Punjab Opposes Nuclear Plant In Its Territory

Raju

Punjab opposes nuke plant in its territory

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:49:12 pmPTI

PATIALA: Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Tuesday opposed setting up of a nuclear power plant in the state citing security concerns in a densely-populated state arising out of possible leakage or accidental nuclear disaster.

"I have often mentioned at different forums that it was not at all viable for Punjab being a densely populated state," he told a press conference.

"If some leakage occurs or accident takes place in the proposed nuke plant in Punjab that is just spread over 200 miles, it will be devastation beyond anybody’s imagination within a blink of eye," Singh said.

He, however, said the state government was ready to go for partnership in the nuclear plant provided it was set up in some desert, an apparent reference to Rajasthan, where it was comparatively less hazardous.

Link

• 2 weeks later...

ok...there is now concrete information that US is going to set up apprx 6 nuclear power plants in North India and thus the recent discussion over setting up one in Punjab. This is the golden opportunity for people to use their leverage within Punjab Govt to set up a power plant in Punjab and solve its power issues.

Go ask people who live close to Sellafield about the problems they have.

This is a stupid idea especially for Punjab. It makes our claims on the hyro electic plants even weaker. If other states want nuclear power then let them have it. The Punjab State (like other indian states) has problems running sugar mills and looking after paddy in its warehouses. Do you think the Indian state is capable of looking after lots of nuclear plants ?

Well, practically speaking it is not necessary for a power plant to be physically located in Punjab for it to derive electricity. All PP's are connected by the grid and Punjab can be allotted a certain share like it currently gets its share from Orissa (1000MW) Chattisgarh, Himachal (400MW??) etc but it would have been better if it was physically located in Punjab because then it could have had a better leverage. The state that hosts the PP on its territory gets maximum share.

If Punjab does not go for NPP's then it means that it would have to depend upon the iffy IPI pipeline for its growing energy needs.

Thats a terrible idea - put a nuclear plant right next to Pakistan - and in a fertile land like Punjab - so now we want to put a potential catastrophic power plant there? The land around Chernobyl will be radioactive for thousands of years. Put the power plant somewhere else in India that isnt so densely populated.

I am very scared about this . there must be some where else in India which is les populated…..

I’m scared because it ‘s the home land of the Sikhs, if any thing (god for bid) should happen.

Where will the population of Punjab be sent to??????????????????????????

Scattered all over the place?

I would not wish it.

this will be a very serious position we will be under.....

dare i say 84.

In France 70% of power comes from Nuclear route, how many problems do you come across ?? The Indian nuclear scientists and community are very capable group, because even in majority of American nuclear research labs and facilities and NASA is manned by people of Indian origin. I have full confidence in their capabilities.

Moreover there are 2 extra nuclear power plants proposed in Tamil Nadu near kanyakumari (sea shore and near to densely populated Kerala) which already have installed capacity of 2000 MW. The French are most likely to set up 2 Nuclear Power Plants in Andhra Pradesh and the Russians will set up one more in Karnataka. Don't you think all those people are concerned about safety ??