Patiala Court Convicts 6 Police Officers

Raju

Does this include KP Gill? Is there a report that we can read on this. when is the hearing for their sentancing?

its nice to hear someone is being held accountable finally. I think the khalara family and well the community needs this.

Please post any further information that you receive.

Thanks

Does this include KP Gill?

134267[/snapback]

I heard this news in a TV report and I heard KPS Gill's name being mentioned somewhere in there as well...

Link

Khalra case: Six policemen convicted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, November 18, 2005 (Patiala):

Six policemen were today convicted by a local court here for kidnapping and murdering human rights activist Jaswant Singh Khalra in 1995.

DSP Jagpal Singh and ASI Amarjit Singh were given life imprisonment by Additional Sessions Judge Bhupinder Singh.

Four other policemen Satnam Singh, Jasbir Singh, Surender Singh and Pritpal Singh were given seven years simple imprisonment.

The four were also fined Rs 5,000 each for destroying evidence, kidnapping and conspiracy.

Two other policemen Ajit Singh and Ashok Kumar, who were also among the eight accused, had died during the trial of the case.

The human rights activist was kidnapped in 1995 from Tarn Taran and his body was not recovered. (PTI)

what does simple punishment mean? and I dont understand why KP Gill is not mentioned in the convicted 6 when he had the biggest hand in this. neway for now, its good these guys are in. I know its silly to say this but I hope these guys have lost their badges, I mean technically they should, but it is the punjab police and you never know..... they might be working as cops again tomorrow....

The reason I am asking about KP Gill is from what I had read before on the case, it was he who was the one that actually murdered Mr. Khalara. the one who pulled the trigger you might say.

Im really interested in this case, so if you do hear anything else please keep posting it. Thank you soo much!

Bhul Chuk Maaf

The reason I am asking about KP Gill is from what I had read before on the case, it was he who was the one that actually murdered Mr. Khalara. the one who pulled the trigger you might say.

134274[/snapback]

This happened during the tenure of KPS Gill and as some people say he had a direct hand in this. Since the 6 have been convicted, I expect someone to file a fresh case against KPS Gill on that basis as well.

Frankly chances of him being convicted etc are remote, because he is this great Indian hero who had crushed terrorism from pakistan etc etc. But he will be made to run around in courts cases to remote parts of India in his old age if people file cases against him based on the conviction of the 6 policemen involved in Khalra's murder.

I beleive Mrs. Khalara has a case against him already right? what happened to that guy who was the ... well i believe he was on patrol at the time and saw KP Gill go into the room that Mr. Khalara was in and then heard a gun shot, saw him walk out and then the body of Mr. Khalara being pulled out? I mean with evidence like that, how can he still be out there.. unless they killed that guy aswell.

Sony je I am not familiar with the particulars of this case, I have heard u guys discussing it here so I felt relevant to post this news. Btw this case was investigated by CBI before being tried in a court so ofcourse all angles would have been investigated.

Typically though CBI will investigate all the angles to the case, portions that are politically inconvenient would be suppressed by the Govt of the day. So political will is very important to expedite such cases and this is where I guess Catain's role comes because he was determined to punish the guilty in this case and he had said so.

This report was filed earlier in the day by NDTV

Court to give judgement in Khalra case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NDTV Correspondent

Friday, November 18, 2005 (Patiala):

A Patiala court is expected to pronounce a final judgement in the ten-year-old Jaswant Singh Khalra case.

Jaswant Khalra was a human rights activist who was collecting evidence against the authorities at the height of terrorism in the 1980s, when he was allegedly killed by the police.

He claimed that the Punjab police picked up thousands of young men, killed and then cremated them, after which they recorded their names as terrorists killed in encounters.

After his death, his wife had moved the Supreme Court, which had ordered a CBI inquiry into the case.

KP GILL will never be tried in this Indian "democracy" He is reffered to as Super cop everywhere by indians.........the case is being wrapped up by convicting these 6 policemen.....so that KP Gill could be saved......u see "bali ka bakra"

Best is the convicted policemen come forward and say who 'really' ordered his murder

KPS Gill can be punished, but for that the hindus and their buddy Manmohan Sio will have to crush pakistan. Because in the eyes of most Indians terrorism in punjab originated from there, and there were these terrorist attacks against India recently basically orchestrated by pakistani army.

SO until the main enemy still lives, the Indian's wont give up one of their heroes who successfully defeated "cross-border terror", one has to see it in that perspective.