Confused Sikh. About To Cut Hair

singh2k

i went through many problems in schools too living in canada. back in the days there were very less sikhs, i was the onli sikh til grade 7, and it was all abuse,even after g7 it still continued when i had sum new sikhs in school, but i noticed they all were too week to the point they all started cutting their hair. watching this as a little kid it use to piss me off that there soo week. i went through alot of crap. and saw a downfall in sikhi, it started truning into the same way it was bak then when their were no sikhs, cuz these monay werent sikhs anymore and they didnt call them selfs sikhs when a white guy wud ask them.

buddy the first time a got jumped was in kindergarden(5 years old) by 2 elder guys. while a bunch of white folks watched (parents of the children) my bibi had to come rescue my as* and they ran away.

after that it was trouble with me everyday. and u kno wat it made me stronger everytime. i took advantage of wat i was going through and soon i ran the schools..lol i beat down everykid that even tried looking at me (im not advising u to beat them down )

the point is take advantage of it as i did and not feel week about it.

tell me this, black ppl went through enough crap with the white, did they gets soo weak annd colour themselfs white?(im not tryin to b funny)

anyways now canadas packed with punjabi, but soo sad that their mainly monai, who dont kno nuttin about sikhi, but claim themselfs as ones. even sad that when u find a singh, he turns out to b a heavy drinker and they smoke plenty.

So guess whos downfalling sikhi?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough decision.

Sometimes I feel that I'm a Atheist... lol

KFI, I appreciate that you took the time to help me out on this issue.

Things aren't the same today as they were 300 years ago.

Look at Bhagat Singh, he was a Atheist, cut his hair right? Look at how much respect Sikh's have for him.

DAMN. I am confused.

he was atheist, but do u know his history bro? he met bhai randheer singh in jail and learned a lot from him he belived in god cause of help from bhai randheer singh he saw bhai randheer singh would wake up in jail at amrit vela do hours of simran and read bani and it changed bhagat singh,

if u believe what im sayin is wrong jus ask bro i will give u sources, scanned images of book and letters written from bhai randheer snigh which were later included in his book, and it even has quotes of what bhagat singh said to randheer singh, he wanted to meet randheer singh cause heh eard so much about him..

now imagine............. what even bhagat singh didnt have u can HAVE right now, the love for akal purkh at a young age of 18, but u wanna wait till u get married and ur old? even bhagat singha would look down at u

in heaven or hell, u think bhagat singh want ppl to remember him for "being an atheist, and having respect?'

no bro he dun care, he want u to remember him to stand up for ur rights, to help, and to never giveu p in life. thats his true message not U CAN BE GOOD EVEN IF UR ATHEIST

do u think he got hair cut in prison? NO.

Do i respect him? YES, but do i call him SIKH/SINGH?NO.

HE FOUGHT FOR INDIA NOT KHALISTAN.

BHAGAT WAS HIS NAME BUT DID HE LIVE UP TO IT? NO.

and why u comparing urself to bhagat singh? r u gonna die for khalistan? u cant make decision of if u wanna cut ur hair or not and u are comparing urself to bhagat singh who we can say, did not care about his life

u say atheist get respect thats another topic, if ur mona, u think u can join babbar khalsa and do seva? or empty a ak47 infront of punjab police?

if u mona, u think u can get ur head cut and see ur family go thru torture ?

if guru gobind singh ji gave u a sword, r u gonna throw that sword away r u gonna buy a better one?

if guru nanak dev ji was alive and he give u a box full of fruits, r u gonna throw box out after ? r u gonna throw that peice of paper guru ji writes something on or a pen he uses to write with?

u will cherish it cause it from guru it was given to u by him

same way ur hair ur body is all his its given to u ,

how u gonna cut it and say God, u kinda weird, u made a small mistake, i dont need kes, so dun give em to me

bu even then god will grow beard on u every day but u gonna show disrespect n pick up a razor.

sant jee said, NO PERSON GOT SHAHEED BY DRINKING LIQUOR, IF U WANT TO BE SHAHEED IT IS ONLY BY BANI

same way, u think u can do this without kesh and sikhi saroop?

u got no sikhi saroop how u sikh inside? ...

inside is not all, what inside reflects outside

if inside u think its good to be clean, u will try to keep ur room clean

if inside u think its right to marry someone older than u, u will marry someone older,

inside reflects outside and causes our action

if inside u are sikh, have love for sikhs, have love for gurus, then outside u are mona u not strong enuff, u scared of showin urself u scared of standing for urthoughts, u weak

u want to cut go ahead, but ur mentality is wrong

everthing u say or the arguments u pose is saying u want to cut it, u are giving stupid examples or points on why NOT to, so just do it, we don't really care bro, i dont really care. vaheguru doesall, he guides all towards WRONG and RIGHT.

