Using Microwave with meatlovers

Vaheguroo ji Ka khalsa

Vaheguroo ji kee fatehh

Sangat ji,

Please help me decide what to do as at work people at work are using same microwave to cook food. I am amritdhari and I think I should not use the microwave the one everyone is using. Please help me what to do?

Thanks,

Vaheguroo ji Ka khalsa

Vaheguroo ji kee fatehh

Waheguru can see the situations we are put in and understands. . . Personally I don't think that it's a problem to use the microwave as long as when you heat your food you cover it with a plate or something that way no juices or anything can get into it (and actually your supposed to cover food in a microwave anyway). . .

If you are that concerned about it then take sandwiches or something from home instead. . . However it's not as if your food is touching any meat in the microwave. . .

Gurfateh!!

I admit it is hard but sometimes some things are beyond our control. Yes idealy we are meant to cook our own food in sarabloh eat out of sarabloh etc etc. but this isnt always possible.

Im living in a flat with 5 other guys, they all eat meat and fish. They use the microwave their food exploded in there because they're too lazy to remember they have food in there. They use the oven and gril and cook their food directly on the shelf by the end of the week there's a whole loads of white fat solid on the bottom. They don't clean it. Im not going to clean it!! I've never eaten meat never touched it (apart from disecting animals) and to me it was all rather disguisting. But i then decided to use these methods of preparing food, because i got bored of pasta tongue.gif

You just have to make sure your food doesnt touch anything and is covered. Yeah sometimes i oven my food and it comes out smelling like some meat product. But fact is im not eating meat and you just have to think its like eating food from Macdonalds or somewhere.

Don't worry too much on this issue. Just keep your rehit and keep doing paat thats more important.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

I am amritdhari and I think I should not use the microwave the one everyone is using. Please help me what to do?

100826[/snapback]

Fateh.

While it is important to be aware of our surroundings and not knowingly associate ourselves with those thigns which will corrupt our mind and body it is also important to keep in mind Gurmat (i.e. the Guru's thinking) in every situation. Tho i am glad to see that being a Singh you are consious and making effort to be aware of your environment and what u allow to enter ur body (and our mind) i would have to say that sharing a microwave with ur fellowworks will in no way 'contaminate', 'pollute' or make your food in any way less permisible were it cooked by your own hands at home.

Granted people may cook various dishes, some of which u may also partake in and some which u may object to eating, however as mentioned above simply using the microwave to heat ur food will not alter the content or nature of ur own food. If it were, then one only has to think about the countless steps involved in growing, cultivating, processing, storing and then retailing the food item and who knows in how many of those places the food was placed/stored alongside an item which was objectional. One would potentially have to reject all food except that grown, harvested and cooked within the confines of their own home if such were the case. And even then they're wud stil be some outside link out of our control. (i.e. equipment, soil, dishes, water etc.)

The Guru has reminded that cleansiness is not attained merely by the food we eat, and nor is it by how or where we cook it. That is why the Guru spoke out against the Brahmnical practice of cooking food in enclosed areas which were off-limits to other castes. Pollution and dirt arises from within ones mind not by ones method of cooking.

cauky aupir iksY n jwxw ]

but they do not allow anyone else to enter their kitchen areas.

dy kY caukw kFI kwr ]

They draw lines around them, plastering the ground with cow-dung.

aupir Awie bYTy kUiVAwr ]

The false come and sit within them.

mqu iBtY vy mqu iBtY ] iehu AMnu Aswfw iPtY ]

They cry out, ""Do not touch our food, or it will be polluted!""

qin iPtY PyV kryin ]

But with their polluted bodies, they commit evil deeds.

min jUTY culI Bryin ]

With filthy minds, they try to cleanse their mouths.

khu nwnk scu iDAweIAY ]

Says Nanak, meditate on the True Lord.

suic hovY qw scu pweIAY ]2]

If you are pure, you will obtain the True Lord. ||2||

Impurity is all around us and cannot be easily eliminated by mere artificial boundaries be they of kitchen utensils, microwaves, ovens or even different rooms. It can only be eliminated and avoided by keeping ones thinking and actions pure. That is why Bhagat Kabir Ji says the following:

khu pMifq sUcw kvnu Twau ]

Tell me, O Pandit, O religious scholar, which place is uncontaminated?

jhW bYis hau Bojnu Kwau ]1] rhwau ]

Where should I sit to eat my meal? ||1||Pause||

ijhbw jUTI bolq jUTw krn nyqR siB jUTy ]

The tongue is impure, and its speech is impure. The eyes and ears are totally impure.

ieMdRI kI jUiT auqris nwhI bRhm Agin ky lUTy ]2]

The impurity of the sexual organs does not depart; the Brahmin is burnt by the fire. ||2||

Agin BI jUTI pwnI jUTw jUTI bYis pkwieAw ]

The fire is impure, and the water is impure. The place where you sit and cook is impure.

jUTI krCI prosn lwgw jUTy hI bYiT KwieAw ]3]

Impure is the ladle which serves the food. Impure is the one who sits down to eat it. ||3||

gobru jUTw caukw jUTw jUTI dInI kwrw ]

Impure is the cow dung, and impure is the kitchen square. Impure are the lines that mark it off.

kih kbIr qyeI nr sUcy swcI prI ibcwrw ]4]1]7]

Says Kabeer, they alone are pure, who have obtained pure understanding.

So what kitchen is fit for a Sikh to eat in? Guru Amar Das ji answers this very clearly when he states:

scw caukw suriq kI kwrw ]

Pure is that kitchen, which is enclosed by spiritual awareness.

So do not worry veerji bout how uses and doesnt use the microwave and what they heat in it. Just remember to eat healthy and keep Waheguru's name embezzled in ur heart 24/7 adn then any place u choose to eat or heat ur food will become divine.

Fateh

Sandip Singh

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa!

Waheguru ji kee Fateh!

Thanks for that reply Kharkoo4Life - one of the best I've read on these boards. In fact I think Singh Sahib Prof Darshan Singh Ji covered this topic in his latest Sukhmani Sahib lesson. For those who haven't yet, check out www.ggsacademy.com.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa!

Waheguru ji kee Fateh!