The Gurus Pictures

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I printed many pictures of the Gurus and lines from the Guru Granth Sahib, and now I have some extras. Would it be ok to just throw the pictures and hymns from the Guru in the trash? I feel like I would be disrespecting becuase then they would just be laying their in the trash can.  Should I burn them?

108162[/snapback]

WJKK WJKF

Sorry if I sound offensive, but I dont believe that you Should have any pictures of any Gurus in the first place. We are Sikhs and strictly believe in GOD. Pictures are uneccessary in Sikhism as well as idols. GOD to us in Nirankar (formless).

I have seen time and time again in my life, uneducated Sikhs calling Gurus their GOD and saying that they have 10 GODS. What a shame, these statements start because of the lack of education that they recieve regarding Sikhism and the existance of pictures of our beloved Gurus which are not even authenticated. What a blasphery to our religion. There is ONE and only ONE GOD. Sorry for any offence, if any taken. I am just expressing my feelings.

WJKK WJKF

In my family we usually burn items like this such as wedding cards with gurbani on them and pictures of the gurus> we also do this to our hair as you should not throw your hair in the trash as kesh is seen as a container of power so therefore throwing something like this in the trash is really disrespectful so we burn it as we burn people when they die its just a form of respect. Thats why they do agan bhet to maharaj de saroop that are no longer readible or are torn etc.

I agree you should not get attached to pictures but personally wen i was a kid in punjabi school the only way i knew who each guru was and what each one accomplished was through books with their pictures in and therefore was able to learn through this that is how kids learn at a young age through pictures for example when teaching small toddlers their alphabet people cards with pictures on to represent each letter and through this process the child learns.Therefore i believe for young children it is important to be able to relate the stories they hear to a face. At that age i know many people who have been taught this way and do not worship pictures. You just goota keep it in moderation. My niece who is nearly three knows who the gurus are by looking at her picture book and knowing their names but she does not matha tek or worship them as she does not see her elders do that and therefore does not contemplate doing that.

CK singhani Bhenji

We should first know that Guru Granth sahib is our Guru. Pictures create an imaginative pattern and once you have seen them you take them to be true(if you were taught in childhood that this picture is of guru).We don't need a picture here. Our Bani should be picture.

The problem is psychological here.

We need the pattern of Guru granth sahib in us. We just look at the picture and say “Dhan baba nanak” this is naïve, we need to contemplate guru granth sahib and bani immediatly rather than immediately contemplating the image/picture of guru in our mind.

Do we ever get the picture/essence/love of a shabad in our mind we say the word "guru" or do we get the picture of "Physical guru created by artists"?

You see the point. We don't get the message.

That is why Sikhs kaum is not spiritually strong right now. We don’t even have a country. It is a psychologically breaking us from shabd.

Why do we need pictures to understand the history of Gurus? We can do it otherwise.

What your saying is very true but i was talking abouth the significance of having pictures for children as at such a small age when children are learning words, they cannot at taht age possibly laern the pattern of guru granth sahib. Of course as adults it is important to learn the meaning of gurbani but when i was posting i was talking about the importance that a picture can have to small children

I printed many pictures of the Gurus and lines from the Guru Granth Sahib, and now I have some extras. Would it be ok to just throw the pictures and hymns from the Guru in the trash? I feel like I would be disrespecting becuase then they would just be laying their in the trash can.  Should I burn them?

108162[/snapback]

WJKK WJKF!

To be honest.. throwing pictures out as u said is disrespectful.. soo you should burn them as u would of ur hair, gurmuki, worn out gutka etc. in respect

Bhul Chuck Maff!

WJKK WJKF!

i feel this is a very relaxed solution

You can throw out the pictures... no problems. As they are images... portrayals of our Gurus. Now, our focus should be opening your mind and broadening it so that we are able to see Guru Jee in ANYTHING... everywhere u look. In which case... dont throw anything at all away and just burn it.

However i think the best solution is this; if it gives u piece of mind, then burn it. But dont get carried away and understand you are doing for ure own piece of mind and it is not a ritual, nor is it required as a practicing Sikh. But i understand ure dilemma... beautiful images, purposely trying to portray our beloved Gurus in the trash can whilst u lie awake at night fretting about it thinking u have done wrong. N if thats a similar dilemma to which u face... do whatever you think is right as mentioned above.

Bhul chuk maaf...

Guest Faujan

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

This is a very complex situation whether you think of it that way or not. The short answer, just to prevent any beadbi, is as follows:

Burn them.

bhull chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!