Movie: Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji

sikhness

Sangat Ji,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

I saw a new movie today, called Anoke Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji, here in a movie theater in Virginia, USA. I really liked it, because 1. there were all REAL sikh actors, not mone in dastaars, and 2. because i learned a little history that i hadn't known. One thing i realized is that sikhs in those days were REAL warriors man........ they were the real deal.. they saw a little unjustice and stood up to fight for it... and gave their lives for their faith and beliefs... while i was watching the movie every little hair on my body was standing up from the feeling that people actually were so brave like that... i guess you can hear all these sakhis but when you see it visually it makes a bigger impact.... (for me at least)

A question I wanted to ask was how you guys felt about people acting in roles such as Baba Deep Singh Ji... Nobody acted his part, they just filled his part in with some drawings... The reason behind this is because we believe that nobody else could be as great as the original person. Do you think it should be allowed or not? The reason I ask is because a lot of people came out of the movie complaining that they wished somebody had acted as Baba Deep Singh Ji's part... Just wondering how the sangat felt about this...

Bhul Chukk Maaf

I agree someone gursikh should have played Baba Deep Singh's role. Why does everything have to be left to the imagination? I don't see it as disrespecting Baba Deep Singh's memory/life but more honoring his life and serving as an inspiration for us today. We Sikhs need to stop being so backward in our views. Showing an artists impression is exactly the same as someone playing his part. The Singh with the mega long dhara would have been perfect for the role. I give the film 5/10 for effort but it could have been a lot better.

I agree someone gursikh should have played Baba Deep Singh's role. Why does everything have to be left to the imagination? I don't see it as disrespecting Baba Deep Singh's memory/life but more honoring his life and serving as an inspiration for us today. We Sikhs need to stop being so backward in our views. Showing an artists impression is exactly the same as someone playing his part. The Singh with the mega long dhara would have been perfect for the role. I give the film 5/10 for effort but it could have been a lot better.

so you saw the movie too? which singh with the mega long dhara? what scene was he in?

I agree some gursikh should have played Baba Deep Singh's role. Why does everything have to be left to the imagination? I don't see it as disrespecting Baba Deep Singh's memory/life but more honoring his life and serving as an inspiration for us today. We Sikhs need to stop being so backward in our views. Showing an artists impression is exactly the same as someone playing his part. The Singh with the mega long dhara would have been perfect for the role. I give the film 5/10 for effort but it could have been a lot better.

so you saw the movie too? which singh with the mega long dhara? what scene was he in?

Yes I've seen the movie. Me and my friend went to watch it one evening. We were the only two in the theatre which I found rather surprising. My friend got bored of the movie and walked out half way through.

The Singh I was referring to is one of the two gursikhs who come to Amritsar and discover what has happened and only one (with long white flowing dhara) returns to inform Baba Deep Singh about what has happened whilst the other remains to take on some of the soliders.

Yes I've seen the movie. Me and my friend went to watch it one evening. We were the only two in the theatre which I found rather surprising. My friend got bored of the movie and walked out half way through.

The Singh I was referring to is one of the two gursikhs who come to Amritsar and discover what has happened and only one (with long white flowing dhara) returns to inform Baba Deep Singh about what has happened whilst the other remains to take on some of the soliders.

Oh, yes i remember who you're talking about. When I went to the theater, the hall was packed, because they are only showing it once here. Was your friend gursikh? I didn't think it was that bad, but it was rather longer than expected.