Top Posters In This Topic

West Midland's Sikhi Week presents...

SOUL SIKHER

A powerful new comedy by the makers of Sikhs In The City

SATURDAY 5th NOV

ARENA THEATRE: WOLVERHAMPTOM

7.30pm onwards

Tickets: £6.50

Ring: 07740 823103 / 07974 647772 to purchase tickets...

Please take some time out to support a Singh who dedicates so much time to promoting Sikhi as well as enjoying a hilarious and thought-provoking evening...

See you there!!

I must admit I had looked forwarded for month's to seeing this show and last night at the Wolverhampton Arena. Even the the stupidity of a typical Indian woman bringing her talking 4 year old child to the performance could not spoil the show for me (thank god she took her brat outside after five minutes).

The story charts the life of one Paul and people (and even insects) that are connected to him. Intervoven is a very clever montage of video and music, some of which, depicting the sacrifices of Jalian Wala Bagh and the Guru's was very moving and left a lump in my throat.

The theme of the show is Kaam (Lust), Krodh (Anger/Stubborness)), Mohn (Materialism) , Lobh (Greeed) and Hankaar (Egotism), and how one young man succumbs to these and falls out of love with Sikhi. He cuts his hair, and goes into denial.

Despite these these and some quite acidic satires, it was quite amusing to me to see the young Sikh girl in our row who constantly sat there texting on her mobile, and the Indian chap in the toilets during the interval talking about his "new car innit" with the "Electric windows, electric mirrors and electric jakuzzi".

What Sodhi (the writer) has managed to do in write a show, that shows the faults of Punjabi people, yet unlike Gurpreet Bhatti (of Bezti infany), does not insult the Sikh faith. Afterall Sikhism was created to correct these defects in the Punjabi character (and humanity generally).

A for the performer Sodhi, he perform's many charachters in the show, and is the the sole performer. He does this brilliantly, and some of his portrayals (like the Sikh girls at the wedding), are acidic, and cut straight to the chase, to unearth some of the other "diseases" (apart from hayfever and the common cold)affecting young Sikhs today.

Be who you are, is the message and don't be in denial. Sodhi and the producers must be commended for bringing such a delight to the stage. This is a real gem, that all Sikh's and non-Sikh's MUST see.

Well done to Sodhi! I think a modern day Sikh fhero has been created today, in Sodhi!

Randip Singh

http://www.sody.co.uk/showreel.html

I think the 100plus crowd from West Midland's Sikh Societies who turned out to watch Sody perform would fully agree with the comments of Randip Singh. It was a great success and the play itself was funny, energetic and defiently thought-provoking for all.

THe charity cash wash was unfortunatly postponed due to the weather (torrential downpours washed away any efforts of cleaning on the sangats part!)

Weather permitting the charity car wash is scheduled for next Sunday: 13th November.

Please come along to partake in some seva and raise money for the worthy cause of the terrible south asia earthquake...

Today is the talk at UCE on Sikh Identity... A really topical and relevant discussion for today. Dr Gurnam Singh from the University of Coventry will be leading the event so please come along...

Thats:

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT?

University of Central England (UCE)

6pm

AO42 (Attwood building)