How Does Music Connect Us With Almighty?

WGJKKWGJKF

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Can anyone tell me why is music important in Sikhi?

And how does it connect us to the Almighty?

is it because music inspires the soul in someway such as music stays in our head for longer?

Im asking coz i forgot the reason which i found out ages ago.

And i can only vagouly rememeber the saakhi of Guru Nanak and Mardana in the woods when the fire happened, which i cant remeber properly, does anyone know the full saakhi?

Hope you lot can help.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

the whole universe moves to the cosmic dhuni...Music and Vibrations create a vibrant connection of your universal soul with the cosmic dhuni. Music is everywhere, in the wind, in the ruffling of the leaves, in the crying of a child, in the laughter of one. Can we hear it?

Music was born originally out of meditation, because in deep meditation one starts feeling the cosmic sound: 'omkar'—what the Zen people call 'the sound of one hand clapping'. It is not a produced sound. When two hands clap, it is a produced sound. When one hand creates the sound, without any clapping really—because there is nothing else to clap with—when the sound comes out of oneness, unity, unison,

then it is natural…the cosmic sound.

It is always there. When you become silent, you hear it. When you have too much noise in your head, you cannot hear it. Not that it is not there. It is always there, but you are not there. Your own noise, your own fussing mind, goes on creating such barriers that the still, small voice cannot be heard. Out of that original sound, music has been created.

In the East we say that all music is an effort to bring that cosmic sound to be. That's why there is spirituality in Indian music…a new sensitivity which is nowhere to be found. In the western music there is too much sexuality, it is too sensuous. In the Indian music there is too much spirituality—it is not sensuous at all. It silences you, calms you down, cools you, and brings a breeze from the eternal…the breath of the eternal. It is an effort to give you an indication of the cosmic sound.

It is just as when I am talking to you. My whole effort in talking is to bring you something that cannot be talked about…to say something that cannot be said…to bring to words something which is wordless…to define something which cannot be defined and is immeasurable. In the same way, music is an effort to say something about the cosmic sound.

The greatest master is one, listening to whom you naturally fall into meditation: that is the criterion of a real musician, a real master—otherwise people are technicians. One can play the sitar beautifully and you can enjoy it—it's good, an enjoyment.

But a person becomes a master when his created sound brings you something of the uncreated…when his created sound has a gospel in it…side by side comes the unknown…travelling with the sound comes the soundless. The sound you will forget, but the soundless will remain with you.

Music is born out of meditation, and so is dance. In fact all that is beautiful has come out of meditation because there is no other way for it to come. Meditation is the door.

Drown yourself in music—and don't practise it just like an art and a skill. Practise it like a meditation, practise it religiously. It is the holiest of holies.

Guest militant singh

Modern muzic such as Immortal productions albums connects the Youth of 2day with thier past ,religion, and Guru nuff Respect visit www.shaheedi.com has samples of immortal tunes

<<Music was born originally out of meditation, because in deep meditation one starts feeling the cosmic sound: 'omkar'—what the Zen people call 'the sound of one hand clapping'. It is not a produced sound. When two hands clap, it is a produced sound. When one hand creates the sound, without any clapping really—because there is nothing else to clap with—when the sound comes out of oneness, unity, unison,

then it is natural…the cosmic sound.

It is always there. When you become silent, you hear it. When you have too much noise in your head, you cannot hear it. Not that it is not there. It is always there, but you are not there. Your own noise, your own fussing mind, goes on creating such barriers that the still, small voice cannot be heard. Out of that original sound, music has been created.

In the East we say that all music is an effort to bring that cosmic sound to be. That's why there is spirituality in Indian music…a new sensitivity which is nowhere to be found. In the western music there is too much sexuality, it is too sensuous. In the Indian music there is too much spirituality—it is not sensuous at all. It silences you, calms you down, cools you, and brings a breeze from the eternal…the breath of the eternal. It is an effort to give you an indication of the cosmic sound.

It is just as when I am talking to you. My whole effort in talking is to bring you something that cannot be talked about…to say something that cannot be said…to bring to words something which is wordless…to define something which cannot be defined and is immeasurable. In the same way, music is an effort to say something about the cosmic sound.

The greatest master is one, listening to whom you naturally fall into meditation: that is the criterion of a real musician, a real master—otherwise people are technicians. One can play the sitar beautifully and you can enjoy it—it's good, an enjoyment.

But a person becomes a master when his created sound brings you something of the uncreated…when his created sound has a gospel in it…side by side comes the unknown…travelling with the sound comes the soundless. The sound you will forget, but the soundless will remain with you.

Music is born out of meditation, and so is dance. In fact all that is beautiful has come out of meditation because there is no other way for it to come. Meditation is the door.

Drown yourself in music—and don't practise it just like an art and a skill. Practise it like a meditation, practise it religiously. It is the holiest of holies.>>

Awesome stuff, WHO wrote this ? Please !

apparenlty raag has powers to do stuff..

my music teacher experience it himself..

the thing is.. raag music.. if done proerly.. can be powerful enough to light a candle n then blow it out.

this.. combined with gurbani.. imagine the power

its a shame people started using filmi tunes no.gif

PS: and guru granth sahib ji is written in raag.. so must be SUM signficance!

Sat Sri Akal:

Raagas can be thought of as scales. Essentially, Indians have been discovering and making scales for thousands of years, each which has been related to a certain mood, a time of day, a time of month/year. So Raagas are scales. In Sikhism, the Gurus wrote Gurbani to be sung in these Raagas.

My opinion: Raagas and music in general are like keys They open the cold heart immersed in this world that we think we live in and open the mind to the message of Gurbani and to contemplate on it. The relieve the human's worldly life behind and open their mind to that moment. It tunes the mind to the message being sung along the Raagas. Raagas can be sung alone, but their power is to put the mind in such a stage, to expose the raw soul to the message that is being transmitted along its tune.