If akal purkh wants u out of panth , he will take u out.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ke fateh

post shud be closed soon

bhagat singh in jail with kes

bhagat_singh_in_jail.jpg

drawn; dont say its drawn it it aint real; if he was mona ppl wouldnt draw him as kes dhari

bhagatsi.jpg

btw where u live u need to be in company of tru singhs

Bro i respect ur views and liked it as well.

Well just to let ya know, i also cut my hair on the 14th jan 2006 when i was around 23. and reason was to get rid of the undue hassel i had to thru everymorning before goin to office. or work.. but i wud like to point out that it did not make me less of a sikh..i know that offical i aint no more a sikh..but i deeply and firmly believe that ur cutting hair does not affect to reach the soul, to get enlightened, to reach waheguru or to find mukti, nirvana, moksha....it was my choice to have freedom to live my life the way thats it..

sorry if i have offened anybodys views. but i wud suggest my bro who wants to cut his hair that. dont give to much attention to ur outer look just care about innerlook ..i know its gonna be increasing diffecult for him to care about innerlook after having his hair cut..but a word of caution that.. it depends on what u are looking in life that makes the differnce..if u want to reaveal the deepest mystry of life and want to 'know ur self' that it juss immaterial according to me the way u look from outside...

Sangeet

Bro you don’t understand KFI’s view, much less be able to respect it as you suggest. You point at the same time that it does not make you less of a sikh as well as officially you aint a sikh no more?? Do you see a contradiction?

Don’t apologize for your offense. Cutting your hair does not offend us. However, you’re lack of respect to the meaning of kes is offensive. You compensating for your own weakness by making disrespectful suggestions about the significance of kes of the sikh, the love of guruji’s and heads of sikh martyrs is offensive.

If the innerlook is what is so important, then why did you not solve your “undue hassles” by fixing your inner look? If it is immaterial the way you look from outside as you suggest, then tell me do you unduly hassle to shave or trim daily?

Live your life as you wish bro. This is not a numbers game for Sikhs. In fact I would suggest that there are many shells that should cut their hair who don’t. However you cross the line when you make suggestions about the significance of kes to Sikhi. You can say what you want to us, but in attempting to deny your own cowardice, you insult our guruji’s and the blood of sikh martyrs by degrading the significance of kes.

Bro i respect ur views and liked it as well.

Well just to let ya know, i also cut my hair on the 14th jan 2006 when i was around 23. and reason was to get rid of the undue hassel i had to thru everymorning before goin to office. or work.. but i wud like to point out that it did not make me less of a sikh..i know that offical i aint no more a sikh..but i deeply and firmly believe that ur cutting hair does not affect to reach the soul, to get enlightened, to reach waheguru or to find mukti, nirvana, moksha....it was my choice to have freedom to live my life the way thats it..

sorry if i have offened anybodys views. but i wud suggest my bro who wants to cut his hair that. dont give to much attention to ur outer look just care about innerlook ..i know its gonna be increasing diffecult for him to care about innerlook after having his hair cut..but a word of caution that.. it depends on what u are looking in life that makes the differnce..if u want to reaveal the deepest mystry of life and want to 'know ur self' that it juss immaterial according to me the way u look from outside...

Sangeet

Bro you don’t understand KFI’s view, much less be able to respect it as you suggest. You point at the same time that it does not make you less of a sikh as well as officially you aint a sikh no more?? Do you see a contradiction?

Don’t apologize for your offense. Cutting your hair does not offend us. However, you’re lack of respect to the meaning of kes is offensive. You compensating for your own weakness by making disrespectful suggestions about the significance of kes of the sikh, the love of guruji’s and heads of sikh martyrs is offensive.

If the innerlook is what is so important, then why did you not solve your “undue hassles” by fixing your inner look? If it is immaterial the way you look from outside as you suggest, then tell me do you unduly hassle to shave or trim daily?

