Should members have Caste based usenames?

Should members have Caste usernames?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should members have Caste usernames?

• Yes - Let the members learn and decide for themselves
    • No - Sikhi discourages belief in caste

Sat Sri Akal:

Forum is ideally a teaching forum. The objective is to teach those who come here in the hopes that they may be more acquainted in the ways of Sikhism. Let them keep their familial associations and heopfully, if they choose to become Sikhs, they will shed these caste-associated names themselves.

"Yes in sikhi we should have name SINGH/KAUR or KHALSA as our last name BUTTTTT there is nothing wrong with having another (ie.gill, randhawa, etx...) as your last name.."

This keeping of the family name after becoming one of the Khalsa Panth is not right. The example is set by Guru Gobind Singh himself, who removed his family name from his name and became a Singh after having been bestowed Amrit. If its good for the Guru, its good for the Sikh. Rest is everyone's own choice, but the example is what it is.

Sorry for any offense.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody's saying that they can't use their real name in their screennames or nethin like that... tha's all good... even in my school docs and all that stuff i use my real last name 'kalsi'....

what I got from the oringial question was using the actual CASTE in the screenname.... for example 'jatt' or 'ramgharia' or 'bhamin' or something... u know what i mean?... tha's what i thought... i dunno i mite be way off....

using ur own given last name is all good.... i use both names in all my stuff like for school i use 'Heera Singh Kalsi'....

i personally don't got nothing against last names.... tha's all good.... sorry if i took it in the wrong way.. blush.gif

peeeps peeps calm down. what this topic was meant to be was NOT about SURNAMES.

what i meant by cast based usernames was like for example tharkan singh, or lord jatt or king chumar or something like that.

this has NOTHING to do with peeps using ther surnames. i got nothing against peeps using surnames, as it is ther family name.