Sikh Boy Struggles For Identity

Sim Singh

sikh_boy_sturggles_for_identity_EDITED.bmpI was approached by the boy and his mother in the Gurudwara Sahib in Nottingham. the mother addressed her concern that her son was requested in class to remove his turban, due to him fiddling with it. however after careful discussion he explained that part of his dastaar came undone his (lar).

The teacher has aknowledge that a mistake was made and that he should not have addressed Danny in that way.

I have dicussed this matter with the Head principle and she has stated that the teacher was wrong to requested this and that she reealises the significance of the Dastaar.

i must state that the teacher was professional in every way and that im satisfied this matter will be resolved sensibly. The head has also invited the sikhs to do lectures, presentations and activities with the pupils to raise awareness and bring equality to all. I was very impressed.

Saad sangat ji, what do you think about this issue?

First off Simmy well done! d_oh.gif These issues happend suprisingly often its a shame after all these years our community hasn't raised enough awareness about the dastaar & kakaars. But its important to handle with sensitivity and care on all sides which you did well. If anyone knows of such incidents- put them in touch with United Sikhs. :TH:

Its a good achievment.

But shud have asked, does everychild who has nits in the class get told to take there scalp of? or remove their hair? Simply coz they hav an itch?

If you have an itchy back, would the teacher tell you take your clothes of? Or even if your cold and so tuck ur shirt in or hot so pull it out?

No!

so its the same for a dastar!! handeled good tho!!! teacher is just stupid.

Its a good achievment.

But shud have asked, does everychild who has nits in the class get told to take there scalp of? or remove their hair? Simply coz they hav an itch?

If you have an itchy back, would the teacher tell you take your clothes of? Or even if your cold and so tuck ur shirt in or hot so pull it out?

No!

138423[/snapback]

hmmm LOL erm its not the teachers fault.

its ours :lol: we are the stupid ones. we expect them 2 give us rights even tho we keep it our lil secret wen it comes to sikhi!

altho the teacher DID exceed the lower limits of common sense... like u sed.. itchy back = clothes off?

Agree with K Singh. Teacher is not stupid, just not educated enough.

We make up one of the biggest communities in this country, yet still we don't seem to be getting our points across. We tend to think we should leave it all to big organisations, when the topic starter has proved that if we all take a little initiative and think about educating, then we'll actually get somewhere.

I am sure the teacher, with Guru Kirpaa has been enlightened somewhat, and this is something that she can take on whilst continuing the rest of her teaching career, not doubt next time she had a Sikh student with a dastaar, she'll be informed enough to know what it means.

I disagree

Its not our faults as we are not the stupid ones. How much education can we provide to the people who should be educating us?

If the SCHOOL teach the CURRICULAM set by the government, then there should be no difficulties in the matter.

On my fist case of handling a Kara not being allowed to be worn as its was "jewelry", i asked the dep head, due you teach Religious Studies in schoo. To which he replied yes.

I suggested he speak to the RE teacher and maybe join the class to learn about faiths.

A teacher is meant to know about all walks of the community. Believe it or not, its actually a standard requirment. My mum used to work in a school, for FAIRNESS when doing her qualifications, in diagram drawn books, they would include, brown faces, for indians and kalay, a patkha kid for a sikh, and would represent white and chinese faiths to.

Now seriously, if there are getting all this teaching on the route to the profession, are you sure they arnt geting enough education?

I speak DAILY to my work colleagues telling them the importance of kesh and stuff and why wear a dastar, they agree. Couple of days later, ask the same question.

Iv given them links to sikhi websites and yet they still dont get the point half the time.

Education is there, it works the same way, do we educate ourselves in EVERYTHING of their community? Well yeh.. we do... coz we not stupid enough to unintentionally offend someone.

We can only use the Education excuse to an extent. Yes education, but what methods to you propose?

Goray dont see past turban and beard - which thanks to Islamic Extremists, ONLY represents MUSLIMS.

Good Luck trying to break through it.

If people woke up and just realised that there is a difference in the name, SIKH and MUSLIM, they would go VERY far.

Im all for educating people, but they really dont want to know. Sorry to put it like that, but its the truth. We keep educating how we are different to others, we live like this and stuff. All that means is, you confuse them.

IT ALSO MEANS that it just gives them one more reason to be more predijice towards you.

Like said, im all up for educating them, but its not the actual educated people u need to educate, its the ones who arnt, and its them who ones who will use it against u!

Remember this, the size of the brain a prejidice person has is the size of a peanut. Lets say it this way

" To a BNP person, ur a paki. U can tell him, "Im not a paki, im a sikh". Whats it gona do? CONFUSE him. Whats he gona do? Do you more for confusing him".

Be careful as to what information you give them.

I know ALOT of people who grown their hair, wear a kara, and a dastar now, JUST so they dnt hav to wear a helmet when they ride their bikes!! These are Goray! have no respect for Roop of Guru Ji, just dnt wona wear a helmet and have used what sikhs have won the right to, for their benifit.

WJKK WJKF

Its a good achievment.

No!

138423[/snapback]

hmmm LOL erm its not the teachers fault.

its ours :lol: we are the stupid ones. we expect them 2 give us rights even tho we keep it our lil secret wen it comes to sikhi!

altho the teacher DID exceed the lower limits of common sense... like u sed.. itchy back = clothes off?

138427[/snapback]