Women are so under-represented in the Sikh Panth.

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Je Ke Fateh!

It was really nice to see the women preachers on the photo album. However I am feeling that womens are so under-represented in the Sikh Panth.

It has got to the stupid level where we use pictures and the examples to try and convince the masses that we Sikhs are so egalitarian.

There is a wide gap inbetween the theory and the practice. As a women, and as a Sikh, it continually passes my mind why this is so?

I wish to share with the sangat my feelings about this.

It is my feeling that there is a great masculinity in Sikhism, which is swapping the femaninity of the ladies. The femanine ideals in Gurus bani has been left to the side.

It has become a macho affair, the slander and fighting on these boards often show this.

I am begging my brothers and sisters, please take a softer attitude to life. You only turn people away, by acting like foolish mean childs.

Yours sincerely,

Navleen Kaur

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman" (Guru Nanak Dev, // Asa, pg. 473)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare bhen ji, nice to hear from you Navleen bhen ji. I occasionally hear you on the sweet sikhi programme.

Totally agree with bibian being under-represented in the Panth. I think alot of it comes down to role models. Where there are good positive bibain as role models, then many bibian are attracted towards sikhi. We are fortunate here in leeds and bradford, especially singh sabha bradford, we have alot of good biban role models here.

But generally, i think many areas are lacking. Plus when you do get good bibian doing seva, often they disappear after marriage. Too much punjabi culture of a womens place being the home, stuff. We definately need more bibian to become

outspoken and active.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

For Singhnee's its more of a concept of action than words!

Also, its the ridiculous and stereotypical views of what a women should do that some men assume, which is what gets me so annoyed :@

Theres no point in saying that we are under-represented etc. We just have to make a step forward in society by being True Sikhs, taking Amrit, sticking to reht and doing sevaa. The sangat automatically see's the strength in a true Singhnee.

The only reason why women are mis-represented in society is coz some dont care and just want to look pretty rather than think about Sikhi more seriously...but i admire those Singhnee who are in bana and are living as GurSikhs...only those Singhnee's words are of truth.

^_^ @ W*P post..

also.. on the other point.. singhnia should come forward on their own..I hear comments from some bibian "Oh we can't do anything cauz we are not allowed to or we aren't encouraged" etc.. that's bull.. Women need to make road first in order to travel.. means they have to find the way on their own and earn respect for that.. Don't take pity help from others..