What Should You Do If Your Parents Ask You To Cut Your Hair?

hi, i have a friend and his parents are putting pressure on him to cut his hair and be 'normal' i.e. for finding a job and marriage etc. he wants to keep his hair and i am supporting him (i also wear a turban)...what more could i do to support him and what should he do?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he should say NO :D simple.

i hope it doesnt come to this buh if they like cut his hair while he is asleep or something then they would have to pay for that. :@ also then he can just grow em back :@

man whats wrong with his parents <_<

o n tell em, all the people who do keep their hair n tie a turban, NEVER find a job or NEVER get married rolleyes.gif

this is why its said that only fortunate ones get born in gursikh households

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I would laugh (When my parents said that I laughed) They fired me from my job for not cutting my Kes.

It is hard to find a job with a turban though, at least in my case.

Im still looking for some fulltime employment,not involving cut hair and shaved face. Society is a ________ ________ _____ for being prejudice to Sikhs with beards and turbans.

Didnt Guru Arjan Dev Ji say something on the lines of dont argue the your parents (father) for they(he) raised you :D , so if you argue and keep you hair is that contradicting the teachings or if you dont keep your hair then is that contradicting the teachins im confused :@ @

Guest peacemaker

Didnt Guru Arjan Dev Ji say something on the lines of dont argue the your parents (father) for they(he) raised you :D , so if you argue and keep you hair is that contradicting the teachings or if you dont keep your hair then is that contradicting the teachins im confused :@ @

But Guru Gobind Singh said to keep your hair, so if you don't, aren't you contradicting what he said?

move to canada pritam singh, <_< :TH:

I almost want to but I know nothing there. Doesnt living in canada effect your well being?? I heard canadians start to get flannel skin, and mutate other ways, like they start to say the letter "a" at the ends of sentences,instead of money they trade pelts etc :D JK its either the cold or the canadiation emmitted (worse than radiation) :@

But Guru Gobind Singh said to keep your hair, so if you don't, aren't you contradicting what he said?

What it means is if he willfully listens to the parents then he will lower his standards to the parents level which will show when the whole family has lessser and less of a connection with Sikhi, but Gurbani also says the true Gurmukh will save himself along with his family ( He can be such a good influence on his parents to either understand him as a Kesdhari or become Amritdari along with him )

If you are young enough then you have to listen or you are being defyant, but when you are old enough to start working etc you are really learning to be independent so keeping your views without arguing is call for. Fighting about it means you cant keep calm and somehow give off a vibe that "it wont matter" if you cut your hair, but if it would hurt your hair (like if they were cutting off your arms/legs etc then they understand the connections with Kes and your body)

Arguing and keeping your views as a young adult are different, just as much as fighting and debating.

Being a humble Sikh is needed for the parents to understand so they can stop being so foolish with their Sikhi.

If Mr.Singh is needing to support himself then he is able to support his Sikhi fully if he wants.