Learning Punjabi

Ishna

Howdy,

In your opinion, how important is it for a westerner interested in Sikhi to learn the Punjabi language?

Is a book on Colloquial Punjabi going to be useful?

Also, is bani spoken in English any less effective or meaningful than the original, do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Ishna.

Initially, no it is not a necessity, but as your curiousity or your desire to know more grows, there will be or rather should be a natural want to learn punjabi/gurmukhi.

Translations do not always do justice to the original text...althought they may come close, but it is never the same. The original text as it is written will always be unique and the effect of that text cannot be always reproduced in the same light, intention and feeling. That is not to say it is not effective....what is effective is your Bhaavna, Shardha, intentions that bridges the language Gap. You can read in English and if the Vairrag is present, then the language is of no matter because the message has been recieved. Love will always transcends barries of Race, Language,........

If someone is ready to make a commitment to Sikhi, then learning Gurmukhi is essential.

The translations availabe today are unfortunately not that great. I have stopped using the translated versions to accompany shabads whenever I'm posting. I usually just post the original and if necessary write a separate explanation.

Translated versions have errors in interpretation and also in approach. I will put my own personal bias and frame of reference into the translation I do. That's pretty much inevitable. Translations also do not let you connect on a deeper level with the bani. They can give you a window into what is going on, but to fully immerse yourself, I feel the original is needed.

Finally many Gursikhs have said, and I too believe that Bani is not only a message it is also a mantar. That is, the words create a vibration. The translation cannot reproduce this effect.

So although it may seem daunting, I would highly reccomend you start to learn Gurmukhi. I know of one Singh who taught himself how to read Gurmukhi in 2 months without any help outside of a book called "Punjabi Reader 1". He used to copy out the alphabet and memorized the characters and he used to also repeat it orally. Given his family were Punjabi but I also know of many examples of westerners learning fairly quickly.

If you have the motivation, and begin, I'm also certain Guru Sahib will help the process along. After all, the only reason you're learning this is to connect with him and his words better.

Gurmukhi for person who is born in sikh family is must however for outsider. Not really. Fact you got sri guru granth sahib ji in hindi steeks - translations of such hindi steeks are quite similiar to gurmukhi one because nirmale scholars have managed to translate adhyatamic gurbani into urdu and as well hindi (eg- faridkoti teeka hindi version classic example).

OKay, see, there's the thing right there:

I said Punjabi, not Gurmukhi.

My understanding: Punjabi is the oral language, the vocabulary, and Gurmukhi is the written form. I'm already learning the Gurmukhi alphabet, and I can say words, but I don't know what they all mean, and I couldn't string up a sentence independently.

Or am I getting really confused?

No confusion.

Punjabi is the spoken language.

If you're learning Gurmukhi then Punjabi is automatically something that you'll be picking up (I think...). Along with learning how to read words, I expect you'll be learning what the words mean.

Would you be expected to converse fluently in Punjabi as a religious requirement? I'd expect not. Though it would be a good thing. I think as long as you can make sense of the bani it's fine. Punjabi and the language in Guru Granth Sahib do share many many words in common so that's why I expect you'd be learning Punjabi as well.

So my advice is to learn Punjabi as well since that'll help your understanding of bani and vice versa. That book on colloquial sayings might not be a bad idea.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa. Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I think its important to learn Gurmukhi/Punjabi cause otherwise you won't be able to read Guruji the way you should instead you will have to depend on others or transliteratures off the net which are not very accurate but it also depends on the surrounding you are in cause everyone around me knows how to read Gurmukhi so they have inpired me to learn as well.

Please forgive me if i said anything offensive or something that you didn't like pray.gif

First off, let me tel you that learning punjabi is not essential, it's recommended - but not requirement.

Punabi, english, french... whatever language, it's just a communication style, and has nothing to do with the actuall religion, we don't worship gurmakhi/punjabi.

So whatever language you have learned, keep it and have an open mind.

The guru shows the path to all people and languages.

Punjabi is ver important as there is a lot of brahmanee mut parchaar by some jathas. A person not knowing punjabi is easily fooled. Also the taste of Gurbani comes truly from reading it in Punjabi as there is flow to it. Gurbani translations are good to know the meanings of the Shabads. Both are equally important. So I say learn Punjabi. As for teekas done by nirmalas, never rely on it.

Nirmalas are influenced by hindu mutt.