Captain Rejects Nuclear Power Plant In Punjab

kurtas

"He raises the point about nuclear power every now and then. He fails to see what happened at Chernobyl."

Bro i'm sorry but that logic is whack. There have been many disasters in this world but people learn from them, people don't abandon the concept because something went wrong. How many people get electrocuted in Punjab from those gosh darn electricity khambas(wooden posts) with exposed high voltage wires, does that mean we should get rid of electricity?

NASA had a couple of disasters going inot space but that didn't mean America killed its space program.

Chernobyl disaster happened in 1986. People have learned some things since then. That was 20 years ago. Plus the soviet regime hasn't always been doing very well with nuclear stuff, remember their nuclear subs which sank and needed to be rescued...

"There are now some 440 commercial nuclear power reactors operating in 31 countries, with over 364,000 MWe of total capacity.

They supply 16% of the world's electricity, as base-load power, and their efficiency is increasing.

56 countries operate a total of 284 research reactors reactors and a further 220 reactors power ships and submarines."

http://www.uic.com.au/nip07.htm

I think it is just an acceptance for the incompetence of indian policy and tactics. We have accepted that India is incompetent and we run after alternative policies which fit into India's competence levels.

Chernobyl is no reason not to have a nuclear power plant in Punjab, beause then one must ask why are other states considering it, why a different policy in Punjab again?

PS: India needs to stop getting tutored by Russia, we all know what happened to them(split of soviet union into many countries :lol: ).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>Bro i'm sorry but that logic is whack. There have been many disasters in this world but people learn from them, people don't abandon the concept because something went wrong. How many people get electrocuted in Punjab from those gosh darn electricity khambas(wooden posts) with exposed high voltage wires, does that mean we should get rid of electricity?

Thats the whole point they cannot run a safe electricity distribution system as it currently stands, so do you trust them to be able to run a nuclear power plant ? Over the last few years we have had dubious fertiliser being sold in Punjab that is directly linked to increased cancer rates, the sarkar does nothing to stop the sale of this illegal fertiliser. Do you think they would be bothered about problems at a nuclear power plant ?

Maybe you like the idea about nuclear power but I suggest you talk to people who are unfortunate to live close to such plants. They suffer from horrendous health problems. In the UK and many EU states they have state health services who will provide medicine. Who will give medicine in Punjab ?

ok let's compromise,

The reasons you stated make sense and i agree that if people's health is at stake then of course punjab should avoid a nuclear power plant. However the leadership in Punjab is talking about a disaster possibly occurring which makes it seem like they already know thye are too incompetent to function a nuclear power plant. I guess amrinder singh needs to explain himself better(i am basing this off the original news article which is not very detailed so maybe captain did explain himself better...). Too many times politicians in punjab treat the people like some ignorant buffoons and legislate poicies without informing the public how they came to their conclusions...

I have to admit though that from a punjabi standpoint, captain has done more in one year than the akalis in decades, or at least has tried to.

I'm happy captain refused the power plant.... it would have caused more trouble then help.... If you see what happens with BBMB.... most of electricity generated is siphoned off to other states...... what is gurantee it will not happen with the nuclear plant..... it would be disastrous..... while people of punjab will suffer or will be in danger of nuclear fallout, while other states get cheap electricity at the expanse of punjab....... why dont they put up a plant in haryana or rajhsthan and supply power to punjab...... also punjab is a border state with hostile country..... an attack on nuclear plant will spell doom for people in the vicnity......

The govt. should set up a nuclear plant in delhi and start sending delhi's share from BBMB to punjab, if they are really sincere about solving electricity problems....

Fateh