Bluestar fans Khalistan embers

GAJINDER SINGH

07bluestar.jpg

Protesters shout pro-Khalistan slogans in front of the Golden Temple on Monday. (AFP)

Amritsar, June 6: The demand for an independent state of Khalistan sprang back to centre-stage today after kirpan-wielding youths led by several Sikh separatist leaders raised slogans in the Golden Temple complex, vowing not to let Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale’s “sacrifice” go waste.

Cries of “Khalistan zindabad” rose in the air as the 30,000 devotees, who had gathered for the 21st anniversary of Operation Bluestar and the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev nearly 400 years ago, nodded in agreement.

When the day began at 7 am with special prayers at the Akal Takht, the highest Sikh temporal body, there was no hint the calm of the temple complex would be shattered for the first time in many years.

But by 9, kirpan-wielding youths, led by Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) leader Simranjit Singh Mann, self-styled “President of Khalistan” Jagjit Singh Chauhan, Kanwarpal Singh of the Dal Khalsa and Harnam Singh Dhuma, the chief of Damdami Taksal, a seminary Bhindranwale headed, had taken over.

They forced Jagir Kaur, the chief of the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), which manages all gurdwaras in the country, and Shiromani Akali Dal president and former chief minister Parkash Singh Badal to beat a hasty retreat. Both had earlier been booed as “traitors” for their moderate views.

It was also the first time that the separatist elements acknowledged Bhindranwale as a martyr. They hung a placard declaring the Martyr’s Gallery on the ground floor of the Akal Takht as the only memorial to Bhindranwale, who spent his time there before the army surrounded the temple on June 2, 1984 during Operation Bluestar, and distributed free posters and booklets containing Bhindranwale’s speeches.

“We demand the creation of Khalistan. After the new state is formed, it should act as a buffer between India and Pakistan. Bhindranwale’s sacrifice will not be allowed to go waste. Sikhs are a nation and (we) demand a separate state for us,” Mann said.

The SGPC, which had earlier announced the construction of a memorial, Shaheed-e-Minar, in memory of those who died during Operation Bluestar, failed to lay the foundation stone. “The design and place are yet to be finalised,” Kaur said.

In an exclusive chat with The Telegraph, Chauhan said he was pleased by the reaction of those who were present at the temple.

“I am in regular touch with Wadhwa Singh of the Babbar Khalsa International, Paramjiot Singh Panjwar of the Khalistan Commando Force and Lakhbir Singh Rode of the Sikh Youth International to try and evolve a strategy to create Khalistan. I have also asked them to come back to India like I have done and work among the community here.”

“Sikhs have suffered a lot under Delhi and it is time for a new non-violent movement to be launched or the creation of Khalistan. Since Sikhs do not interfere in the working of any other community, we would like to warn the state and the Centre against driving us to the wall. The Manmohan Singh government is a failure not only for the Sikhs but for the country as a whole.”

Damdami Taksal chief Dhuma said Bhindranwale’s death anniversary would be observed in a big way at the seminary on June 12.

“This is the first time we have accepted he is dead,” Dhuma added.

Akal Takht jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti rued that even after 21 years, the Centre “has not found it fit to pass a resolution in Parliament condemning” the 1984 army action, ordered by the then Congress government to flush out militants from the temple.

He also said Congress leaders “involved” in the 1984 riots after then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination “continue to enjoy prominence” in the government. This “failure”, he added, “continues to unnerve the Sikhs”.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050607/asp/...ory_4836313.asp

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Sikhs have suffered a lot under Delhi and it is time for a new non-violent movement to be launched or the creation of Khalistan. Since Sikhs do not interfere in the working of any other community, we would like to warn the state and the Centre against driving us to the wall. The Manmohan Singh government is a failure not only for the Sikhs but for the country as a whole.”

:doh:

"BJP firebrand leader Laxmi Kanta Chawla took strong exception to the “glorification” of terrorists by Sikh radical organisations and warned that people of Punjab would not tolerate any threat to the hard-won peace in the state. Recalling the days of militancy, she said the perpetrators of violence would not be acceptable to society and those who are raising memorials must realise that peace must prevail." - http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.ppa?content_id=71829

The only terrorists are those who are charged with the protection of the unity of Indian Union at any costs....even if it means committing terrorists acts in counter insurgency subversive operations, killing innocent people who demand self determination through peaceful means.

These groups are RAW (Research Analysis Wing) and Illegal Indian paramilitary forces ( Baj Rang Dal, VHP, Shiv Sena) and externally the ISI of Pakistan.

ssa to all,

oey why r u spreading rumours?

there is no popular support for khalistan among the khalsa fraternity.we all know the likes of chauhan and others.they all basically want to come in power.

jarnail singh bhindranwala was no saint.he was neither a terrorist. he was just a congress stooge who turned against his own masters. he was just a preacher who was brought into lime light by sanjay gandhi to counter the akali's.

and one more thing bhindranwala was nevr against hindu's nor he ever supported khalistan. it's proved in the interview he gave to a popular journalist.

why don't u give me 10 reasons why khalistan won't fail as a state????

ssa to all,

there is no popular support for khalistan among the khalsa fraternity.we all know the likes of chauhan and others.they all basically want to come in power.

jarnail singh bhindranwala was no saint.he was neither a terrorist. he was just a congress stooge who turned against his own masters. he was just a preacher who was brought into lime light by sanjay gandhi to counter the akali's.

and one more thing bhindranwala was nevr against hindu's nor he ever supported khalistan. it's proved in the interview he gave to a popular journalist.

101854[/snapback]

TAKE UR PROPOGANDA ELSEWHERE

i hope they raise a memorial...a memorial in every city....i'd support a memorial to just pissoff these dimwits who have the nerve question the shaheedi of our singhs.

