Sikhs Head For The Barber....

RAJ

Here is some hope...

http://m2s.awardspace.com/converts.htm

Ellen - UK 30s Female Embraced Sikhism 2003: Well, I was a convert to it, I loved the Koran and the philosophy books of Shia Islam and so joined. But what I found then was a bunch of totally intolerant, prejuidiced and closeminded people. Islamic scripture is open to interpretion, but I found most people reading out intolerance and oppression.Like when Ayatollah Khamenei permitted genderreasignment, people complained about him. Or women are always seen only as mothers and wifes, never as people in their own right, I wanted to study theology, but some seminaries are only for men and others are expensive and not give scholarships to females.Islam is in the current state due to the people. Jewdaism and Christianity is not more human in its scriptures, but the people read them differently. I still believe in one God.

Wahid Mohammed - Saudi Arabia 36 male embraced Sikhism 2004: I can only find the teachings of Sikhism with no contradictions and total humanity as well as strict belief in One God, just like the Jews, Christians and Muslims.

A through study of Sikhism, shows that love and peace is the ONLY way

to meet with Allah.

Amina - UK 24 Female Embraced Sikhism 2005: I am a young British Pakistani female born and brought up in a fairly strict sunni muslim family. From the age of 18 I had always believed in the quran and sunnah/hadiths, until recently. When islam came under the spotlight due to events of 9/11 and 7/7. I wanted to know why these so called brothers in islam were committing acts of terrorism against innocents and then justifing it with by holding up or reciting the quran. I then did some indepth research of Quran and hadiths and eventually came to the conclusion what the kuffars(non-believers) used to tell me and say on various anti-islam websites was actually true. Prophet Muhammad was nothing more than a sexually obessed, murderous barbarian . I felt ashmed to ever have been looking upto Muhammad as "the best of men" as instructed by my parents. I felt ashmed to think good people like mother teresa would automatically be sent to hell just because she was a non-muslim. I could not believe that in my heart of hearts, I felt betrayed being lead blindly into islam from birth because I knew nothing else.

I didnt know much about Sikhism apart RE lessons at school but didnt used to pay much attention to religions other than Islam. However having recently read the sggs ji and stories of Guru Nanak I felt in my heart this is where I belonged. Only now since I embraced Sikhism in mind and spirit have I truely felt pure, sincere and peace of mind. I have not told my parents of my conversion yet as this would create unneasseary trouble but will let it be known once I have found a suitable Sikh guy and married to him, God willing. I advise any sister or brothers who are still in Islam and have doubts about leaving to considering converting to Sikhism.... Read up on the SGGS (holy book of Sikhs) and see how wonderful and liberating it truely is.

hmmm.... grin.gif ...the repercussions of the beadbi of kesh by "sikhs" themselves…as my brethren papoo told us in another thread, the view point of a uk radio presenter was that the turban is an optional extra for a sikh, just as the veil is to a muslim…his interpretation stems from the fact that the majority of individuals who classify themselves as sikh but do not appear in sabat soorat (i.e. keep kesh and turban)….so the issue is our representation within mainstream society is misinterpreted…..this misinterpretation starts from the grass roots, from within our modern community itself…..before focussing on how we portray the image of the sikh to the mainstream society we live in, we really need to address within our own community what our image really is…

Here are scanned pictures of the actual article. Double page in ful colour. The tImes is one of the UK's biggest selling national newspapers.

post-5979-1164383481.jpg

For some reason i cant add the 2nd page, theres a huge picture of Sri Darbar Sahib (half teh page) in full colour. Along side it is a further artciel with interviews from BOSS. British Organisation of Sikh Students

Here are scanned pictures of the actual article. Double page in ful colour. The tImes is one of the UK's biggest selling national newspapers.

post-5979-1164383481.jpg

....oh the good old media....any excuse..... i think a more positive picture should have been used, atleast the picture in their website showed a sabat soorat singh......

Like a said theres a huge colour picture of Darbar Sahib with a Singh (full saroop) in the sarovar. Just goes to show that teh British people do give Sikhs a seperate identity considering the act the Times has given the story full 2 pages. the story may not be a good one to publicise, but it is the truth.

Like a said theres a huge colour picture of Darbar Sahib with a Singh (full saroop) in the sarovar. Just goes to show that teh British people do give Sikhs a seperate identity considering the act the Times has given the story full 2 pages. the story may not be a good one to publicise, but it is the truth.

sadly is.....question, the whole ethnic monitoring thing that the Sikh Fedaration UK have been lobbying for, what are the benefits to the sikh community? is there a possibility that the a tick box for the sikh ethinic identity may cause further confusion in mainstream society? how do we get around the situation where a majority of people may classify themselves as "sikh" on official forms but not actually be keshdhari?