Shiri Guru Granth Sahib: Sacred Or Not?

Guest _Deep_

Hello everyone,

I just came across this site and thought it was great! I beleive strongly that it is good to have such sites at our disposal, so that we can strengthen our personal faith.

but I do have question that have been plagueing my mind for a very long time:

WHY (for given reasons) is the 'guru granth sahib' to be treated as a human and even named after a living entity (guru). An explanation as plain as; "we do it out of sheer respect", is what I have been receiving from many, but I find this answer inadequate and wrong (why: because similiar scriptures such as the bible and quran are treated with respect and given the label of sacred but not to the extent in which our granth sahib is). Why do Sikhs (including myself) go the 'extra mile' (sorry for the shanty terminology) to respect our holiest of scriptures?

Every Sikh will state (inclding myslef) that the Granth Sahib is more than just ink, paper and glue arranged in a particular pattern.

-->The defintion of guru: It comes out to mean "instructor". Without any doubt we can ensure that the granth can retain this title as it instructs us on how to develop our moraility which then inturn helps us live our life.

But If Guru is just "message" then we should be saying stuff like shiri guru bible ji, shiri guru veda ji, shiri guru quran ji as well because undoutdely they too contain divine messages in morality as well.

Well if you think this subject is intirinsic, I agree with you. At the same time I beleive it is important to explain to others as to why our rituals are centered, so strongly, in not trying to offend the granth sahib, which in the eyes of a foreigner is just another text.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH !!!

I THINK GURU GOBIND SINGH JEE TOLD US TO THINK OF GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE MAHARAJ AS OUR LIVING GURU AND GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE IS INFACT LIVING - THE 10 JOHTS ALL IN ONE.......THE JOHTS ARE THERE ! INSIDE THATS WHAT MAKES GURU JEE LIVING..........

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH !!!!!!!!!!!

How is Guru Granth Sahib Ji named after a person?

What type of questions are we getting. Weird stuff. Someone is asking if Guru Mahraaj existed in 10 saroops and now this one.

Weird people weird!

Oh well, most likely a nieve learner. It is our responsibility to educate.

Guru Granth Sahib Ji is Shabad Guru.

Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our Guru, our teacher.

Would you ofend you teacher?

Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our everything, you can say!

Without Guru Granth Sahib Ji, we are not even Sikhs so how can we disrespect Guru Ji?

Therefore, we respect Guru Granth Sahib Ji as much as we can and do our best to not offend Guru Ji.

what he said - Guru Granth Sahib Ji was given Gur Gaddi by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Other faiths' scriptures were not even written by the actual messengers, let alone given stature of Guru.

Sant Baba Nand Singh Ji said that Guru Granth Sahib is a concious, living image of Guru Nanak Dev ji. The Bani is the Guru, the Guru is the Bani, just coz all we see is a book doesnt mean thats what Guru Granth Sahib Ji is, Guru Sahib is the manifest form of the Satguru.

Thanks for trying to comapre Sikhi with otehr religions.

Bottom line is, Sikhi is lyk no other! No otehr religion is based on simplicity and the way it focuses on naam (bible mentions yahweh as the name.. quran as allah etc) yet theese religions failed to spred thsi name suficiently. I respect muslims/christians and dat, im not saiyng they wrong.. im saying Sikhi managed to do something that otehr ones TRIED.

Sikhi is literally a way of life, to becuma perfect human being.. to becuma KHALSA.

We respect the SHABAD GURU, NOT THE INK AND PAPER.

Btw, all the scriptures in islam/hinduism/christianty etc are written from otehr people.. But Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is guru Ji;s OWN accounts. With Their OWN writting. Own Words.

How can u comapre them?!

• 1 year later...

tongue.gif :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile:

Thanks for trying to comapre Sikhi with otehr religions.

Bottom line is, Sikhi is lyk no other! No otehr religion is based on simplicity and the way it focuses on naam (bible mentions yahweh as the name.. quran as allah etc) yet theese religions failed to spred thsi name suficiently. I respect muslims/christians and dat, im not saiyng they wrong.. im saying Sikhi managed to do something that otehr ones TRIED.

Sikhi is literally a way of life, to becuma perfect human being.. to becuma KHALSA.

We respect the SHABAD GURU, NOT THE INK AND PAPER.

Btw, all the scriptures in islam/hinduism/christianty etc are written from otehr people.. But Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is guru Ji;s OWN accounts. With Their OWN writting. Own Words.

How can u comapre them?!

Guys,

The answer to this is summed up in one of Guru Ji's own verses

Bani guru guru hai bani

vich bani amrit sare

bani kahai sewak jan mane

partakh guru nistare

Meaning that the bani is guru and the guru is bani. All the amrit is in the bani.

IF and only IF the sewak, that is the sikh, is prepared to listen to the bani and believe in whatever the bani says THEN THE GURU IS THERE INFRONT OF YOU.

You have to copare to appreciate and put thigs into perspective.

The bible was written long after christ passed away so was the quoran and other holy scriptures. Whereas the GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI was dictated by the gurus themselves. So it is the word from the GURU's own mouth and hence the embodiment of the ten gurus.

A Sikh

• 5 months later...
Guest _Gurdev Singh_

WHY (for given reasons) is the 'guru granth sahib' to be treated as a human and even named after a living entity (guru).

Good question.

I suppose the Bible, Quran, Vedas etc. were something perceived rather than the words of the actual founders as Guru Granth Sahib Ji is. I'm not saying the the messages within the Bible, Quran, Vedas etc. are any less valid, but to Sikhs, Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a living entity. Not the pages themselves; that would be silly as I'm sure you know. But the actual verse as the state it is exists in one's mind (rather than what one, as an invidual experiences it as) is the living entity.

It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say. Think of the Guru Granth Sahib as a paper incarnation of the Jyot; a description or a representation as it were. Don't think of the Guru as a "holy book" as do Christians, Muslims and Hindus think of the Bible, Quran and Vedas. Not that these three are unimportant or false, it is just that the Granth means something different to us other than a "holy book". I think this is why, to us, it is "Guru Granth Sahib Ji" and to Christians it is "the Bible" etc.

I hope this was helpful to you (although I'm not if it made sense)..

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Gurdev Singh