Bandi Chhor /diwali

Article taken from : http://singhangad.blogspot.com/

I dont know if this has been discussed.

What are we doing??Why are we doing so??

Bandhi-Chor or an Alibi?

Every year, with arrival of Diwali I am forced to ponder over the hypocrisy that has entrenched our Sikh society. Sure, I am afraid to reason on Diwali/Bandi-Chor Diwas and its importance within the four walls of the Gurudwara, as it would amount to playing with sentiments and lead us nowhere.

So for years I have started isolating myself more and more from this occasion. Unless of course there is great Keertan going on in the Gurudwara, I make it a point not to be present in any community celebrations on this day.

Am I taking it too far?

I don’t know. But I would surely appreciate if someone can help me understand why I should not take it too far!

Here are some thoughts on Diwali/Bandhi Chor Diwas.

Till date Historians have not reached a consensus on the period of Guru Hargobind Jis’ stay in the Fort of Gwalior. Historical texts indicate this period from as short as Forty days to as long as 12 years (Dabistan-I-Mazahi by Muhsin Fani). Some periods indicated in historical texts are 1617 – 19, 1609 – 1611, etc. Muhsin Fani is obviously wrong in stating the 12 year period because most of Gurus children were born during these years.

We know that Indian Calendar system is lunar based and therefore the no. of days in the Solar based calendar does not match with Indian system. If we are not sure about Guru Hargoind Jis period of stay and his discharge from the Gwalior Prison, then how can we mathematically calculate that Bandhi Chor Gurpurab falls every year on the Hindu festival day of Diwali?

If one may object to the above point, then let’s look at it the other way around. If we are sure that he was allowed to leave the prison on Diwali day, then historians should be able to work backwards and have a better understanding of the year of his release.

But till date our historical records are vague about the period he was imprisoned and the year of his discharge.

Some justify the use of heavy lighting at Darbar Sahib on Diwali by linking it with arrival of Guru Hargobind Ji to the city of Amritsar after having been released from Gwalior prison and having sought the release of Hindu nobles (and therefore Bandhi Chor) with his release. It is said that the residents of Amritsar lighted up their houses in happiness of his arrival.

So what are we trying to celebrate on this day?

Release of Bandhis from the Fort of Gwalior or the arrival of Guru Ji at Amritsar?

If Guru Ji arrived at Amritsar on Diwali day, then wouldn’t it be but obvious that a large section of Hindu population residing in Amritsar would have as it is lighted up their houses because of the festive occasion of Diwali?

If we are celebrating the release of Bandhis from the Fort of Gwalior on that day, then one wonders how would the message of release have reached Darbar Sahib the same day over a distance of 600 Kilometers for the Sangat there to have lighted up the lamps?

While Bandhi Chor may be perceived as an important event by many Sikhs and I don't want to take away the importance from this event, but keep an open mind and think why is it that we Sikhs light up the Darbar Sahib on Bandhi Chor Gurpurab only?

Aren't other Gurpurabs as much important?

Isn't Gur-Gaddi Diwas of Guru Granth Sahib important?

Wouldn’t the arrival of Guru Tegh Bahadur to the city of Amritsar warrant the same kind of happiness as at the time of arrival of Guru Hargobind Ji?

We don't light up Darbar Sahib in the same way on other important Gurupurabs, so why is it that we do it only on Diwali?

Well let's not cheat ourselves. The reality is that in-spite of having been Sikhs for centuries, we still don't want to give up our past baggage of Hindu festivals.

Every Year, come Diwali, Raagis in our Gurudwaras are heard singing the Shabad "Diwali Di Raat, Divey Baliyan". For the layman the singing of this Shabad of Bhai Gurdas, using an analogy line as the Asthai (Chorus) of the Shabad truly distorts the essence. Repeated singing of this Shabad on this occasion makes it appear that Diwali is a sanctioned festival in Sikhism. But a full reading of the Shabad conveys a totally different message.

Essence of the Shabad is that pleasures of festivities, pilgrimages, etc are momentary and only an understanding of Gurus Shabad leads to prime pleasure of the mind.

