Khalsa - What Does It Mean?

Lion(LK)King

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

While searching "nijjhar" (which brough several usernames of one and the same user), I bounced on some interesting threads.

One of them is about the definition of Khalsa.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Let us remind ourselves that preferred meaning of 'Khalsa' is 'property', of God, as in "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa" rather than "The pure ones." 'Khalsa' means "A piece of property reserved for the highest king."

Collectively calling Guru's Sikhs "the pure ones" does not agree with Guru's teaching either. Guru Ji says, "Kabir I am the worst of all. Everyone else is good. My only friend is he who believes in this" (SGGS 1364 16-17), "I am not good and no one is bad" (SGGS 728:14), "Nanak is where the lowest of the lowly reside, why try to imitate the high? God's grace and mercy is distributed where the lowly ones reside." (SGGS 15:8-9)

Guru's vision is that Khalsa Panth, good or bad, is, humbly, Waheguru's own. "If I made some mistakes, I am still yours, O Lord" (SGGS 761:7). Only with this attitude, can one belong to the Khalsa Panth.

As for the Dohra, please also check my post and S Sahota's post in this thread from last year:

http://www.sikhnet.com/Sikhnet/discussion....CA?OpenDocument

Humbly

Yuktanand Singh

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

This word is used in three different forms in Punjab:

1. Khalas = Pure, uncontaminated.

2. Khalaas (pronounced like in British 'class') = Liberated, free.

3. Khalsa = Land that is free from ownership of everyone except the emperor.

Your contention, based on the first meaning, is absolutely correct. I agree that <Ka> means <belongs to> and it would also mean that Khalsa is property of Waheguru. However, I was discussing the preferred meaning. Sorry that I did not elaborate, I did not mean that it was the only meaning.

All this does not change the fact that the word <Khalsa> denotes a special kind of property. Most Sikhs are ignorant of this and they associate <Khalsa> with the most commonly known meaning, i.e. pure. But the word for pure is <Khalas> not <Khalsa>. We simply need to learn.

I do not feel like writing too much today. You already know what I mean. I was trying to say that the notion that Khalsa, a property that belongs only to Waheguru seems to match more with Gurbani and the stance a Khalsa holds, than the notion that "Khlasa is pure." Purity naturally follows, but never precede this essential act, of belonging, to the Guru. Consequently, only when the perfect light shines one can be known as pure (Khalas), otherwise one is impure living with a false sense of purity.

Perhaps it is just a personal preference that I felt like sharing with the Sangat. In fact, another verse, popularly quoted by the Sikhs (?) to show a fighting spirit, "Come to my door with your head on a platter" (SGGS 1412:3) has nothing to do with any fight at all. It simply says, "You must belong to me. First give your head to me, only then you can share the secrets of my heart."

Please continue to correct my mistakes. This is the only way to learn.

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

This seems to make total sense as saying the Khalsa are the pure ones - wouldn't that be doing the same as other religions - i.e. being the choosen ones. Guru Sahib has taught us to live wit humility, and not call ourself pure ones. Prior to reading this post I too, thought that the sole meaning of Khalsa means "Pure ones".

Just thought it was interesting and should share it with Sadh Sangat jee. :nihungsmile:

Bhull Chukk maaf