being forced into amritdhari

A bit of perspective here...

It is important to understand what one means by "being forced into".

You are forced into something if you do it out of weakness and not strength. Bhai Taru Singh Ji was not forced into shaheedi, he embraced it. Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was not forced into sacrifice, he embraced it.

In this regard of course being forced into amrit would be wrong. However, just for a balanced perspective... To get the relevant answers one must post the relevant topics. The relevant topic is "replying to being forced out of sikhi". This is the thousand times more prevalent problem when it comes to force.

Sikhs who believe they are operating under their free will by cutting their hair are being forced into this by society. They do this out of weakness and not strength.

And what a disgusting shame when we go from the likes of Bhai Taru Singh to village idiots who cut their hair, put on suit, run for political office or get a formal education, or put their stunted mug in a punjabi paper ad and call themselves proud sikhs! I am not sure who is worse those that scalp Bhai Taru Singh and behead Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji.... or those that make a mockery of their courage and love afterward.

WJKK WJKF!

to be honest well atleast in my opinion ... forcing someone into amrit isnt always wrong!.... because sometimes its for their best.. even though its wrong in some ways.. and that each person should willing choose wen to take amrit.. sometimes beings forced can be a good thing.... for eg. my dads whole family were forced into getting amrit at the age of 15 or 16 by their older brother... even thought they were not ready at the time and did not want to.. they slowy started to understand and today 20 years after! their perfectly fine and they are soo glad that they got forced into it because if they hadnt onli waheguru noes how it would be now for them and also for us as their kids!.. im glad that my dad was forced in a way because we got to noe the real way of living and thats as being a sikh!... i understand what others point of view is and what they are saying and im not agenst ne of it cause i noes it right! this is just another view upon it!.. srry if i offended neone.. :doh:

bulchuk maf!

WJKK WJKF!

sikhi2max

Valuable and insightful view :TH: . Something i was not even thinking about. I think the concept of being forced has different conotations across cultures also. In certain time and place if an elder says you do something, you simply do it and you understand that this is a strength that the society relies on. This can be a strength in the way that entire society works. People understand and no one feels "forced"

Another place and time (ie. the west now) if the same scenario was provided, it would be an assault on one's independence.

Perhaps an analogy is a wholly arranged marriage of two 18 year olds a hundred fifty years ago and the same today.

yeha i think it's wrong

if someone want to be amritdhari with his happiness. that is ok

forcing is a sin , just like in past muslim forced sikhs to become muslim . but even not one sikh in past converted to islam .

preaching is only way to spread sikhi thru sants and true sikhs. that is the best way to spread sikhism with love.

bhool chook maaf

WJKK WJKF!

to be honest well atleast in my opinion ... forcing someone into amrit isnt always wrong!.... because sometimes its for their best.. even though its wrong in some ways.. and that each person should willing choose wen to take amrit.. sometimes beings forced can be a good thing.... for eg. my dads whole family were forced into getting amrit at the age of 15 or 16 by their older brother... even thought they were not ready at the time and did not want to.. they slowy started to understand and today 20 years after! their perfectly fine and they are soo glad that they got forced into it because if they hadnt onli waheguru noes how it would be now for them and also for us as their kids!.. im glad that my dad was forced in a way because we got to noe the real way of living and thats as being a sikh!... i understand what others point of view is and what they are saying and im not agenst ne of it cause i noes it right! this is just another view upon it!.. srry if i offended neone..  :doh:

bulchuk maf!

WJKK WJKF!

103826[/snapback]

That is great veerji but let me point out.. that is a very odd case because i can guarantee you that most of the time, people get put off rather than staying in ...

I can give many examples from my own family and friends, and stories i heard of others from friends and family ... im sure all you have examples too ... all i wana say is that look at this from a western perspective... a guy/girl raised in the western part of the world.. knows his/her whole family is amritdhari ... may decide to take amrit in the future but the family is pressuring to take amrit rite now. This breaks the effort or even slight thinking of ones to take amrit and come to that side... I know for a fact cuz i know when my sisters are told to be like me (where im amritdhari), they hate it, they hate it a lot when people tell them be like your brother... they dont want to take amrit like that.. but now they are doing the step on their own and guru kirpa naal both of my sisters will one day take amrit .. and by their choice not someone elses..

All im saying is pressuring/forcing any of that stuff is WRONG .. and should not be done even if you think that some will benefit BECAUSE who are we to judge that this person MAY benefit from it ... we dont know ... so dsaying that we can force someone because they in the future will love sikhi ... NO !! This is untrue and most of the time it wont happen... guru kirpa naal it has happened to a family such as sikh2themax.. but we shouldnt take this into consideration that we should force people..

just my two cents...

WJKK WJKF!

to be honest well atleast in my opinion ... forcing someone into amrit isnt always wrong!.... because sometimes its for their best.. even though its wrong in some ways.. and that each person should willing choose wen to take amrit.. sometimes beings forced can be a good thing.... for eg. my dads whole family were forced into getting amrit at the age of 15 or 16 by their older brother... even thought they were not ready at the time and did not want to.. they slowy started to understand and today 20 years after! their perfectly fine and they are soo glad that they got forced into it because if they hadnt onli waheguru noes how it would be now for them and also for us as their kids!.. im glad that my dad was forced in a way because we got to noe the real way of living and thats as being a sikh!... i understand what others point of view is and what they are saying and im not agenst ne of it cause i noes it right! this is just another view upon it!.. srry if i offended neone..  :doh:

bulchuk maf!

WJKK WJKF!

103826[/snapback]

That is great veerji but let me point out.. that is a very odd case because i can guarantee you that most of the time, people get put off rather than staying in ...

I can give many examples from my own family and friends, and stories i heard of others from friends and family ... im sure all you have examples too ... all i wana say is that look at this from a western perspective... a guy/girl raised in the western part of the world.. knows his/her whole family is amritdhari ... may decide to take amrit in the future but the family is pressuring to take amrit rite now. This breaks the effort or even slight thinking of ones to take amrit and come to that side... I know for a fact cuz i know when my sisters are told to be like me (where im amritdhari), they hate it, they hate it a lot when people tell them be like your brother... they dont want to take amrit like that.. but now they are doing the step on their own and guru kirpa naal both of my sisters will one day take amrit .. and by their choice not someone elses..

All im saying is pressuring/forcing any of that stuff is WRONG .. and should not be done even if you think that some will benefit BECAUSE who are we to judge that this person MAY benefit from it ... we dont know ... so dsaying that we can force someone because they in the future will love sikhi ... NO !! This is untrue and most of the time it wont happen... guru kirpa naal it has happened to a family such as sikh2themax.. but we shouldnt take this into consideration that we should force people..

just my two cents...

103843[/snapback]

WJKK WJKF!

srry!.... i didnt mean to say it was right but also didnt mean to say it was wrong!.. thats jus an example that i had used.. and yes bhaji u are right.... people shouldn't be forced/pressured at all and that they should always take amrit wen they feel they are ready!... but let me also point out that sometimes even if its by choice it does not always work out cause sometimes u either get lead into the wrong crowd or jus choose not to be amrit dari! anymore... iv'e seen this happen many times... i guess as its said ever thing happens for a reason... whats ment to be is ment to be we can not change that... Also everyone has their own oppnion on everything so i would also like to say that im not saying ne ones wrong no.gif so don't take me wrong! :TH:

bul chuk maf!

WJKK WJKF!