Hinduism

Guest grandcannon

Guest grandcannon

Hello, sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I have been reading the SGGS, from begginning to end, and have found it very interesting and helpful. However, While I've been reading, I noticed parts whre it said that "The guru is Shiva, The Guru is Brahmin." I read a book that said that sikhism was just a "sect of hinduism." I know this is not true, but this verse is kind of disturbing. This verse sounds like baghatism, which I know is not sikhism. Please give me some insight.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I dont have much knowledge on Sikhi (as im 16) but this is how i thought of this:

When saying Guru is Shiva etc i think it might mean as in the sense of knowledge.

I mean all the Hindu God's and Godesses all the knowledge that they gave, Guru himself can give all this knowlege to us, therefore not really needing all the knowlege given by the Hindu God's and Godesses.

I.e. you dont need all these God's and Godesses to dsipel the darkness and give light to find God.

Because the Guru's themselfs can give knowledge to us about God, and dispel the darkness.

Sorry, i know i cant explain properly but i hope i helped.

And i hope someone does reply with real knowlege above these verses.

Infact a better way to put it is,

you dont need to worship all these Gods and Godesses i.e. Shiva, Brahman etc to realise God, and to know God

becuase the Guru can make you realise God, and know God, through Dhur Ki Bhani, written by God's messengers themselfs

Hello, sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I have been reading the SGGS, from begginning to end, and haven't foudnit very interesting and helpful. However, While I've been reading, I noticed parts whre it said that "The guru is Shiva, The Guru is Brahmin." I read a book that said that sikhism was just a "sect of hinduism." I know this is not true, but this verse is kind of disturbing. This verse sounds like baghatism, which I know is not sikhism. Please give me some insight.

147458[/snapback]

so you read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, what do u mean you didnt find them interesting and helpful?

what were you looking to find that you did nt?

as for translations, yeh justto let u know the meanings are often deeply beautiful- beautifuly deep so hopefully ppl can help u out on that.

grandcannon,

it's good to know that there are people who are taking out time to read Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I haven't read Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji myself yet, so that was inspiring to read.

however, to find something intersting you have to understand it. you can't expect to understand the bani in just one read. Gurbani is very deep. you have to sometimes read beyond the lines and things don't always seem to be what they are.

next time, read the meaning of each line (in punjabi or english) because when you understand something, it's way more intersting. blush.gif

to find Gurbani helpful, it all depends on what you need help on. Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the only resource for Sikhs. the answers are all there. if you didn't find the answers, maybe you should ask someone that has studied Gurbani like a granthi or a katha vachik. i'm sure that will help you.

also, there are MANY resources out there were you can learn about how Sikhism came about - books, courses, internet, sakhi's, history. it definetly isn't a "sect", although hinduism and islam were, in there own way, a reason why Sikhism was born.

-Naam Jaap

Guest grandcannon

Ok, I'm not all that familiar with the organization of the SGGS, but its on page two, and I think its jaapju 2-9, I think. It reads:

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

This is the verse I am referring to. It would be nice to get a verse by verse commentary in english if there is one. I do not have access to any sikhs or Gurdwaras.

Grandcannon

Ok, I'm not all that familiar with the organization of the SGGS, but its on page two, and I think its jaapju 2-9, I think. It reads:

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

This is the verse I am referring to. It would be nice to get a verse by verse commentary in english if there is one. I do not have access to any sikhs or Gurdwaras.

Grandcannon

147769[/snapback]

The Guru is not limited instead it is our thinking of who and what the Guru is that is limited. The Guru spoken above is pointing towards God. God is Shiva the Destroyer, God is Vishnu the Sustainer, God is Brahma the Creator. God is Paarvati the Mother. I don't see the word Lakshmi in that sentence.

The link below goes into a bit of detail and is more oriented towards a universal mindest. It compares the translations done by Dr. Santoak Singh and the write of the article who insists that the paarvati maa mentioned is the Adi Shakti. Although i find the writer to be somewhat forceful in his persuasion, but it does give a good comparison to decide for yourself.

http://www.adishakti.org/meeting_his_messe...uru_nanak_1.htm

If you consider that God is everything, then he is all that which is created.