Bbc News - Email Move Over Sikh Hair Attack

JagtarSinghKhalsa

BBC News - Email move over Sikh hair attack

A police text message service and e-mail address has been launched in a bid to catch youths who hacked a Sikh teenager's hair off in Edinburgh.

The racial attack on a 15-year-old by four white youths on Tuesday evening was described by police as a sustained and unprovoked assault.

The youngster was subjected to a tirade of racial abuse in the city's Pilrig Park before being kicked to the ground.

When the victim's bandanna came loose, the youths cut his hair off.

Hair is a religious symbol for Sikhs, and it is strictly against the religion to have it cut.

Bhai Amrik Singh, Chair of the Sikh Federation, said: "This is an insulting action which is deeply offensive to Sikhs because of the religious importance of their hair and is being treated with the utmost seriousness."

Nina Giles, director of the Edinburgh and Lothians Racial Equality Council, said: "This was a mindless attack. It's appalling knowing how sensitive Sikhs are about their hair."

Officers from Lothian and Borders Police have visited local high schools in the Pilrig area appealing for information and now following several lines of inquiry.

A police spokeswoman said: "We hope that the dedicated email address and text number will encourage people who may have information, but are worried about phoning or speaking to police direct.

"The youths responsible for the attack were all believed to be aged 16 so it is possible they attend one of the high schools in the Pilrig area.

"Someone knows who these people are, and we would urge anyone who recognises them, to come forward."

Anyone with information about the assault is urged to contact police by e-mailing sikhattack@lbp.pnn.police.uk or by sending a text to 07717 997885 .

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_n...ast/6159164.stm

Published: 2006/11/17 17:07:36 GMT

*sigh*

Such stupid people, this divide is just going to increase the hostility between the communities :D , united we stand divided we fall, but obviously many stupid asians just want to divide themselves into their religions, this is what the bnp members want they want us divided i still remember the video on bbc on the bnp where the kutha gora doc guy was saying this he was saying he wanted the communities to be divided and this is what is happening, mind you i understand we dont want to be vicitimised for crimes by some muslim people but this is such a contraversial subject theres pros and cons on both sides

*sigh*

Such stupid people, this divide is just going to increase the hostility between the communities :D , united we stand divided we fall, but obviously many stupid asians just want to divide themselves into their religions, this is what the bnp members want they want us divided i still remember the video on bbc on the bnp where the kutha gora doc guy was saying this he was saying he wanted the communities to be divided and this is what is happening, mind you i understand we dont want to be vicitimised for crimes by some muslim people but this is such a contraversial subject theres pros and cons on both sides

How can I be an Asian or Indian?

I am not an immigrant.

I was born in the UK and have a European passport.

I am proud to be a Sikh and should be striving for the same rights as any other person born in the UK.

*sigh*

I am not an immigrant.

I am proud to be a Sikh and should be striving for the same rights as any other person born in the UK.

Are you punjabi

*sigh*

What an unwise and thoughtless post.

This is the reason why visible Sikhs get attacked (or killed) every other week due to mistaken identity around the world.

d_oh.gif Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Phateh!!! d_oh.gif

Guest militant singh

*sigh*

I am not an immigrant.

yEH 2 right i was 2 born and bred in England i aint no asian or Indian ,im a british sikh and proud i would defend this nation any day if the time ever came,THE medias gotta stop classin us as asianz