Lack Of Concetration During Nitnem/simran

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dear paji's & penjhi's

We all face the dilemma with the mind running around when doing paath - I think mine tends to a bit too much.

The funny thing is that it will think about those useless thoughts only at this time. Be it any other time of the day or when its engaged in something else it never thinks about them and is more relaxed. What really annoys me is sometimes as soon as I get up for Amirtvela it won't waste a second b4 it starts thinking or worrying about something (which may not even be soemthing to worry about but it does anyway).

So one thing I often try to do is that just before I begin my nitnem is tell God that these are the thoughts/worries that I know will distract me so please help me that these may not enter my mind during paath. And I find that this does help so much and I remain a lot more focused because I think to myself I have told all my worries to God and he will take care of them.

So even when my mind does try to stray I begin to see a barrier stopping it from doing so and automatically it stops. Not to say that the odd thought won't creep in (at which point I sometimes want to hit a club over my head before the Messenger of death does).

I hope this is useful

Ghustaaki Maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I just read the Se Kineya chapter about concentrating on Gurbani/Nitnem last night. Baba Harnaam Singh (the guy in my Avatar pic) was saying that to gain higher spiritual heights, and feel the Ras of Nitnem, Simran or Paath, one must listen to what they read/say as they do it. There is a lot of Mehima in Gurbani of listening to Gurbani, Simran, etc. So when the mind listens to the Gurbani, it helps it to concentrate and assists it become implanted on to the soul.

So whenever the mind starts wandering, or you feel that you are doing your Nitnem mechanically, listen to what you are reading. :)

Waheguroo

When I do paath, my mind used to wander consistently. I used to get frustrated at myself, and say things like “I am not worthy of this!” I would try again and again. Sometimes I would start reading the paath extremely loud to overcome my thoughts and to only hear the Nitnem. Once my mom came running into the room wondering what was going on, being that it was 4 am! After doing paath, I do Ardas and pray that next time these unwanted thoughts do not come into the mind. My dad always said that the mind tends to wander when we are trying to do good with it, but when we do dhuniyadari things, the mind always seems to concentrate. So true!

I agree that whenever your mind starts wandering, you should listen to what you are reading. But merely by listening to what you are reading does not make you fully concentrate. By understanding what you are reading and appreciating it is when you can fully obtain the rus of Gurbani.

mnu mrY Dwqu mir jwie]ibnu mn mUey kYsy hir pwie]

When the mind is conquered, its turbulent wanderings are stopped. Without conquering the mind, how can God be found?

min jIqY jgu jIqu]

If you conquer the mind, you conquer the material world.

Bhul Chuk Maaf