Pelican Eats Pigeon

Akhoza

Wont the pelica get sick after that? can it digest it?

I think the pelican intended just to bite it as it was nicking bread peices but it sort of ending up in its mouth as the pigeon tryed to fly away, I bet it hurt the pelican and I imagine it might be stuck down the thoart for a while... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I thought pelicans were vegetarian!!!???????

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I think they eat fish naturally.

Families and tourists in a London park were left shocked when a pelican picked up and swallowed a pigeon.

The unusual wildlife spectacle in St James's Park was caught on camera by photographer Cathal McNaughton.

He said the Eastern White pelican had the unfortunate pigeon in its beak for more than 20 minutes before swallowing it whole.

An RSPB spokesman said: "It is almost unheard of for a pelican to eat a bird. Their diet should be strictly fish."

Mr McNaughton, from the Press Association, said: "The pelican was on the towpath preening itself, and there were a lot of tourists watching it.

"Then the bird got up and strolled along until it reached one of the pigeons, which it just grabbed in its beak.

"There was a bit of a struggle for about 20 minutes, with all these people watching. The pelican only opened its mouth a couple of times.

"Then it managed to get the pigeon to go head first down its throat. It was kicking and flapping the whole way down."

There are currently five pelicans living near Duck Island in St James's Park - four Eastern Whites and one Louisiana Brown.

Pelicans were introduced into the park during King Charles II's reign as a gift from the Russian ambassador.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6083468.stm

So there was a struggle! grin.gif It was stuck in the thoart for 20mins! ohmy.gif