Bhangra Is Vile

Khalsa_starr

Bhangra is vile

By the Kahlsanator

I'm sure a small portion of the community here on ss.net listens to bhangra. and many of us have heard the catchy tunes of this form of music. and the odd time have seen it live in action. But is bhangra clean? think again - many songs now include many unclean acts that directly conflict with the values of sikhi. Yet, many sikhs still listen to it. I think bhangra has turned into something ugly and has become vile.

However it wouldn't be fair just to state my opinion, I supplied a short little excerpt from Punjabi Online about bhangra...

What is bhangra? It's a traditional music and dance of the punjab region, it originated sometime in the 14th and 15th century. It was performed mainly by punjab farmers in the beginning however it soon showed up in local festivals. Bhangra has many sub-dances and has recently fused with other forms of music. But for today, I am talking about the popular bhangra music that is produced today.

NOTE TO ALL

Some ppl are not reading my post correctly. I am not talking about the smaller lesser know forms of bhangra dance. I am only talking about the populor bhangra vids and songs that are produced today.

Many well-known singers claim to be sikh and market to sikh youth - this is a very bad mix because as we all know, culture and religion are two separate things. And what's worse it that a good portion of these sikh bhrangra singers don't appear to be following the basic sikh values in the vid's and lyrics. Several things if noticed: they claim to be sikh, but they don't wear head covering. The wear the khanda symbol, but they drink and commit adultery. Some even glorify the gangster way of life and encourage aggressive behavior. This is not good, we may forget them today, however it all goes into our subconscious memory and stays. And id it's bad stuff, we may be influenced to act on it.

I used to listen to bhangra, however i got tired of it when i learned the lyrics and the fact that it is not a khalsa oriented. So i quit listening to it. Several ppl i know online also don't listen to bhrangra anymore because of it's increasingly suggestive lyrics and video's.

Now i wonder why other sikhs continue to listen to some the **** singers that are out today. Why do we tolerate these ppl in our midst?

I have made up my mind and acted upon it. Bhangra used to be clean, but has tuned into something that is very bad (at least most popular bhangra music).

I ask for all sikhs to stop listening to the so-call popular bhangra music.

Jazzy b, Surinder Shinda, Manak E - all around...

...bhangra sucks

-khalsa starr

i agree i heard this one song and all the lyrics were hogeaa sharabee menoo hor na pillaa wat is the point all he was singing was im drunk don give no more no bloody point to it and the sad thing is that many ppl think bhangra is a sikh thing but its not its a punjabi thing and the videos are worse women in mini skirts dancin around in dirty ways its sooooooooo GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hanjee I agree nowadays the Bhangra realy duz Suck ! I use 2 lisen 2 Bhangra 24/7 until I turned towards Sikhi. N I am so glad that Guru Ji opened my eyes :) be4 I had becum an addict....

I think nowadays the Bhangra singers or hueva they r really put sikhi down. They commit adultery (As my bro/sis Khalsa Starr sed so), majority ov the damn trax r 2 do wid galz, Sikh Caste dividers or drinking or smoking...etc... Pathetic !

However I dont mind the Dharmik songs, only if singers can continue with Dharmik Songs rather than all these dirty bhangra trax they cum up with.

Unfortunetly i used to be into jazzy B way to much and bought all his cds, had huge collection, and wel was his biggest fan....yuks at thoguht no.gif

when was prepearing to take amrit year before taking decided if i was to remain on the real path then all wrong hearings and watchings wud have to be stopped and so got rid of all bhangra, english etc, just kept a few meaningful english cds.

icud never go back it wud b like what the.....if i hear it sumwhere i jus swicth my ears off, cant stand aj kal lyrics, its jus disgusting.

Alpha etcpanjabi just takes the cake :) , full of vile videos and that after gurbaini too!!!

I think the other forms of bhangra (if they are not vile as well) can be listend to. However, if you really want meaningful music - listen to kirtan, you can't go wrong with that. why listen to garbage when you can listen to the beautiful lyrics of the kirtan?

when amritdhari, listening to popular bhangra may be a shot it the foot. It's is strongly recomended that you don't listen to it.

123058[/snapback]

We can't be so close minded. Traditional Bhangra is very beautiful and full of joy. It's true that these days that the image of bhangra is not pure but instead of saying "don't listen to bhangra" or its not the right thing to listen to or its evil we should just ignore it. We know what is good and what is bad so instead of saying all of bhangra is bad we should just ignore what we think is not right instead of degraded the Music culture altogether. I love old school bhangra. I don't think it should be mixed in with religion but it shouldnt be condemned either.

Peace

Traditional Bhangra is very beautiful and full of joy. It's true that these days that the image of bhangra is not pure but instead of saying "don't listen to bhangra" or its not the right thing to listen to or its evil we should just ignore it.

123060[/snapback]

If you closely read my thread, you would have noticed that i said "popular bhangra music that is produced today." This applies to the popular singers that come out of NA, Uk and Punjab. The other forms of bhangra, from what i have seen have remained intacted moslty. I'm not talking about old bhrangra and other forms of this style.

Tru say but u can't just blame bhangra.

Ok almost no every song that is classed panjabi bhangra is about girls/boys(gurdas maan sings about this).

There should be limits. I agree that some music should not be classed as bhangra an sikhi (metz n trix,e=mc) dirty lyrics but some would argue what are we meant to sing about.

Can't do bhangra about sikhi. Dancing to this would be disrespectful.

can't just sing about the fields the youth would no longer listen to panjabi.

Ok these people wanna sing about girls an alcohol they should first straigten out the type of video before the lyrics. Nowadays you can't watch an music video with your parents too much dirty gyals with nothin on.

but we are in the west times have changed. We can't tell others what to do but only ourselves follow the right path.

I guess the old conflict of sikh religion and punajbi culture comes up when ppl talk about this.

Can someone be sikh and punjabi at the same time?

Or can you only be one?

Ppl from other lands also have this problem of religion/culture.

They don't mix, but we can't escape it - it's all around us. How is one supposed to seperate the two. grin.gif