Sikh Student Assocication - Bhangra?

Guest Papi

I would rather you do not take a personal tone in your message. I don't know this sikh soc but I am sure that keertan does make a core part of their activities but do you think as sikhs we should not learn other things?

The thing is would people be making such a fuss say if it was a cricket competition or something. You say the problem is dancing - - is there a quote you got about dancing being as you say bad...

I'm sure you know there are different types of dancing. Even in bani people get really happy and will start moving. Its the type of dancing that matters. Bhangra ain't exactly your dirty dancing is it.

If you think Bhangra adds to the quality of your life than so be it! It's a pointless argument Bhenji, it's the old Punjabi v Sikhi scenario which we have been through on this forum 100s if times.

yeah but isn't being panjabi part of our culture ?????

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have no clue what effect bhangra has on sikhi ???

bhangra = dancing and i consider dancing as a hobby or interest really. It dont intefere with your sikhi in any way

To attract folks in this day and age we need to appeal to the wider audience.......think about how many haircuts there are out there....how many Sikhi-folks are out there on the edge of Sikhism...following by name only.

Do you really think they would be attracted by a Kirtan session? I doubt it.

Have a Bhangra competition...followed by a talk or Kirtan....that why you attract LOADS more folks and you get them all involved...forming a community...

Nothing wrong with it.

it is the lyrics that are worrying.... mahraj even tels us that we refrain from lsitenign to the faithless cynic singing their useless lyrics....

if they want competition they should dharmaic geet atleast , not songs like,, akh teri sohni , or nungi ho ke nach or sumink stupid like that

most of us proberly have lsitened 2 bhangra n stuff before

how did u lot grow out of it???

Bhangra is vile

By the Kahlsanator

I'm sure a small portion of the community here listens to bhangra. and many of us have heard the catchy tunes of this form of music. and the odd time have seen it live in action. But is bhangra clean? think again - many songs now include many unclean acts that directly conflict with the values of sikhi. Yet, many sikhs still listen to it. I think bhangra has turned into something ugly and has become vile.

However it wouldn't be fair just to state my opinion, I supplied a short little excerpt from Punjabi Online about bhangra...

What is bhangra? It's a traditional music and dance of the punjab region, it originated sometime in the 14th and 15th century. It was performed mainly by punjab farmers in the beginning however it soon showed up in local festivals. Bhangra has many sub-dances and has recently fused with other forms of music. But for today, I am talking about the popular bhangra music that is produced today.

Many well-known singers claim to be sikh and market to sikh youth - this is a very bad mix because as we all know, culture and religion are two separate things. And what's worse it that a good portion of these sikh bhrangra singers don't appear to be following the basic sikh values in the vid's and lyrics. Several things if noticed: they claim to be sikh, but they don't wear head covering. The wear the khanda symbol, but they drink and commit adultery. Some even glorify the gangster way of life and encourage aggressive behavior. This is not good, we may forget them today, however it all goes into our subconscious memory and stays. And id it's bad stuff, we may be influenced to act on it.

I used to listen to bhangra, however i got tired of it when i learned the lyrics and the fact that it is not a khalsa oriented. So i quit listening to it. Several ppl i know online also don't listen to bhrangra anymore because of it's increasingly suggestive lyrics and video's.

Now i wonder why other sikhs continue to listen to some the **** singers that are out today. Why do we tolerate these ppl in our midst?

I have made up my mind and acted upon it. Bhangra used to be clean, but has tuned into something that is very bad (at least most popular bhangra music).

I ask for all sikhs to stop listening to the so-call popular bhangra music.

Jazzy b, Surinder Shinda, Manak E - all around...

...bhangra sucks

-khalsa starr

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have another article with a more indepth look at Bhangra and how it should be looked towards by the Khalsa.

Will post it tonight.

it is the lyrics that are worrying.... mahraj even tels us that we refrain from lsitenign to the faithless cynic singing their useless lyrics....

if they want competition they should dharmaic geet atleast , not songs like,, akh teri sohni , or nungi ho ke nach or sumink stupid like that

most of us proberly have lsitened 2 bhangra n stuff before

how did u lot grow out of it???

Yea I agree that some bhangra tracks have stupid lyrics but not all bhangra tracks do. I mean Gidha tracks etc..they're ok arent they????. Ive seeen alot of amrit dhari bibiyaa kiking it in gidhaa.

To attract folks in this day and age we need to appeal to the wider audience.......think about how many haircuts there are out there....how many Sikhi-folks are out there on the edge of Sikhism...following by name only.

Do you really think they would be attracted by a Kirtan session? I doubt it.

Have a Bhangra competition...followed by a talk or Kirtan....that why you attract LOADS more folks and you get them all involved...forming a community...

Nothing wrong with it.

Alcohol and meat would attract the Sikh-folk on the edge of Sikhism. Don't mean we start promoting it.

Why do we get so passionate over Bhangra? It's just a stupid dance like the Samba or Breakdancing. Man, people are so prepared to protect Punjabism but when it comes to protecting Sikh Maryada no one wants to come forward.