Live your life as you wish bro. This is not a numbers game for Sikhs. In fact I would suggest that there are many shells that should cut their hair who don’t. However you cross the line when you make suggestions about the significance of kes to Sikhi. You can say what you want to us, but in attempting to deny your own cowardice, you insult our guruji’s and the blood of sikh martyrs by degrading the significance of kes.

i aint a clean shaven one...i have stublle and i go to barber 2wice a month or sometimes once i n a month..so its not a hassel for me and when i said officlaly i aint no more a sikh mean the so called sikhs will not take me as sikh coz they think that hair are something not supposed to be cut for a sikh. and i have cut so i aintno more a sikh but inside i feel that i am still a sikh and have love for sikhi so can u see ur contradiction getting resolved? neways i dint insult any sikh guru or martyr. i am living my life the way i want to, the reason i have cut my hair is that i want to live my life more freely as i dont like to torture my self in trying to tieing the turban or ne thing like that neither i have the time nor do i like to waste my time or i like to tie turban..wat on the earth does God has to do with hair..its a matter of ur inner undrestanding and inner realisation..and by cutting my hair i have made my life lil more 'comfortable'.

i was a mona all my life until last year, it was a strugle for me to even get consent from my family who objected at the time.

if you want to know the truth, youshud never cut your hair. the thread starter said why do we hav to suffer, well until you dont understand why u keep kesh and what your beliefs are then there is no point in keep kesh . only do what you belive in and understand., try to learn and find out about sikhi, or at least what you belive. dont be a sheep and keep kesh cos sikhs do. ...................... i wish people would pick on me, and attack me and abuse me instead of vunerable sikhs around the world who may lose faith , becos i know why i do things, and when someone harms me cos of it, i get plesure not pain.

i think if you meet up witha gursikh near you , they will explain things to u , im sure the great gursikhs on here will help you ,.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

i aint a clean shaven one...i have stublle and i go to barber 2wice a month or sometimes once i n a month..so its not a hassel for me and when i said officlaly i aint no more a sikh mean the so called sikhs will not take me as sikh coz they think that hair are something not supposed to be cut for a sikh. and i have cut so i aintno more a sikh but inside i feel that i am still a sikh and have love for sikhi so can u see ur contradiction getting resolved? neways i dint insult any sikh guru or martyr. i am living my life the way i want to, the reason i have cut my hair is that i want to live my life more freely as i dont like to torture my self in trying to tieing the turban or ne thing like that neither i have the time nor do i like to waste my time or i like to tie turban..wat on the earth does God has to do with hair..its a matter of ur inner undrestanding and inner realisation..and by cutting my hair i have made my life lil more 'comfortable'.

i am noone to say anything on keeping hair since i need to straighten myself up too, but, i do acknowledge the fact that we DO need to keep hair and yes it has EVERYTHING to do with our connection to God..if we cant keep a particular rehit, for now atleast, then we shudnt deny it and its significance in order to justify what we are doing...

To the thread starter ...

First of all, I've been reading your posts, and I completely understand what you have been going through your whole life. I went through the same thing... Only probably worse... But the main thing that comes to mind when I read your posts is that you aren't really trying to listen/understand what the sangat is trying to say... I notice that when you answer, you have an explanation for everything and make an excuse for everything... Like, for example:

I respect the Religion, I know by getting a hair cut, it is disrespectful to the Gurus, family and the Sikh society. But in my opinion, everyone has their own rights and wrong.

As long as you respect people, no matter who they are, you aren’t doing anything wrong. I know I won’t be showing any respect to the Guru’s by getting a hair cut, but if the Guru is in my heart, I don’t think appearance would be more important than reality.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji once said “ A SIKH IS NOT A SIKH WITHOUT A TURBAN “

I agree, a Sikh is not a Sikh without a turban. But a Sikh is not a Sikh either if it’s not in their heart to keep the turban. The turban doesn’t bring me any closer to God; it’s just a part of my identity that I have disliked all my life.

A friend told me that by getting a hair cut, you will be throwing away the Guru’s gift. I agree, but I don’t think the Guru would give you a gift which would make you suffer your life, especially in America.

You're making your own interpretations and excuses... it's like you say what you KNOW is right... "I know I won’t be showing any respect to the Guru’s by getting a hair cut, but if the Guru is in my heart, I don’t think appearance would be more important than reality." But then you follow it with an excuse to justify that cutting your hair would be O.K. Bro, cutting your hair might be O.K. for you... it might be O.K. for your family... friends.... and i guarantee, on the contrary to everybody else's statements here... you probably won't even feel bad inside... you'll easily live your life happy... get everything you want... "fit in" with the supposed "cool" kids or whatever.... maybe even land that girlfriend that you've always wanted since middle school.... but it ain't O.K. with sikhism... so you can't really call yourself that anymore... of course you can go to gurudwara still... still pray in the hopes of one day merging with waheuguru... but here's my main question.. how? Think of it like this... like a roadmap... Waheguru is the destination for everybody in the world, not just sikhs... you can take many different roads to try to get there one day... Chrisitianity, Islam, Sikhism... etc... many other religions... You gotta pick one and follow it to the fullest.. But what are you going to do then? You can't really convert, because you don't know anything about other religions... And after cutting your hair, you're not a sikh either... Maybe by "heart" but what's a sikh by "heart" really mean? honestly... Look man... you're young... 18... You've honestly gone through the toughest part of your life as a sikh... middle school.. high school... you're done with it... you can now choose, where you want to go to college... pick another place away from dallas... go to l.a... ny... jersey... get some real sikh influence... hang out with some peeps who know, and try to learn bout the religion.... you said your parents never taught u... so what? my parents never taught me how to type.... or how to work out.... you're never too old to learn... i respect and applaud that you're coming for help and advice before you take a drastic step and cut your hair... you showed us all honor and i can see that you don't mean this:

