Question About Sikh Ceremony

Hi Sangat,

I have a question and I thought you might be the best people to ask.

A friend of mine is having a special ceremony where five Gursikhs come round, say a prayer and eat dinner with my friend's family. This sounds great. But what is the prayer about and is it the same one or does it change? Also, who are the people that do this? Are they everyday people doing Sewa or are they like Guruntis (sorry if my spelling is off)? I'd be really interested to read any general information about it also.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Hi Sangat,

I have a question and I thought you might be the best people to ask.

A friend of mine is having a special ceremony where five Gursikhs come round, say a prayer and eat dinner with my friend's family. This sounds great. But what is the prayer about and is it the same one or does it change? Also, who are the people that do this? Are they everyday people doing Sewa or are they like Guruntis (sorry if my spelling is off)? I'd be really interested to read any general information about it also.

Any information would be gratefully received.

156816[/snapback]

I think its called "panj singha di sewa" , i think significance is that you get to do sewa of panj pyares. Usually i seen these panj to be 5 granthies who attend akhand paths regularly at the gurdwara.

My daddi is a big fan of this, she is amritdhari and when she asks us to do Panj di sewa, you have to make everything in desi ghee (not required) etc then she would sit there after the singhs had their meal and talk to them about where they are form and she usually finds long distance relationships, oh your mother and i are from the same pind etc :wub:

ok back tot eh topic, well as long as its not sharad which is a meal you provide to Granthis to say prayers for your family members who have passed away then its all right cos sharads arent allowed.