Bollywood

I think there two threats/influeneces we need to look out for.

1. The image/roles which are shown on the part of sikhs. We always shown in negative roles, fools boozers and robbers.When they show a Singh in a good role like army General there is a hidden agenda, they waht us to be patriotic to india.

2. The slapper image of the females this sends out message to young panjabi/sikh girls to dress like that also the vast male muslim actors that drull over the women.

you know, they also make sikhs look really stupid. whenever there is a taxi driver, it's usually a sardar...and one who acts like a complete fool...we're always the comedy relief...there's this movie that was going to come out called jo bole so nihaal with Sunny Deol as the main actor. I haven't seen it...but it supposedly is really deragatory and basically the entire movie is one big joke about Sikhs...lots of sikh communities in India spoke out against it, I don't know if they were able to stop production or not. Has anyone heard about this?

wjkk wjkf

-Bhani Kaur

you know, they also make sikhs look really stupid.  whenever there is a taxi driver, it's usually a sardar...and one who acts like a complete fool...we're always the comedy relief...there's this movie that was going to come out called jo bole so nihaal with Sunny Deol as the main actor.  I haven't seen it...but it supposedly is really deragatory and basically the entire movie is one big joke about Sikhs...lots of sikh communities in India spoke out against it, I don't know if they were able to stop production or not.  Has anyone heard about this?

wjkk wjkf

-Bhani Kaur

131832[/snapback]

Tool late already out.

What about films like Udham Singh i think that was ok, and the one about dehli 84.And Gurdass Manns 1 about Police Tourture, so why cant complain all the time

Since the mid 90's theres been alot of Panjabi songs in hindi films, and alot of misrepresenation of sikhs in films.

They do find the need to show extreme scences alot with muslim men drulling over non muslim women this is worring message they send out.

The question is not what they are doing... the question is WHAT WE ARE DOING? None of the so called sikh leadership or intelligentsia has come forward to protect sikh identity...... Even though the punjabi songs and culture are big hit throughout india, sikhs are still portrayed as clowns...... I guess this attitude comes from the inferiorty complex in hindus. Sikhs have had great history, when india was slave country..... and now they just want to show sikhs as silly to proove they are more macho......

I've lived in india for better part of my life.... and my experience is it is only handful of punjabi hindus who malign sikhs.... people in south(kerela, tamil nadu...) and east( bengal) respect sikhs a lot..... they percieve sikhs as defenders of the nation and sometimes a guy with turban there is treated as a royal..... Most of the media is controlled by punjabi hindus who moved to delhi and mumbai..... and they constitue the biggest power block in india.... south indians have also faced the brunt of depicting them as comical characters.... but i guess with changing political equations it has lessened..... we need our organisations and leaders to be more voiceferous, which is expected least owing to their track record...... we should make sure we give out the right vibes to community around us and rest will follow......

Fateh!