I also agree on the fact that the turban has kept me away from many bad influences, such as drugs and bad company. But I feel the need to go through things and have experience with everything and decide what is good or not by myself. If I keep the turban and be isolated from the society all my life, I’ll just ruin my life (in my opinion). .

It's just an excuse to justify cutting your hair... Because you've pretty much 99% made up your mind to do so... Look, your parents gave you the green light... And it's your choice.... I'm not gonna beg you to keep your hair, bro... instead offer you a new way to look at it.... I want to put this into your head and think about it... "If I cut my hair now, I'll end up making excuses for everything else for the rest of my life... drugs..education..work...whatever else.." And you know it'll be true too...

I know it's hard man... Like I said, I lived in one of the most white trash areas around here... It wasn't easy... I came home with bruised lips all the time... School wasn't easy, but all that stuff, only made me stronger... I know everybody's different.. some weaker than others, some easily influenced... But all I ask of you is to give it another couple years... Go out to a different university in a differnt area and become a little more religious... I promise you, it all comes together one day and you'll realize EVERYTHING... what everyone's trying to say... it doesn't seem like it, but it does bro... it all comes together one day... and if you do cut your hair, I wish you the best in your life... and pray that you still stay in contact with sikh influences, such as this forum... gurudwara's, etc, so that one day you may be able to find your right path again....

Again, mad propz for comin here and seeking advice from everyone.... You're a good, smart kid and I know you'll make a good decision, and either way, you've earned my respect...

No offence but why you thinking so low?

This thinking will get you no where. All it will do is cause more problems for you. I seen many who have done what you are about to do and want to change back but are too weak.

You got to make youself stronger. Looks like you need some doses of Bhai Taru Singh Sakhis and kavishree.

Well, Kavishree, you get from me. Kahta you get here.

As for suffering and stuff, it is will of Akaal. Accept it. Don't be a weakling. Make yourself stronger.

http://gurmatveechar.com/katha.php?k=bps

Listen to #28.

I went through a lot of <admin-profanity filter activated> in my life. This though never came to mind even thou I wasn't Amritdhari at that time. Now, no one can mess and no one messed. People just talk about the Kirpaan now. Hahahahaha!

Maybe you need to pesh and get Khanday Kee Pahul.

Guru Ji's kakkars get you a lot of respect. Wear them.

As for this gang up on you stuff, it only happens in high school. Not outside. Just get through high school and you will be safe!

I've thought about it for a while. Read all of the comments, asked friends (Mona's and Sikhs), and finally reached to an conclusion.

I've decided to stay the way I am. It might not be easy, but hey, no one ever said life would be easy.

I've been having mood swings, sometimes I'm proud to be a Sikh, and then there are times I wish I was like everyone else.

The main reason I decided to stick with the turban is because it's my identity, not only as a Sikh, but as my father's son, and as my brother's brother, as a part of the family. Without the turban, people wouldn't recognize me as a part of the family, but as a foreigner. If my father didn't keep his turban, my decision wouldn't have been this hard.

The idea of getting a hair cut came to mind a couple of months ago, I spoke with a couple of friends and realized it wasn't worth it and kept the turban. Now, just 2 weeks ago the idea came back to me, but this time I decided to discuss the issue with Sikhsangat.com and Sikhnet.com. I have to admit, I never thought there would be so much support out there, from the US,UK and India.

I might not be the most religious person out there, I might not know much about Sikhism, but hopefully later on my life I will succeed and find out what its all about.

And I apologize for whatever I have said in the forum. I am no one to judge what is right or wrong about religion.

As for being religious, I am going to try learning some Punjabi first.

Thanks Sikhnet.com and Sikhsangat.com for all the support, hopefully I don’t run into this issue again later on in my lifetime.