101831[/snapback]

I agree :doh:

Every village who had a shaheed for Sikhi should have some kind of memorial to him/her. So that their ultimate sacrifices are never forgotten.

ssa to all,

101854[/snapback]

No one is spreading rumours Ji,

We just telling it how it is. Your analysis of situation back in the 1980's is generalised but fair enough thats your opinion.

As for Khalistan being a failed state, well I find that laughable. Sikh's are some of the most hard working and enterprising people on the face of this earth. Why can't Khalistan be a success?

It wont become a reality over night and the borders of Khalistan is an imporant issue as no way can a soveriegn Sikh state be formed without Nanaka Sahib and/or lahore included within the borders.

Instead of giving you reasons of being a failed state why not give you the reasons why their is a NEED for it.

1) Drug and alchol abuse is rife in the Punjab state due to relaxed policies of successive govts. Khalistan govt will put an end to these vices and intoxicants. If you want drugs go to India or Pakistan otherwise go to jail :TH:

2) Water treaties that is drying Punjab up. A Khalistan govt will re-negociate the treaties for a fairer deal.

3) Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji said: "Raj Bina Nahin Dharam Chale Hain, Dharam Bina Sab Dalle Malle Hain" which literally means that sovereignty is a MUST in order for a religion to survive; otherwise religion perishes. Now you can understand that even Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself has said it.

4) Before India became independent the Hindus leaders of the new nation Nehru and Gandhi promised that Sikhs would be given full rights in India and that no law would be passed without consulting Sikhs.

"...in future, the Congress shall accept no constitution which does not meet with the satisfaction of the Sikhs" (The Lahore session of the Congress Party. December 31, 1929)

"...the brave Sikhs of Punjab are entitled to special considerations. I see nothing wrong in an area set up in the North of India wherein, the Sikhs can also experience the glow of freedom." (Jawahar Lal Nehru, Lahore Bulletin, January 9, 1930)

"I ask you to accept my word and the Resolution of the Congress that it will not betray a single individual much less a community. Let God be the witness of the bond that binds me and the Congress with you (the Sikhs). When pressed further Gandhi said that Sikhs would be justified in drawing their swords out of the scabbards as Guru Gobind Singh had asked them to, if Congress would renege on its commitment." (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Young India, March 19, 1931)

"You (Sikhs) take my word that if ever the Congress or I betray you, you will be justified to draw the sword as taught by Guru Gobind Singh" (M. K. Gandhi).

After the British left India, Sikhs were fired from their jobs and Hindus were hired. Then Indian constitution was written but Sikhs refused to sign it in the house of parliament because under Amendment (Dhara) 25 it declared Sikhism as part of Hinduism. When Sikhs talked to Nehru about their rights, he said "The time has changed now. If you wanted to live freely then why didn't you demand for a separate country from British?" Look at some more quotes that explain the real attitude of Hindus towards Sikhs.

" To preserve the unity of India, if we have to eradicate 2-kror [ 20 millions ] Sikhs, we will do so. (Balram Jhakhar, a colleague of P.V. Narsimharao, the former Indian Prime Minister)

" The Sikhs are a lawless people and a menace to the law abiding Hindus ... The [Government] should take strict measures against them." (Pandit Nehru, Indian Prime Minister, on Sikhs)

"Kya main taqat dushman (the enemy -the Sikhs) ke haath main de dun (How can I entrust power into the hands of the enemies)." (Jawahar Lal Nehru, 1961)

" I hate the very physique of a Sikh because of the turban and beard. " (Vallabh Bhai Patel, late Indian top politician)

"I don't give a damn if the Golden Temple and whole of Amritsar are destroyed, I want Bhindranwale dead." (Indira Gandhi, Indian Prime Minister, communicating with Gen. Vaidya during "Operation Blue Star")

"We have broken the back of the Sikhs and we will get them elsewhere." (M. M. K. Wali, Indian Foreign Secretary, June 7, 1984, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Radio 740, As It Happens)

"Let us teach these bastards (the Sikhs) a lesson." (Rajiv Gandhi, October 31, 1984)

"... a threat to the villagers that all males would be killed and their women taken to army camps to breed a new race if there was any militant activity in their village." (Brig. R. P. Sinha, Indian Army, March 8, 1991)

"You do not know the might of our armed forces. We will eliminate 10,000 Sikh youths and the world will know nothing about it." (Chander Shekhar, former Prime Minister of India, CK, 21st October, 1991)

5) Punjab's capital Chandigarh was also made the capital of Haryana. There is no high court in Punjab. Punjab has no control over its water, electricity and dams. All the electricity produced in Punjab is sent to Haryana, Rajasthan, Himacham Pardesh and Delhi. These states are given hydro projects which is affordable and cheap. The electricity that Punjab is given comes from the thermal plant which is more expensive.

6) Sikhs had and are being killed in fake encounters. There is disappearance of Sikh youth in Punjab. Indian government has killed from 1 to 1.2 million Sikhs and about 70 thousand Sikhs are in jail. Khalistan wil safeguard the interests of the Sikhs.

7) Sikhs are being humiliated in newspapers, on televisions and in movies. Anti-Sikh books are being published by the government to prove that Sikhism is part of Hinduism and Sikhs are Hindus although they will never succeed.

8) Buffer zone between nuclear rivals majority Hindu India and Muslim Pakistan. In the Middle the meeting of minds of a Sikh Khalistan.

9) Sikhs of all races and ethnicities need a homeland. When 9/11 happened Sikh's with turbans were targetted because they looked different. a Khalistan will provide a haven for Sikh's if any persecution takes place. And a govt that will truly represent and safeguard the interest's of ALL Sikh.

10 People of all religions and race's are welcome to take up Khalistan nationality but will never be allowed to become a majority to harm the interests of Sikh's.