Change In Maryada?!?!?

The amendment in the Sikh 60-year-old Rehat Maryada by the SGPC has evoked a strong reaction from Sikh intellectuals.

Why change it?

The original Rehat Maryada clearly mentions that no Sikh could remarry when his wife was alive. However, the amended Maryada has added the word ‘generally’ that reads, “Generally, no Sikh should marry a second wife if the first wife is alive.”

This is to allow bigamy/polygamy. Which is WRONG!!!

...the original Maryada gives the definition of a Sikh as “Any human being who believes in all Sikh Gurus in One Immortal Being, (ii.) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib, (iii.) Guru Granth Sahib, and the utterances and teachings of the 10 Gurus and baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh.

...the amended Punjabi version has deleted ‘Dassan’ (meaning all 10 from Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh)

So this means that Naamdharis are accepted back now? They who rejected The Guru Granth Maharaj as their one and only Guru?

...the deletion of ‘plucking of gray hair’ from the new version of Maryada...

<admin-profanity filter activated>?!?! again, this is wrong. I swear there's a story where a Singh plucked a grey hair from his beard and was chastised by Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj for it.

I am in such a state of mind that if it were possible, and I was in front of the committee, I would punch all of their lights out. At least until they saw sense :lol:

154674[/snapback]

I think Rehit Marayada definitely needs updating to take account of modern phenomenen's and out moded concepts such as a Sikh must marry a sikh.

HOWEVER, these ammendments are wrong. "Sikh's" who believe in Guru's other than the ten and the SrI Guru Granth Sahib are not mainstream Sikhs, but should be defined as a Sikh Cult, to differentiate them.

Plucking of grey hairs is superferlous and has more to do with egotism than anything else.

Pologomy/Bigamy is plain WRONG..end of chat!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plucking of grey hairs is superferlous and has more to do with egotism than anything else.

154828[/snapback]

This is something along the lines of what I remember:

There was a Sikh that came to see Guru Gobind Singh and Guru ji gave him a lot of love because he had a very nice long full dharee i.e Darshani Sikh. The same sikh went home that night and saw he had one white hair which he plucked out of his beard. The next he went back to see Guru Ji, and Guru ji would not even talk to him. The Sikh asked you gave me so much love yesterday what about today? He replied yesterday you were my Sikh today you are not.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

This is totally wrong, the amendments they are doing to the Rehit Maryada, but SGPC and political leaders like Parkash Badal will amend the Maryada to how they please. This is why Taksals, Samparda's and Panthic Jathebandi's are not ALL accepting it.

We believe there should be a Sikh Calendar, 100% but before it is issued it must be discussed with the Panth, changes like moving a date from the 4th of June to the 16th? Some moves like this have been created, so that when Sikh Sangats go to pay homage to Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj's Shaheedi, it was on the 4th, and with that there would be an image that on this same day the indian government sent in the indian army to attack Sri Darbar Sahib and destroy Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, and that same image of the 6th June 1984 how innocent Sikh Sangat like themselves were killed, raped, and the Sri Harmandir Sahib itself peppered with bullets.

Beware of this moves by the indian government, remember dont trust SGPC or BADAL or Sri Akal Takhat Sahib's Sarkari Jathedar!!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

154825[/snapback]

I like the line about Taksal and rest of them not accepting the Rehat Maryada. This is a complete joke. The various dere wale cannot come to a concensus amongst themselves on a common Rehat Maryada. Surly with them all being Sant, Brahmgiani ,108 etc they could all ask God as to what is the "right" Rehat Maryada and let the panth know. Is there a reason why they cannot do this ?

As for the calendar, why do we need a new calendar ? It has been said before and I will repeat it, if the BK based calendar was acceptable to our Guru Ji then why do we think we know better. No one is wiser that our Guru Ji and if they had deemed we needed a new calendar then they would have set one up.

Which Jathedar should we accept ? Ranjit Singh who let Tohra off for visiting the Naraqtharis ? Vedanti is a joke but the others over the last few years have been no better. Jasbir Rode is tainted due to his Intelligence Bureau links. Ranjit Singh let the panth down when he got sucked into letting Tohra off, Giani Puran Singh got into petty politics. I see no change to this trend of yes men occupying the Akal Takht Jathedars office.

No, i never meant Damdami Taksal, i meant Taksal's as in general, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I also meant need a Jathedar more like Shaheed Singh Sahib Bhai Gurdev Singh Ji Khalsa "Kaonke" or Shaheed Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa "Manochahal". Who stood for Khalistan.

And about 108 Sant Brahamgiani i have never mentioned this, no Sant is higher than the other a Sant is a Sant end of story.

No, i never meant Damdami Taksal, i meant Taksal's as in general, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I also meant need a Jathedar more like Shaheed Singh Sahib Bhai Gurdev Singh Ji Khalsa "Kaonke" or Shaheed Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa "Manochahal". Who stood for Khalistan.

And about 108 Sant Brahamgiani i have never mentioned this, no Sant is higher than the other a Sant is a Sant end of story.

154922[/snapback]

OK thanks for the clarification.

I know you have not mention 108 etc, but you did mention dere not accepting the Rehat. The issue of dere having their own rehat has seriously perplexed me for a while now. On the one hand they claim to be Sant, Brahmgiani, 108 etc. Surly with such status they would all be so divine that they would not disagree on a common Rehat Maryada.

1 date. Bikarmi calendar is flawed and those who bash the Nanakshahi calendar are uneducated.

Here is a link!

http://www.sikhmarg.com/2005/0710-nanak-shahi-calender.html

By Inderjit Singh Kaanpur!

155095[/snapback]

Yes I guess you and the Canadian who designed it are wiser than our Guru Ji.

It is not those who bash the Nanakshahi who are uneducated but the people who ignore the calander used by our Guru Ji.

Answer the following questions :

Were our Guru Ji not capable of recognising the "flaws" and capable of designing a calendar ?

Why does the Nanakshahi calendar still use the BK date for Bandi Chhorh Diwas ?

Today it is the calendar used by our Guru Ji tomorrow we will get some <banned word filter activated> saying instead of Amrit you can take a glass of Red Bull. Some things are not meant for change and the calendar is one of these things.

1 date. Bikarmi calendar is flawed and those who bash the Nanakshahi calendar are uneducated.

Here is a link!

http://www.sikhmarg.com/2005/0710-nanak-shahi-calender.html

By Inderjit Singh Kaanpur!

155095[/snapback]

Yes I guess you and the Canadian who designed it are wiser than our Guru Ji.

It is not those who bash the Nanakshahi who are uneducated but the people who ignore the calander used by our Guru Ji.

Answer the following questions :

Where are Guru Ji recognising the "flaws" and capable of designing a calendar ?

Why does the Nanakshahi calendar still use the BK date for Bandi Chhorh Diwas ?

Today it is the calendar used by our Guru Ji tomorrow we will get some <banned word filter activated> saying instead of Amrit you can take a glass of Red Bull. Some things are not meant for change and the calendar is one of these things.

155109[/snapback]

As for why the date for bandhi shor, ask Vedanti and the gang.

Where are Guru Ji recognising the "flaws" and capable of designing a calendar ?

?????

What did you mean?

It doesn't make sence.

Please write again. I will have no worries to answer your question.