An Exploded Star...

Nama Singh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's another one

rcw86_xmmchandra_f.jpg

"Explanation: In 185 AD, Chinese astronomers recorded the appearance of a new star in the Nanmen asterism - a part of the sky identified with Alpha and Beta Centauri on modern star charts. The new star was visible for months and is thought to be the earliest recorded supernova. Data from two orbiting X-ray telescopes of the 21st century, XMM-Newton and Chandra, now offer evidence that supernova remnant RCW 86 is indeed the debris from that stellar explosion. Their composite, false-color view of RCW 86 shows the expanding shell of material glowing in x-rays with high, medium, and low energies shown in blue, green, and red hues. Shock velocities measured in the x-ray emitting shell and an estimated radius of about 50 light-years can be used to find the apparent age of the remnant. The results indicate that light from the initial explosion could well have first reached planet Earth in 185 AD. Near the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy, RCW 86 is about 8,200 light-years away." -- APOD

ic443_comp_f.jpg

" Explanation: IC 443 is typical of the aftermath of a stellar explosion, the ultimate fate of massive stars. Seen in this false-color composite image, the supernova remnant is still glowing across the spectrum, from radio (blue) to optical (red) to x-ray (green) energies -- even though light from the stellar explosion that created the expanding cosmic cloud first reached planet Earth thousands of years ago. The odd thing about IC 443 is the apparent motion of its dense neutron star, the collapsed remnant of the stellar core. The close-up inset shows the swept-back wake created as the neutron star hurtles through the hot gas, but that direction is not aligned with the direction toward the apparent center of the remnant. The misalignment suggests that the explosion site was offset from the center or that fast-moving gas in the nebula has influenced the wake. The wide view of IC 443, also known as the Jellyfish nebula, spans about 65 light-years at the supernova remnant's estimated distance of 5,000 light-years." -- APOD

Whoa whoa Professor Papi !!!! I dont have the money to pay for your course :D After this Ill know more about space than thee earth :@
you dont have to pay, i teach for freeeee <_< wink2.gif

keep your hat on, or i guess keep your pugh on tongue.gif i got more comingggggg :@

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

They actually send papi out there tied to a rope with a digi cam to take the pictures and then reeled back in the UFO :D The only way papi can know soo much about space is because papi is an alien that lives in outer space. For papi its like descibing the neighborhood out in the front yard. WATCH OUT BECAUSE PAPI HAS THAT LITTLE FLASH DEVICE FROM MEN IN BLACK :@

Man, this is all big kid, nerdy, smart guy stuff. I'm still stuck with Napoleon and Algebra 2 and the rest of them. But those pix are prettyful (or cuteeeeeeeeeeeee or whatever).

As for frontyards in space, I own three acres of stardust out there, with 3 and a half hundred aliens to work them too. But dont tell anyone.