Bhai Gurdas Jis’ Vaar 19 Pauri 6

Diwali Di Raat Devey Baliyan

Tarey Jaat Sanat Ambar Bhaliyan

Phula Di Bagat Chun Chun Chaliyan

Tirath Jati Jat Nain Nihaliyan

Har Chandauri Jhat Vasaye Uchaliyan

Gurmukh Sukh Ful Daat Sabad Smaliyan

Lamps are lighted on the night of Diwali festival; stars of different variety appear in the sky; in the gardens the flowers are there which are selectively plucked; the pilgrims going to pilgrimage centers are also seen and the imaginary habitats have been seen coming into being and vanishing. All these are momentary, but the Gurmukhs with the help of Word nourish the gift of the pleasure fruit.

As most Sikhs originated from the Hindu mainstream, have we not found an Alibi (an excuse) in Bandi Chor for our inability to part with our past baggage of celebrating the Hindu festival of Diwali?

Amardeep Singh

I am not the Author of this article. However, I do know the author very well. The author does not intend to play down the importance of Bandhi Chore nor is he asking you to make a grumpy face and sit at home..He is just asking you to wonder why we celebrate in this manner.. Is this event more special than most Gurupurabs ?

Also I would like to point out the fact that Harminder Sahib and many other Gurudawaras were under the control of Hindu Mahants..from the time the Sikh Empire fell in 1849 to the early 1900’s( I am not too sure of the year) when the Sikhs won the right to take charge of their own shrines..During this time in harminder sahib around the parkikarma there were idols of hindu gods and goddesses..

Angad Singh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa,

Waheguru ji ki fateh.

But till date our historical records are vague about the period he was imprisoned and the year of his discharge.

End of day we are commemorating Guru Sahib freeing 52 Raje and being released from Gwalior Fort. Whether someone commemorates, remembers, and honours this day on Diwali day or in October or another date, end of day we are marking the Gurpurb.

Someone said that Raja Ranjit Singh is responsible for moving Gurpurb dates. He moved the Bandi Chhor Diwas to coincide with Diwali and so Sikhs have something to celebrate in Winter months, like Christians did with the Christmas (make it coincide with Pagan festival). Also He moved (according to this person at the Gurdwara) Guru Nanak Dev Ji's prakash utsav from 1st Vaisakh to Oct/Nov - again so that Sikhs have something to celebrate in the dark winter months.

Rab Jaane!

If we are celebrating the release of Bandhis from the Fort of Gwalior on that day, then one wonders how would the message of release have reached Darbar Sahib the same day over a distance of 600 Kilometers for the Sangat there to have lighted up the lamps?

A learned Gursikh told me that the people in Rajasthan (where Gwalior Fort is situated) honoured and greeted Guru Sahib with Diwas (lights). So it was the locals, not people in Amritsar. "Diwali Manaayee Sangtaa Ne" - meaning that the Rajasthan Sikh Sangat lit candles and lights to celebrate (saying "Diwali" can be used a general term rather than just "hindu festival").

Sri Darbaar Sahib at the time, apparently according to the Bhai Sahib, was controlled by Masands appointed by Prithi Chand (Guru Arjan Dev Ji's elder brother) who barred Guru Hargobind Sahib ji from entering Darbaar Sahib. SO why would they greet Guru Ji with lights.

(I never knew this blush.gif - does anyone have anymore info? please share.)

So what are we trying to celebrate on this day?

Historically public holidays/festivals have been used as a day to gather the Sikh Sangat together. The Khalsa was spread out in different places and people lived in small groups (jathas/misls). Days such as Diwali, Vaisakhi, Shaheedi purb of Chhote Sahibzaade, and Holla Mohalla would be used for Khalsa to get together from far and near and do Sarbat Khalsa and discuss matter affecting the Panth.

SO these days were "Jorr-Melas". Hence Bhai Mani Singh Ji was arrested on Diwali day for not paying tax, when Diwali Jorr-Mela was cancelled at Amritsar - after someone told the Sikhs that the Mughals planned to attack the Sikhs at Amritsar.

Again, Raja Ranjeet Singh, stopped the tradition of Sarbat Khalsa (the Sikh Panth gathering together and democratically sorting out Panthic issues). So, perhaps this is where we lose the other functions of Diwali and just go into the commemorating Bandi Chhor Diwas alone.

End of day, i don't have a problem with celebrating Bandi Chhor Diwas on Diwali - whether it is wrong or right day "historically" - end of day as long as we remember our history, join with gurmat, do sewa and simran - its all good.

blush.gif wot u think?