Am I Sikh?

Hello guys, I just wanted to know if I was Sikh or not lol.

I am not very religious, I dont have the Sikh identity, but I have a lot of love for my religion. I THINK ITS GREAT. and I belive in everything that my religion says, I think the Guru Granth Sahib is beautiful, UNLIKE ANY HOLLY "BOOK" THAT THIS WORLD HAS SEEN. I love the idea that we only focus on ONE GOD, no prophets, and the Gurus are our teachers, it is a very simple religion for mankind. In my philosophy class it makes the Seekkh religion look very great, this is what I learned Christians believe God is made of 3 parts Christ who they beilive is the son of God (and they belive he is the masihya), the holy spirit, and I think virgin Marry, Muslims belive that Muhhamad is the masihya, and they worhop Allah, who they belive is a God, not God in General like (Ikonkar). Jews belive in the old phrophets before Christ like MOses and they belive the massihya is yet to come. So you can see why these 3 relgions always fight. I just think that the Sikh relgion is perfect, it just focues on Ikonkar, and I also think that the "strength" I mean will power, and all the sacrafices that the Seekhs made is unequivical.

So am I still considered a Sikh, even though I dont have the identity, and I dont really go to the Gurdwara, and in the future I dont plan to start keeping the identity or start going to the Gurudwara. But I do know I will always have the respect for my religion?

To tell you whether you're Sikh is not in our hands as we're not the judges.

What i think is that one is a Sikh of the Guru as pre-ordained by the Creator, not by what anyone on this temporal plain says....

the extent of your relationship with the Guru is something which you and the Guru know......

and you know what the Guru's hukam is

जउ तउ प्रेम खेलण का चाउ ॥

ja-o ta-o paraym khaylan kaa chaa-o.

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

ਸਿਰੁ ਧਰਿ ਤਲੀ ਗਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਆਉ ॥

सिरु धरि तली गली मेरी आउ ॥

sir Dhar talee galee mayree aa-o.

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੈਰੁ ਧਰੀਜੈ ॥

इतु मारगि पैरु धरीजै ॥

it maarag pair Dhareejai.

When you place your feet on this Path,

ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਕਾਣਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥੨੦॥

सिरु दीजै काणि न कीजै ॥२०॥

sir deejai kaan na keejai. ||20||

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

ਨਾਲਿ ਕਿਰਾੜਾ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਕੂੜੈ ਕੂੜੀ ਪਾਇ ॥

नालि किराड़ा दोसती कूड़ै कूड़ी पाइ ॥

naal kiraarhaa dostee koorhai koorhee paa-ay.

False is friendship with the false and greedy. False is its foundation.

ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੈ ਮੂਲਿਆ ਆਵੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਥਾਇ ॥੨੧॥

मरणु न जापै मूलिआ आवै कितै थाइ ॥२१॥

maran na jaapai mooli-aa aavai kitai thaa-ay. ||21||

O Moollah, no one knows where death shall strike. ||21||

ਗਿਆਨ ਹੀਣੰ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

गिआन हीणं अगिआन पूजा ॥

gi-aan heenaN agi-aan poojaa.

Without spiritual wisdom, the people worship ignorance.

ਅੰਧ ਵਰਤਾਵਾ ਭਾਉ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨੨॥

अंध वरतावा भाउ दूजा ॥२२॥

anDh vartaavaa bhaa-o doojaa. ||22||

They grope in the darkness, in the love of duality. ||22||

ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਰਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

गुर बिनु गिआनु धरम बिनु धिआनु ॥

gur bin gi-aan Dharam bin Dhi-aan.

Without the Guru, there is no spiritual wisdom; without Dharma, there is no meditation.

ਸਚ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਾਖੀ ਮੂਲੋ ਨ ਬਾਕੀ ॥੨੩॥

सच बिनु साखी मूलो न बाकी ॥२३॥

sach bin saakhee moolo na baakee. ||23||

Without Truth, there is no credit; without capital, there is no balance. ||23||

Ang,1412

so you need to ask yourself....am i a Sikh of my Guru?

and if the answer is yeas then you also need to ask yourself, how do i go about on the path that my Guru has laid for me

and there you'll find the answer

Brother Lohgarh singh .. you couldve given a better answer then that :wub: .. im just sayin that that was just little bit mean .. we shouldnt attack sangat like this ..

