated in hospital for cuts and bruises.

Nav Sanghera, a volunteer with the Indo-Canadian Youth Anti-Violence Group, said the attack "would be very traumatic to a practising Sikh."

"This is the ultimate insult. When you go attacking someone's religious conviction it's hard to see it as anything else other than racist."

Kulpreet Singh, 22, a volunteer with the West Coast Sikh Youth Alliance, called the attack disturbing.

"This is five people targeting an innocent person for no reason -- it's just a racist thing.

"I think it was just a bunch of thugs. I think this is something a lot of high school students face. It is a very horrible situation."

Singh predicted the victim will recover with spiritual guidance.

"The things they did to him, physically, he will heal from but when it comes to cutting his hair and taking his turban, he will need moral support and spiritual strength."

Kasar Bhatti, a member of the Khalsa Diwan Society which runs the Ross Street Temple, predicted a community backlash.

"It is not only insulting but a desecration of the Sikh faith -- the hair is a symbol and it is to be kept unshorn and in a turban," Bhatti said. "You don't hear about that kind of incident happening very often.

"This is more than just a little fight in a school yard. The whole community will be upset and have demonstrations -- it's a matter of faith just like if a Muslim or Christian was attacked for his faith."

Residents of the well-kept neighbourhood where the attack took place said there have been problems in the past, but nothing so violent.

"It's shocking. Weekends you hear noise and kids are drinking but I've never heard about problems like this," said Parwez Hamidi, 26.

Linda Curial recently moved to Richmond from the Vancouver east side to get away from gang problems.

She was surprised no one saw the attack. "You'd think at suppertime people are out working on their yards and someone would have heard or seen something," she said. "There's a lot of people going through the school grounds at that time of day."

Police are looking for witnesses.

In March, a 28-year-old man was swarmed by a pack of about 20 teens and savagely beaten at Minoru Park in Richmond.

Three people are now before the courts on assault charges.

jcolebourn@png.canwest.com

shunter@png.canwest.com

- - -

HAIR SACRED

Sikhs are not allowed to cut or trim their hair, including the beard, because they believe the hair on one's body was meant to grow. To cut the hair is regarded as an act against the Lord's will.

"The hair is a very sacred part of the Sikh faith and the turban is like the crown and an emblem of being a graceful and righteous person," said Kulpreet Singh, a volunteer with the West Coast Sikh Youth Alliance.

"If someone comes and cuts your hair and takes your turban they are trying to take your religion away from you and that is horrible. It's like a complete attack on a Sikh."

© The Vancouver Province 2005

It is not a small thing. If he pulled his kirpan it would have endangered his life, there were 5 adults with knives he was up against. Bravery is one thing stupidity is another. And it is easy for you and me to type away while we sit behind our keyboards, when we have not been through the situation. Honestly not even knowing you I can guarantee you would not have taken the stand, despite the tough act (if this story is legitimate)

Don't be too quick to judge someone, you don't know what someone might be capable of, doesn't mean if they express their views online makes them any vulnerable to attacks outside, they could be a martial artist, and unless they clearly say they're not you have no right to judge them.

Last time I checked pulling out your kirpan doesn't put you in danger, but helps you in danger.

"Bravery is one thing stupidity is another." Sooo...Guru Gobind Singh ji raising a people to fight hundreds to one is that bravery or stupidity? You gotta get your facts straight.

Baba Jujhar Singh ji at the age of 15 fought in a war, this is just a scuffle with 5 men.

Once again I would like to remind everyone that no point advocatin retaliation especially since the facts of the case arent clear.

For all we know the boy could have cut his own hair and made up the story to escape the blame. There have been previous cases were it later emerged that the guys cut their own hair and the whole community who supported their story felt betrayed and embrassed after learning the truth.

Let's not be quick to judge.....

Guest SaintSoldier
Last time I checked pulling out your kirpan doesn't put you in danger, but helps you in danger.
In his case it would have provoked the attackers to slit his throat, they had a knife, according to him, to his throat
Bravery is one thing stupidity is another." Sooo...Guru Gobind Singh ji raising a people to fight hundreds to one is that bravery or stupidity? You gotta get your facts straight.

My facts are straight I don't need you to recite them to me.

Baba Jujhar Singh ji at the age of 15 fought in a war, this is just a scuffle with 5 men.

The guy wasn't Bhai Jujhar Singh, or of that spirtual level.

Think rationally.