What Makes A 'sikh'?

SSM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

soz everyone for starting a new and perhaps totally irrelevant topic. Something I should put in my blog but I dont have one so I had to type this here cos I'm pretty cheesed off today.

I was wandering what is it that does make a sikh a sikh, I mean a 'good' sikh, someone we consider worth having in Sikhi for reasons other than the figures.

Well we got the obvious, Panj Kakkar.

I shakked amrit, went through a phase where I didnt take sikhi too seriously, then I was desperate to wear a keski, cover my head, and even through a time when I didnt want to marry- because there was a crazy thirst in me to just pray and well pray.

Then I was close to it, but I didnt wear a keski, to be honest now that I have taken sikhi seriously I dont think Im good enough to represent sikhi, my beautiful Guru Ji's beautiful Sikhi- I'm simply not good enough.

I've seen to many sikhs that dress like 'sikhs' but they are awful from within. I dont mean to sound rude cos no one's bad and I'm not good- but I cant cope when I see so many well dressed singhs and singhnees who have so much hankar or have kaam or krodh.

Then there is me - I'm not perfect and trust me my hankar is coming out here right now as I say this but I have been approached by way too many people for advice on sikhi and how to live a life like mine- ie. religious, content- thats all I was at the time when I wanted to wear my keski.

I admitted I didnt wear a keski, I could have said: Oh me, I wear a keski even in the shower, I'm great, I have a long kirpan, I know ghatka, I wake up at amritvela, I'ma great sikh so everyone look up to me. But no, I admit my faults, now is that a bad thing? I don't know. But the reason I am posting this, well I log on and my veer amarjit singh 1699 sends a PM asking me if I kept my keski and that Q was followed by LOL.gif x 15

So is this what sikhs are like, have we started to laugh at our brothers and sisters who admit their faults?

Even if someone didnt admit their faults do we still laugh at them.

Is this what sikhs are?

Then we have topics asking why sikhs are moving away to other stuff.

I don't know what I want to achieve with this post, I dontknow if this is the right section to put it in, I dont know if anyone will get this far lol but I'm sure amarjit singh will.

So to everyone, I'm not leaving sikhi but there are ppl out there who are sikhs but are weak in their sikhi, not because they wanted to but cos circumstances have meant they are not happy, they may not have much faith in sikhi anymore- then they receive one comment like that from amarjit singh, then another, then another and then if they leave sikhi we wander why.

Maybe its cos they think sikhi is what they see in the youth- so amarjit singh represents sikhi- laughing at others faults, weaknesses- is that my Guru Ji's sikhs?

Would that tempt a person to become a full practicing sikh?

what was this veer trying to achieve, maybe it is a weakness in us that leads us to laugh at or pick on anothers mistakes in order to convince ourselves that if they are doing badly then we must be doing well?

I just pray that my partner, my children, my close friends and family, whoever I know in the future does not become what some of the youth is today.

Waheguru Waheguru

this is very deep and pain full post and brings out so much truth we are facing in these days. Sikhi is not something that we can force it to any one. Sikhi comes from the heart and also from the blessings of Waehguru. Jadou jis tei kirpa drishti ho jawey no matter how far he's from sikhi or wht-so-ever he will surly become closer to guru sahib. I feel that company also affect us from being good to bad or bad to good. If we have a good company then we will also learn to do good things and if we spend lots of time in the bad ones then we are going no where except "dhendi kala". We do not have to be perfect we just have to try to walk on the path Guru sahib provided us and atleast try to become good sikhs and true human being. Coz thats what Guru sahib tells us, "Udham karo, karawo thakur" Aap vi udham karo and dujiya nu vi udham karwaan di koshish karwa.wo and leave rest to waheguru ji. He will take care of everything.

May waheguru bless u with naam di daat.

Khima jeeo

Barik.

Veerji, that is so true! But, try to see this ina different way.

If someone critisizes you, don't let it get you down (hard to do sometimes), but thank them for reminding you that you aren't Chardi Kala , and reminding you that you have many avguns within you. This will keep you on the Path :)

I am saddened by your post. Its the biting truth, just like the heat of fire bites at your skin.

I feel JUST like you! I know so amny "sikhs" who are just like that! But its good, in the sense that they trust me and therefore tell me about their kaami...deeds, and so it deters me off that path, making me more stronger in Sikhi.

SO parji, use the bad things, to learn from others mistakes. All is God's Play :TH: Hes showing you this for a REASON.

Hope you understand..

hug.gif

guys i didnt want to sadden anyone with my post.... soz....but yeh maybe i need to calm down, improve myself. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And thanks to all who do criticise me (no sarcasm here).... and after a day I think I have to say sorry to amarjit singh 1699 veerji for putting his name down: soz - thats one thing I should not have done but anyways I'm sorry bro........

:T:

:TH: ........

i dont really agree with sum comments that if sum1 criticizes its gud for u (k singh) who are they to crititiczse, spiritual journet begins by first pointing arrow at urself anfd neve seing bad in ne1, bani says so so who are we to argue

on another note , dont even get me strated about the way sum chardi kaal people are treated at sikhi camps and made to feel low, when they are amritdhari and shudnt be made to feel that way, let me just end b4 i begin...its too long and too hurtful which ive actually pushed away from my mind long ago and dont wish to relive the thought. but its really sad, amnd sumthing ive learnt from and become stronger becoz of it, it seems likw people are about its WHO u know in sikhi, bu no its how well you know URself - that'll be my motto for life, thanx BOSS Camp.

penji I can understamd your point but I think K_Singh meant although it is not for the one that criticises, it is perhaps to some extent good for the one criticised.

But to amarjit singh veerji, he has taught me alot, a few more PMs and he made some comments about some things that I should sort out, perhaps its how we say things that matter and not always what we say. Veerji thanks for the other advice that I wont mention here but it really mademe think so thanks for that.

sis im really sorry to hear that u have not had a great experience at camp cos of the who u know point. But yeah I think that although kaam, krodh, lob and moh can perhaps be hidden, hankar is so visible and shines in so many sikhs that it makes them look not so shiny after all lol.

I dont know what to say, maybe these guys with hankar are more pleasing to Guru Ji because at least they try to look chardi kala and they try to get into a lot of sewa.

Who knows?