Born2bsikh ji .. start slowly .. in bani it says who a sikh is and should be and guru gobind ji refined that by saying that a sikh must take amrit.. so we cant really redefine what a sikh should be can we ? :@

(if u dont alrdy) Get up in the mornings .. amritvela.. start reading bani .. start wit japji sahid .. then jaap sahib, svaiayaii, chaupai, anand sahib .. evening wit rehiras sahib adn kirtan sohila before u goto sleep .. do LOTS of simran .. in fact start with that and work your way up .. in your everyday life, hang out with goodpositive sangat cuz the sangat around you effects how you are .. and will come out .. stop meat/drugs/alcohol (only if u do ..) .. and slowly live a life how our guru ji told us to live ..

maybe more sangat can give u better advice :cool:

I dont eat mean, or drink, or do drugs. But I also have to say I am not religious, and I dont think I will be in the future. My question is when do we consider a person a Seekh.

A person who holds the identity, and belives in the teachings, and has taken Amrit is a Sikh??

A person who had not taken Amrit, holds the identity, and belvies in the teachings is a Sikh??

A person who has not taken Amrit, does not have the identity, but belives in the teaching is a Sikh??

What I now think I believe is that anybody who belives in his or her faith is part of that fiath, weather they follow the rules or not.

I truly belive in the teaching of the Gurus and I think they were Great, and I dont think there is any other clear vision of God than in the Sikh faith, for me. If I am not considered a Sikh, I will still stand behind the Sikhs no matter what.

I dont eat mean, or drink, or do drugs. But I also have to say I am not religious, and I dont think I will be in the future. My question is when do we consider a person a Seekh.

A person who holds the identity, and belives in the teachings, and has taken Amrit is a Sikh??

A person who had not taken Amrit, holds the identity, and belvies in the teachings is a Sikh??

A person who has not taken Amrit, does not have the identity, but belives in the teaching is a Sikh??

What I now think I believe is that anybody who belives in his or her faith is part of that fiath, weather they follow the rules or not.

I truly belive in the teaching of the Gurus and I think they were Great, and I dont think there is any other clear vision of God than in the Sikh faith, for me. If I am not considered a Sikh, I will still stand behind the Sikhs no matter what.

160346[/snapback]

Dear fellow!

A 'Sikh' is a disciple, student or a person who is learning the way of the Guru (Enlightened Teacher).

As you say you are not religious - and may be wont be either in the future.

Imagine a student/indivual who goes to school/college/uni etc and say's I belive everything my teacher says but I'm not going to put the effort into the course and I probably won't in the coming semesters/years either - now why is the student there - Because it's cool to be there or any other reason.

Now ask yourself, is this person a student or is he just passing time? Shouldn't a student be somebody who actually 'Study's'?

Our Ten Guru Sahibaans have Uniquely shown us (Over a period of some 250 years) what the 'Perfect' student's way of life should be. No other religion has had this blessing - We are still guided by Siri Guru Geanth Sahib Ji Maharaj - through the divine daily hukamnama's.

Are you a Sikh of the Guru or are you a follower of your own minds desires?

Please do not be offended by my humble post - I too have been there for 20 odd years asking wether or not I'm a Sikh. But now I know I have told that little voice - The one that has a pointy tail and horns :-) that it is no longer my ruler and believe me - I have unleashed a peace and calm that is much better and more serene than anything that I haver ever experienced. I haven't even scratched the surface YET.

You're on the right track, just be thankful for that much.

If you really do love Guruji, then Guruji will also show his love by changing you. It's not really within our power to just get up one day and feel like keeping kesh, doing nitnem, going to the gurdwara.

And i'm going to repeat it again, you are on the RIGHT track. Don't get bogged down with "am I a Sikh?" question, because honestly, even after becoming amritdhari with Guruji's kirpa, I still feel I just aint worthy to be called a Sikh.

Remember, keep the love for Guru alive within you. Eventually I think Guruji will himself change your mind. Just leave it in his hand.

khalsa code of conduct:

use of tobacco

eating meat

CUTTING OR REMOVING ANY HAIR FROM THE BODY

sexual relations with any oher women besides own wife

Kesh(hair) - holiness , commitment, distinction, spirituality, naturalness and complete surrender before the authority of almighty god.

thus, a true sikh of the guru neither comes nor goes naked from this world as all part of this body are covered with precious gift of hair.

The First Step is just Dont Feel Guilty and dont think that Nobody is accepting you as Sikh ...If you are a Nice Human Being that is Definately more important as Guru Jis Primary Objective was and that is what we want to show by wearing a Turban and a beard ,the differnce is that you are nice person but u r nt showing that by having a Sikh Identity and being SIkh is more abt being Free frm any Burden or Stress and Live A Free Life as shown by Guru Gobind Singh Ji..THE FIRST THING IS WITHOUT HAVING ANYTHING IN YOUR MIND JUST START GOING TO GURUDWARA near by...beleive me everything will Follow.Youll get all the answers .