I USED TO DRINK/CUT HAIR

anonymous111

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Two years ago, I used to cut my hair and drink alcohol. I always told my self that one day i will change my life around and take Amrit.

I always had Love for Sikhism, and would read books, and english translations of Gurbani, but i was not following what i read. I used to love listening to Katha at the Gurudwara, and would go almost every day, but i still drank and cut my hair.

One day during Katha, the Singh Sahib on stage was doing Katha about how Guru Gobind Singh Ji sacrificed everything he had for the Khalsa. He spent his whole life defending the Faith in constant wars. His parents, and all of his children sacrificed themselves for Sikhism. Many other Sikhs gave their lives for us...so we can keep our Sikhi. And after all that Guru Ji has done for us, to save us from the cycle of births and deaths, what do we do for Him? The answer for me was - absolutely nothing.

Guru Ji says, don't cut your hair, don't drink, but i do. Guru Ji says take Amrit and stay in Rehat...i don't. How can i even call my self a Sikh of the Guru? In my head while i was listening to the Katha i kept telling myself: "Don't worry, i'll take Amrit one day".

Right at the exact moment i was thinking this, the Singh Sahib Ji on stage said, "There are people out there who tell themselves that one day i will take Amrit"...This really got my attention. Then he continued, when people are young they tell themselves, "I will take Amrit and follow Sikhi later because now is the time to have fun". Then they get married and have kids, and tell themselves "I'll raise my kids first, put them through col

lege etc...and then will take Amrit." By then then times keeps going and they keep pushing it, and when they're really old they say, "Now i'm so old, now i will just take it in the after life".

What do you think, that Dharam Raj (Judge of Death), is going to be waiting for you with a Khanda, and Bhatta full of Amrit, saying..."Come my beloved, take Amrit". Some people in the Sangat laughed...but not me. And then Singh Sahib Ji said "DO TOMORROW'S TASKS TODAY, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW IF TOMORROW IS GOING TO COME".

This really blew me away. I decided to get into Sikhi more, but to tell you the truth: my other lifestyle still had it's grips on me. I would still drink and cut my hair..

One night, after coming home from a friend's birthday party...i said to myself, "After all i've read, and all i've heard, i still do these things. I sat on my bed, still a little bit intoxicated, and said, "Thats it! What am i doing!? Guru Ji has done so much for me, and here i am wasting my life away. There is an ocean of Happiness and Bliss out there, but i choose to drown in the the pit of maya.

I made a promise to myself, and to Guru Ji that night, that i will never drink or cut my hair again...and i will take Amrit as soon as possible. I started to wear a Dastar (turban), and told my friends of my decision. Maya will always try to bring you down, as i saw. My friends began to tell me "forget it man...we have so much fun...wait till your older". But my decision was made, and i told them not to call me again if they were going to be drinking. I told them if they wanted to play sports or something, then call me.

But what happened? I never see them anymore. Maybe once every couple of monthes. But i don't care, i don't need anyone...all i need is my Guru...because he is my only True Friend. I have met many Gursikhs in the past two years, who have really helped me out when it came to Sikhi.

I thank God, for saving me from that lifestyle...now two

years later, looking back...these last two years have been the best years of my life...i have met so many Chardi Kala Singhs/Singhnis...have learned Kirtan, Gatka, teach kids about Sikhi....etc....so to anyone out there who is "waiting until later"...let me tell you...NOW IS THE TIME...LIFE IS SO UNPREDICTABLE...SIKHISM IS UNBELIEVABLE!!! please don't wait any longer...Guru Ji is waiting for you with his arms wide open...don't turn your back to him any longer...after all he's done for you.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!