Financial Aid For College/uni In Canada ?

Simran9

I need to know if the Canadian government provides financial aid for needy/poor people in Canada who want to go to college or university? In USA we have the FAFSA application...does Canada have something like that? Please give me a link to it online so I can look it up.

thanks in advance...I really need to know!

individual highschools, organizations, and indeed government organizations and governments have bursaries and loans that financially underpriveged students can apply for. usually priority is given to canadian citizens befor international students.

OSAP is a source as well, but as mentioned, it's ontario only. OSAP provides funds for ontario students (in fact, for professional programs, they iwll fund ontario students who might be doing med school in, for example, the caribbean), who can prove that they are not financially viable to fund their own education. the loan must be paid back, because, well uhh..it'sa loan.

Interest on the loan doesn't accumulate on the loan till 6 months after graduation. so as long as you're in school, interest doesn't accumulate on the loan. Interest can prove to be a killer too, because it ranges so heavily. I am aware of people who have had to tkae loans at 18%, but i'm also aware of some who've taken loans at 4%.

It's simply a matter of timing, usually.

I haven't done any extensive research, but there's plenty of links out there.... a place to start for scholarships in general is somthing like

www.studentawards.com.. once registered, you select your school, and your major and what not, and it narrows down a list of scholarships offered by private companies and organizations. It also includes bursaries, which i mentioned above, is usually only for students who are in financial need

bursaries do not need to be paid back.

www.scholarshipscanada.com is also a similar site that has the same type of info. sometimes the information is the same on both sites, but i've found that the second website helped me alot more in seraching for finances for university. again...lots of links to scholarships and bursaries..

after registering and finding what you're lookin for, almost every scholarship and bursary has a link to the organization that is providing it. you can then do searches regarding each specific organization.

in other words...yeah, there's a pretty decent supply of financial aid for the financially underprivleged stuednt.

LOL, I'm a pharmacist i'm a pharmacist!!!

OK, so I did my degree in Manchester, UK...

As far as the UK goes, its a good degree to have...very broad and you learn a lot of varied skills...money is good too! Mind you, I've just finished my PhD and am moving away from Pharmacy and going towards pharmacokinetics/in-vivo absorption models.

It depends what type of person you are. Pharmacy is very good for the money...but if thats all you want you'll find the mundane task of working in a communit pharmacy VERY BORING.

If you work in a hospital setting, its much more interesting, but less money.

Hope you get into pharmacy school, its a good mix of sciences!!

Hello.....

You are planning to go to pharmacy school in Canada or a foreign country. Make sure you find out with your local state board of pharmacy. Each state is really different with licensure. When you come back here to the USA. You have to complete the national board exam which is the NAPLEX. The state i live in (i.e. California) , you have to work i think 1200 hours as Pharmacy Intern inorder to take the exam.

Try applying the USA, it would make things easier for you. Theres a new school in Hawaii which i heard is easy to get in or theres one opeing in california Tuoro Pharmacy school brand new...i had a friend who got in with a 2.5 gpa.

I would also verify this information with your loca state board....Im a med student. I worked for a pharmacy for a while. Thats how i know this stuff. Hopefully this information helps you out..I wish you all the best. Good Luck to you.