Afghan pilot's salute to Darbar Sahib

S1ngh

"It was June 28th, 1981. At 7 o'clock in the morning, Afghan Airways(from Afghanistan) carrier took-off its flight from Raja Sansi airport in Amritsar and headed towards the city. It had not gone up very high in the air when it started flying around the Golden Temple(Holy Harmandir Sahib) complex with one wing lower than the other. I was sitting besides the window and got my first chance to see the beauty of Darbar Sahib from a height. It was a really superb sight down below and appeared to be like a heaven has been decorated. Later, after reaching full height and heading towards its destination, breakfast was being served.

When the air hostess came to me to serve the breakfast, I requested her to convey my thanks to the flight Captain for showing us a beautiful glimpse of the Darbar Sahib. In reply she told me that this Afghani Captain has a great reverent devotion for the Golden Temple. Whenever our flight team under the captaincy of this pilot comes to Amritsar, then under any circumstance, we do go to visit Darbar Sahib in the night time like sincere devotees and pray to the wonderful Lord for our welfare.

In the morning when the plane takes off, the Captain flies around the Golden Temple complex as a mark of respect. During this period, he keeps the plane tilted in salute and conveys his, crew's and passengers' respect to the Golden Temple. By doing this he and all of us are delighted and his action keeps a feeling of sacredness in our hearts for the rest of the day. We always look forward to this flight."

Thought:

"ustat baran(i) na sakiye sad sad kurbana"

(His praises can't be described. I sacrifice on H

im hundred times.)

• 3 weeks later...